Pearl Jam Discussion Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lolz yea, that's what it is.

They've released the same number of studio albums as U2 have since 2000 - 5. A 6th is due by next year.

If you count all of the side projects, like Eddie's 2 solo albums, RNDM, etc., they've released 23 full studio albums since 2000.

And toured every year but one. And in that one year off? Three separate side projects tours.

Really looks like they're just camping it in and resting on their laurels there. Just packing it in and counting the money.

Must be hard to not care about doing something new.

:wink:

:up: :up:

Well you know the face value (before fees) last time they toured in 2016 was average of like $74.00 for a ticket, and the shows only averaged about 3 hours 15 minutes in length so they are money grubbing greedy bastards who could learn a thing or 2 about treating their fans better from the likes of U2, The Stones, Madonna et al.

74 dollars eh? My first Pearl Jam concert back in 1998 was only 23 dollars.

Lolz yea, that's what it is.

They've released the same number of studio albums as U2 have since 2000 - 5. A 6th is due by next year.

If you count all of the side projects, like Eddie's 2 solo albums, RNDM, etc., they've released 23 full studio albums since 2000.

And toured every year but one. And in that one year off? Three separate side projects tours.

Really looks like they're just camping it in and resting on their laurels there. Just packing it in and counting the money.

Must be hard to not care about doing something new.

It might be easy to mock the poster asking the question, but I get where he's coming from. When they announced the shows yesterday me and a friend were also discussing the fact that there's no new material. And that there hasn't been any new material since 4 1/2 years.
Yes, they toured every year, but the last time supporting a new album was some time ago. In the eyes of my friend, touring without supporting new material is for old farts. (And with her being a huge Springsteen fan, she's not sparing him either.)

So yeah, new Pearl Jam material would be very welcome.

Maybe Pearl Jam, unlike U2, doesn't care if some people see them as "old farts" for touring for the sake of touring. If they enjoy it, and fans keep showing up, why not? Especially when their prices are reasonable compared to other big touring acts.

Hold up ... are you telling me that prices for services and/or goods often go up over time?

It might be easy to mock the poster asking the question, but I get where he's coming from. When they announced the shows yesterday me and a friend were also discussing the fact that there's no new material. And that there hasn't been any new material since 4 1/2 years.
Yes, they toured every year, but the last time supporting a new album was some time ago. In the eyes of my friend, touring without supporting new material is for old farts. (And with her being a huge Springsteen fan, she's not sparing him either.)

Yeaaaa. Nah
They like the money their legacy brings in. Its probably easier than having to create and promote something new.
This is just factually inaccurate, and my response to it was pointing out just how inaccurate it was.

Which is very.

I can't get around to this line of thinking at all. I fucking wish U2 would do the same. Instead we wait years for them to release a lukewarm album and play all the shit songs off it.

And your point is?

I paid less than that first time I saw them, but if you're criticizing them for what they currently charge you are clearly just trolling cause they are very reasonably priced for the product.

Yeah, I'm feeling hopeful that I might not have to pay and arm and a leg to have a chance at a decent spot for Seattle.

And your point is?

I paid less than that first time I saw them, but if you're criticizing them for what they currently charge you are clearly just trolling cause they are very reasonably priced for the product.

Basstrap69 is just trying to show off how thrifty he was back in the day.

We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for m'shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. I didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Sorry, but I agree. I don't have much use for artists who are creatively dried up and aren't consistently putting out new stuff. And, you know, for all the people like Cobbler and LM who think all the new U2 stuff sucks, there are are many others who actually like it a lot and want to see some of it played. Whether the band will play the better tracks off the album is a separate argument.

I would be alright with U2 not playing any SOE or SOI stuff on tour in the sense that I would be able to garner enjoyment from of the show regardless, but I'm with Laz that there would be a part of me disappointed in the band's lack of creative vitality. The U2 I fell in love with frontloaded their sets with 75% of Achtung Baby when it was brand new. That's crazy.

That said, I would still see a band I loved even if they had nothing new to promote. The bigger factor is the ratio of new material to how many times and how recently I had seen them already. If it's the same set and I just saw them the year before, I'll pass.

There's quite a few songs from SoE that I'd love to hear live and would be happy to see in the set: Love is All, Lights of Home, pretty much anything from Summer of Love through Love is Bigger.

The problem I have is that the songs that they are going to emphasise and promote the most are really shit: Get Out, Best Thing, American Soul.

I don't want to see a U2 show that has 10 tracks from SoE including all the worst ones, then seven tracks from my least favourite album of theirs, excluding the best ones.

Sorry, but I agree. I don't have much use for artists who are creatively dried up and aren't consistently putting out new stuff. And, you know, for all the people like Cobbler and LM who think all the new U2 stuff sucks, there are are many others who actually like it a lot and want to see some of it played. Whether the band will play the better tracks off the album is a separate argument.
That's fine...

But this is a band that's far from creatively dried up - their fairly prolific in all of the music that they continue to create, either as a group or individually.

They also happen to really like to get together and play live shows, at cheaper rates than they could probably get, with a tremendous fan club ticketing system, and shows that go on for 3+ hours and play their entire catalog.

But to say this group is playing live shows because it's easier than creating something new and only want money is a preposterous statement.

Pearl Jams last album was 2013.

But they go on tour every year.

They might release a new album in 2019. But who knows for sure.

They charged 23 dollars for tickets in 1998. Adjusted for inflation that is about 35 dollars.

Yet, they are charging 75 dollars for tickets now.

This band has changed. New music is no longer the priority. Shows and some extra dough thanks to the legacy has taken its place.

They charged 23 dollars for tickets in 1998. Adjusted for inflation that is about 35 dollars.

Yet, they are charging 75 dollars for tickets now.

What did U2 charge for tickets on Popmart? What do they charge now?
My guess is the difference is a bit more than Pearl Jam's.
And Pearl Jam has expanded the length of their live shows by about 50% since then as well.

Coupled with the fact that as we all know, bands used to make their money off record deals 20 years ago, but now they have to make their money off of touring, the amount Pearl Jam charges for tickets these days is about the most reasonable out there for a band of their stature, and as I've noted their shows are between 3 - 3.5 hours these days, far longer than most acts not named Springsteen. But you just keep on trolling along basstrap, glad you joined just to make that your mission.

Last edited:
I registered. Ticket prices range from $85 - $115, something like that. $115 for the top price is effing great. Will see if I get selected and am able to find two tickets.

Hoping that this sentence;

Ten Club has made arrangements to get more tickets than ever before exclusively for our members. We are confident we’ll be able to accommodate most, if not all, drawing entries

Keeps me from having to participate in the Verified fan sale, but I'll register as a precaution as won't know about fan club tix till after the verified fan registration ends.

Sounds like they circumvented the 10% fan club rule by playing non Live Nation venues and made deals to get a shit ton of tickets for the Ten Club,

I registered. Ticket prices range from $85 - $115, something like that. $115 for the top price is effing great. Will see if I get selected and am able to find two tickets.

Interesting. The average price for a U2 concert ticket has gone up about 60% since 1997 after you adjust for inflation. The inflation adjusted average price for Popmart is about $82 and they charged an average of about $130 for SOI tour and Joshua Tree 2017.

The inflation adjusted ticket price of a 1998 Pearl Jam concert ticket is about $35. If the new average price for this years tour is $100, then that means Pearl Jam concert tickets on average have nearly tripled in price or gone up about 200% since 1998.

So let me see if I have this straight...
23 Pearl Jam 1998 dollars adjusted for inflation equals 35
43 U2 1998 dollars adjusted for inflation equals 82.

So let me see if I have this straight...
23 Pearl Jam 1998 dollars adjusted for inflation equals 35
43 U2 1998 dollars adjusted for inflation equals 82.

U2 tickets were $52.50 on Popmart in the United States. $52.50 in 1997 adjusted for inflation today is about $82 dollars. Pearl Jams 23 dollars from 1998 adjusted for inflation is about 35 to 36 dollars today.

Interesting. The average price for a U2 concert ticket has gone up about 60% since 1997 after you adjust for inflation. The inflation adjusted average price for Popmart is about $82 .

U2 tickets were $52.50 on Popmart in the United States. $52.50 in 1997 adjusted for inflation today is about $82 dollars. Pearl Jams 23 dollars from 1998 adjusted for inflation is about 35 to 36 dollars today.
$52.50 was the top price not the average ticket price. There were tickets as low as $22.50 on Popmart if I recall

Popmart's gross was about 171 Mil for just under 4 mil tickets sold.

If you want to use $52.50 in 1997/8 for your argument, then you need to use $325.00 for 2018.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom