Pearl Jam Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having mixed reactions, but it's a first listen, so that was expected. Kinda underwhelmed by it, especially because they sorta fucked up Speed of Sound (the demo was beautiful) and Got Some doesn't sound nearly as energetic as it should have been.

On the positive side, the middle 1-2 punch of Amongst the Waves and Unthought Known is truly impressive. 2 monster tracks, will probably be even better live.

the middle 1-2 punch of Amongst the Waves and Unthought Known is truly impressive. 2 monster tracks, will probably be even better live.

Yeah, and I would throw "Just Breathe" in there, too. That three song stretch is fucking gorgeousssssssss. wow.

The vocal melody in "Unthought Known"...how he just keeps pushing it and pushing it. Damn. Great stuff.

After a few listens, Just Breathe and Amongst The Waves are the clear favourites! :drool: Gonna See My Friend and Got Some have kinda grown on me but not so much for tracks 3 and 4. Supersonic will be amazing live probably. Speed Of Sound is nice. More to come...

Unthought Known :up:

Last edited:
I think with all I've got going on I can hold out to hear it for the first time in the car, on CD, driving to NYC with my best friend to see a little band called U2. Perfect day.

just trawling through some pj sets on the website... starting to get a bit excited! looks like they regularly play pink floyd and who covers! and it appears we're a chance to get a cover of throw your arms around me too... :drool:

in the mean time i better get some albums :lol:

Fuck!

Holy shit! This album has hit me full on! :faint: The musical head-on collision happened on the way to work this morning when I listened to the album twice in succession. It was pure joy to listen to and I remembered the last time I experienced this feeling when their self titled album grew on me and then later when I heard songs like Come Back and Life Wasted come alive in concert. Anyway, here is how I break down the tracks...

Gonna See My Friend - Was not that thrilled about it initially but now I love it! Perfect rocking opener albeit less garage-y than something like Save You. But terrific kickstart to the album. 4 stars.

Got Some - Same as track 1 pretty much. Didn't like it much at first but then it grew on me. The chorus is the best part! 4 stars.

The Fixer - I like this one but slightly less than the first two tracks. 3.5 stars.

Johnny Guitar - Grew on me a bit but it is still probably my least fav on this album. 3 stars.

Just Breathe - This is like a wonderful combination of Tuolumne and Guaranteed and on top of that, it reminds me of Johnny Cash. Love it! :heart: 5 stars.

Amongst The Waves - Wow! WOW!!!!!! Amazing vocals, uplifting music... goosebumps! Best song on the album by far! 5 stars.

Unthought Known - Brilliant! See the path cut by the moon for you to walk on. Lovely build up leading up to that high pitch vocal bit where Eddie sounds so good! Uplifting music, goosebumps once again! :love: 5 stars.

Supersonic - Love it! Fast paced rocker, seemingly lightweight but not really. It's like the Green Disease of this album I guess. The track position reminds me of a similarly high energy song, Communication Breakdown on LZ-I. ;) 4.5 stars.

Speed Of Sound - Beautiful! This is like the Come Back of this album I suppose? 5 stars.

Force Of Nature - Good song but I think I need to listen to this one even more to appreciate it. 3.5 stars.

The End - Love the lyrics but why such a sad end to an amazingly uplifting joyful album??? It almost doesn't fit here. Nonetheless, by itself it is great! 4 stars.

Man... it'll be interesting to see if this album holds my interest in the coming weeks and months but as of now, I prefer it to their last self titled one. And I like that one a lot too!

:drool: (nothing else to add)

The End - Love the lyrics but why such a sad end to an amazingly uplifting joyful album??? It almost doesn't fit here.

The album is an interesting combination of their most uplifting, but also their most gloomy and depressing lyrics. The End is not the only one - check out Just Breathe, Speed of Sound and Gonna See My Friend.

I agree with you on some of the songs, but the self-titled is for me much superior. This one is as of now my least favourite PJ album, although it does have a few moments (namely Amongst the Waves, Unthought Known and The End).

The album is an interesting combination of their most uplifting, but also their most gloomy and depressing lyrics. The End is not the only one - check out Just Breathe, Speed of Sound and Gonna See My Friend.

I agree with you on some of the songs, but the self-titled is for me much superior. This one is as of now my least favourite PJ album, although it does have a few moments (namely Amongst the Waves, Unthought Known and The End).

Yeah I guess I was paying more attention to the music than the lyrics. Songs like Just Breathe and Gonna See My Friend sound more joyful than they really are I suppose.

But this is your least favourite?? Lower than Riot Act?

Yeah I guess I was paying more attention to the music than the lyrics. Songs like Just Breathe and Gonna See My Friend sound more joyful than they really are I suppose.

But this is your least favourite?? Lower than Riot Act?

Seems to me that Gonna See My Friend is about a guy getting his last ultimate fix (Ed confirmed that the friend in question are actually drugs) and Just Breathe is, like The End, about a man facing his mortality and realizing the end is near. The melody of the latter one is melancholic and sorrowful, nothing joyful about it whatsoever IMO. Maybe unintentionally funny due to that awful countryesque vocal delivery in the verses. ("Yes I understaaaaand" - WTF, Eddie? Although the rest of the song is just fine.)

Although I admit Riot Act can be painfully inconsistent and overlong, its highs are far more memorable than its lows - All or None is a beautiful closer and probably my favourite PJ closer ever (seeing it in Zagreb in 2006 was a treat, since that one is played especially rare - it was actually the only time the song was performed that year), featuring one of my favourite McCready solos. Love Boat Captain (despite the awful title) and I Am Mine are classics in my book. Save You is an amazing rocker. You Are is a really cool experiment. Some of it improved a lot live (Help, Help and 1/2 Full being the primary examples) as well and even some duds (Cropduster, Thumbing My Way) are after a couple of years tolerable. I admit Get Right is a disaster, and Bushleaguer is an already outdated political jerk-off. Way to ruin a perfectly fine Stone riff, Eddie.

Zoots, I love that you love the album. I had a long weekend so I'm just now spinning it for the first time since Friday. (I listened to it about 4 or 5 times on Friday)

All I can really say is "They've done it again." Or at least that's a start. It's another very good album in a long line of very good albums from these guys. Now, seeing as they are a personal favorite band of mine and I identify with them over most every band out there, this has a good chance to end as my top album of 2009. I agree with a lot of your thoughts there, Zoots (including Just Breathe being uplifting and joyous, but I digress).

Before leakage, I was already a fan of the three tracks I'd heard...Got Some, The Fixer, and Speed of Sound. So...

Gonna See My Friend
Just Breathe
Amongst the Waves
Unthought Known

^ Awesome entries into the PJ catalogue. Ed, Stone, Mike, Jeff, Matt...good shit.

Although I admit Riot Act can be painfully inconsistent and overlong, its highs are far more memorable than its lows - All or None is a beautiful closer and probably my favourite PJ closer ever (seeing it in Zagreb in 2006 was a treat, since that one is played especially rare - it was actually the only time the song was performed that year), featuring one of my favourite McCready solos. Love Boat Captain (despite the awful title) and I Am Mine are classics in my book. Save You is an amazing rocker. You Are is a really cool experiment. Some of it improved a lot live (Help, Help and 1/2 Full being the primary examples) as well and even some duds (Cropduster, Thumbing My Way) are after a couple of years tolerable. I admit Get Right is a disaster, and Bushleaguer is an already outdated political jerk-off. Way to ruin a perfectly fine Stone riff, Eddie.

Well, I'll agree with you about the highs of Riot Act. Can't Keep, Save You, Love Boat Captain and I Am Mine are all 5 star tracks for me. Simply brilliant! When the self titled album had just come out and was still growing on me, I actually preferred Riot Act just because of these highlights. And You Are was indeed a very interesting departure for them. Eddie's vocal on Can't Keep is :combust: Reminds me of his Ten days!

Damn, the self titled album is so fucking good too... except for a few mediocre tracks like Parachutes and Big Wave, although I don't mind Parachutes when I'm in the right mood.

Btw, if you notice... both Self titled and Backspacer are structured similarly. The rockers are up front and then comes the mellow Just Breathe/Parachutes but after that it changes a bit.. although I guess I see both as being a bit bottom heavy, but Backspacer is really middle heavy, lol.

Just Breathe, Amongst The Waves, Unthought Known, Supersonic, Speed Of Sound :drool:

Gone, Wasted Reprise, Army Reserve, Come Back, Inside Job :drool:

FUCK YES! In the mood for some PJ again! Time to create playlists, listen to the albums and reminisce the two times I saw them live.

I got Backspacer yesterday and, upon first listen, I really like it. Obviously, I need a few more listens to get more familiar with the album, but so far so good. :up::up::up:

Did this leak? Where can I find it?

It leaked. You can find it on the internet.

What do you think of the album so far, Headache?

And here is the band on the cover of SPIN magazine:

090915-pearl-jam-cover.jpg

Oh and the Spin cover GAF posted is a special edition available only by ordering for $6.99
here: https://spinpromo.circlink.com/Default.aspx if interested. The newstand cover will not feature EV flipping the bird and the special edition has 12 extra pages of "classic Pearl Jam photos".
There's also a 3rd Spin version for subscribers only featuring a cover by Tom Tomorrow.

Got email this morning that my 10c edition has shipped, hopefully it makes the trip from coast to coast by Friday or Saturday at the latest.

It leaked. You can find it on the internet.

What do you think of the album so far, Headache?

eddie's solo work has certainly influenced the songwriting, that's for sure.

the only song that i'm not really crazy about is Johnny Guitar. I didn't like Got Some when they played it on Conan, mostly because the sound quality sucked, but absolutely love the studio version. Always liked The Fixer. Just Breathe and The End are two beautiful tracks... and Pearl Jam was able to accomplish the Soprano's-like abrupt "death" ending to a song much better than U2 was with Cedars. Unthought Known is the type of lyric Bono used to write. Supersonic sounds like it could be a killer live track. i don't know why they don't just go ahead and make Boom an official member, because his involvement gets greater and greater with each record, and he's all over the second half of this record.

i dig it.

now get me some northeast tour dates, damn it.

eddie's solo work has certainly influenced the songwriting, that's for sure.

the only song that i'm not really crazy about is Johnny Guitar. I didn't like Got Some when they played it on Conan, mostly because the sound quality sucked, but absolutely love the studio version. Always liked The Fixer. Just Breathe and The End are two beautiful tracks... and Pearl Jam was able to accomplish the Soprano's-like abrupt "death" ending to a song much better than U2 was with Cedars. Unthought Known is the type of lyric Bono used to write. Supersonic sounds like it could be a killer live track. i don't know why they don't just go ahead and make Boom an official member, because his involvement gets greater and greater with each record, and he's all over the second half of this record.

i dig it.

now get me some northeast tour dates, damn it.

I agree with almost everything 100%, except I still can't get into 'Got Some', I just feel like I've heard it before but for the life of me I can't remember which of their songs it reminds me of...

after a week, i must say that i like this a lot more than their self titled, but a little less than Riot Act. i've been known to rank Riot Act very high though, so that's saying a lot for this album.

I'm not really a Pearl Jam fan but I listened to a broadcast of their London concert tonight on radio and really liked it. I think I'll get the new album, I liked the songs they played at that gig. I have some of their albums, but I never really managed to get into the band. But I totally love the "Into the wild" soundtrack.

i don't know why they don't just go ahead and make Boom an official member, because his involvement gets greater and greater with each record, and he's all over the second half of this record.

That's actually Brendan O'Brien playing. Boom will have some great material to work with on the tour though.

Unthought Known :drool:

Back
Top Bottom