Pearl Jam Discussion Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always thought Yield was a strong album. Wish list got a lot of radio play but then they did the cover of Last Kiss and that's like the only song radio chose to play by Pearl Jam from 98 to 99.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That shitty cover was entirely responsible for me not liking Pearl Jam for a little while cos it was the only thing I'd heard of theirs at the time. Yield is great though, why anyone would chose to play Last Kiss repeatedly on the radio when In Hiding was also a single around that time is beyond me.

Opening show of tour:

Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
Set List
April 08, 2016

Band On Stage 08:40
Band Off Stage 11:31
Walk On Music: It Happened Today-R.E.M.

(Band comes onstage while walk on music is playing and house lights are on. Pearl Jam starts riffing and playing like the start of the Vs album then house lights go out and Go properly starts)

01. Go
02. Mind Your Manners
03. Corduroy
04. Given To Fly (for Shawn Thornton-Panthers hockey player)
05. Help, Help
06. Deep
07. Nothingman
08. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town

(Ed notes that he only brought one bottle of wine. If he knew so many people were going to show up he would have brought more so he could share. He then tells a story he admits has no point about seeing faces in the tiles of his hotel sink that appear to be judging him. He suspects his toothpaste’s flavor crystals might be dosed. He closes by warning people to watch out and not to let anyone slip anything in their drinks.)

09. Severed Hand
10. Unthought Known
11. Sirens (for sing along outro Ed improvs an outro lyric)

( Ed notes Mike’s 50th birthday and the audience sings Happy Birthday to him. Ed mentions Cheap Trick playing at Mike’s birthday party AND that they are probably being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame at this very moment.)

12. Surrender-(Nielsen)/Cheap Trick {one chorus of the song only}
13. Even Flow
14. Amongst The Waves
15. I Am Mine
16. Swallowed Whole
17. Who You Are
18. Do The Evolution (Ed dances around wearing a Donald Trump mask during an instrumental break of the song)
19. Why Go

Encore Break One
(Ed notes that there are some young kids in the audience at their first concert. He also points out a couple of guests that are in their early 90’s.)
20. Yellow Moon
21. Footsteps
22. Last Kiss-(Cochran) {played to the audience behind the stage)
(Ed goes into the audience on the stage left side much to their delight)
23. Black (while Ed is singing he goes out onto the speakers on stage right and hands picks to a women in the audience. He also sings from Matt’s drum riser)
24. Comatose
25. Lightning Bolt
26. Porch (EV stands on the barricade for the outro)

Encore Break Two
(Ed talks about the crew being part of the family and that Tim Quinlan, known to everyone as “Skully” had died today. He had been a guitar tech and crew member during the first ten years of the band. Visibly emotional, Ed let’s Skully’s family know that he meant very much to the band as well and that they will miss him very much.)
27. Light Years (dedicated to Tim “Skully” Quinlan and his wife and children)
28. Better Man
(during the solo Mike and Ed lean and push on each other while Jeff and Stone rock out next to Boom)
29. Alive
30. Baba O’Riley-(Townshend)

(Ed playing acoustic guitar. He says he was asked to play this song by someone in the audience. He notes that Florida has more veterans than any other state. Clearly emotional he says he will play it for the man’s son Ty?)

31. I Am A Patriot-(Van Zandt)
32. Indifference

They totally blew the roof off in Miami. What a high energy show. Crowd was awesome!

Plated VS in order tonight in Greenville SC:

Bon Secours Wellness Arena
Greenville, SC
April 16, 2016
Set List

Walk On Music: It Happened Today-R.E.M
Band Onstage 08:34
Band Offstage 11:38

01. Corduroy
Vs album in order
02. Go
03. Animal
04. Daughter
05. Glorified G
06. Dissident
07. W.M.A
08. Blood
09. Rearviewmirror
10. Rats
11. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
12. Leash (Ed takes a wireless mic into the audience)
13. Indifference

14. Mind Your Manners
15. Swallowed Whole
16. Sirens
(Ed gives a shout out to Gene Berger at Horizon Records on their 40th anniversary and thanks Mike McCready for buying the guys in the band a whole bunch of vinyl on this record store day.)
17. Let The Records Play
18. Spin The Black Circle
19. Do The Evolution (sings “These LGBT ain’t got nothing on Me”)

Encore Break One

(Ed gives a shout out monitor to engineer Karrie Keyes. He then spots a young girl in the third row on her father’s shoulders. He asks the girl her name. He has her repeat it a few times and says “I stand in front of Matt Cameron all night so I can’t hear a god damn thing….I can’t hear a fucking’ thing. And neither will you after tonight. Say hello to Magda everybody.
He dedicates Future Days to Evan who has no sign of the cancer he was diagnosed with a couple of years ago)

20. Future Days
(Mike starts to play “Given To Fly” but Ed has other plans. While the band switch instruments Ed asks the audience if they know who played this venue first? “You are right, Janet Jackson. Or Miss Jackson if I’m nasty. So no disrespect to Miss Jackson but WE were the first band! We’re back!”)
21. Nothingman
22. Given To Fly
(Ed sees a sign requesting ‘Inside Job’ to remember the Virginia Tech shooting. Ed says they haven’t practiced that song but the next song might apply as well. He expresses disbelief that shootings keep happening and people are still fighting to keep guns so readily available. He wishes that people could move on from small matters like what bathroom a person should use and start taking care of each other. “Life is short and the earth is fragile, this we know..” He essentially pleas for love and respect for all people and for everyone to focus on bigger issues and help and take care of each other)

23. Present Tense

(This song was very important to me growing up. I think the first few times I listened to it I was on mushrooms so I took a few just now…no, no I am responsible. Let’s play it. This song is like jumping off a cliff.)

24. Comfortably Numb-(Gilmour, Waters) {Ed plays Piano on Boom’s riser}
25. Lightning Bolt
26. Porch

Encore Break Two

(Ed thanks the audience for being so good. He spots another young girl and says “is this your first concert? Shaka. You really should see Janet Jackson, she is great but you got this one under your belt now. Ed talks about working with Matt Cameron and said, “someone told me that it was twenty five years ago today for Temple Of The Dog. He explains that he heard a song on a jukebox. Learned it quickly then he and Matt played it at a club.)

27. Last Kiss-(Cochran) {played to audience behind the stage. Mike climbs some seats to get close enough to the audience to let them touch his guitar and after the song he hands out a bunch of picks.}
28. Breath
29. Comatose
30. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
31. Alive (Ed goes into the audience and hugs a guy holding a sign that says “Alive Saved My Life”. Meanwhile Mike goes over the barricade and solos amidst the fans.)
32. Baba O’Riley-(Townshend)
33. Yellow Ledbetter

All of Vs. in order, Comfortably Numb, Baba O'Riley and Yellow Ledbetter all in the same fucking setlist?!?!?!?! I would fucking genuinely kill someone to see that.

Pearl Jam is a touring powerhouse. It's cool to see that they perform so many songs live.

Pearl Jam setlists are unbelievable. We can only dream U2 would ever play a similar length

Last edited:
:sad:

I had tickets. So disappointed.
Yeah I have mixed feelings about this whole cancellation thing.

I totally agree with the message but feel horrible for people that planned on seeing the shows...especially those who spent money on travel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yeah I have mixed feelings about this whole cancellation thing.

I totally agree with the message but feel horrible for people that planned on seeing the shows...especially those who spent money on travel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yeah, i support the cause too, but it sucks for the fans, and I don't think the politicians will care.

I was feeling safe because they hadn't said anything and it was two days away, but then they go and cancel at the last second.

A little surprised they waited till so close to show time to cancel. Would have been a little better for their fans, many of whom travel, if they had announced the cancellation back when Bruce cancelled his show, would have given folks almost 2 weeks notice to alter/cancel plans.

Fans had been speculating since the Bruce cancellation and as each day went by, more and more, everyone assumed the show would go on. While I understand the reason for the cancellation, I don't understand the timing. Should really have been announced at least a week ago.

I'm so conflicted by these cancellations. It's nice of bands to take a stance but as this drt4 bloke says I reeeeeeeally don't think conservative politicians are going to be swayed by rock bands cancelling. I think it really, really sucks for the fans (is North Carolina a place that regularly gets big gigs?) and I think the bands would send a much stronger message by playing the gigs and making a big statement through signs or visuals or proselytising. Like Bono does literally all the time.

The only thing that bugs me is there are other states with bathroom laws and the so-called religious freedom restoration acts that maybe didn't rush their discriminatory grossness into law as quickly as North Carolina did, but with the exception of Bryan Adams canceling a show in Mississippi and Bruce threatening to cancel in Michigan, they're largely ignored in this conversation. North Carolina is where the coverage is. Don't get me wrong, I think it's pretty cool. I also liked what Laura Jane Grace had to say about why she didnt cancel Against Me's show in NC.

I'm so conflicted by these cancellations. It's nice of bands to take a stance but as this drt4 bloke says I reeeeeeeally don't think conservative politicians are going to be swayed by rock bands cancelling. I think it really, really sucks for the fans (is North Carolina a place that regularly gets big gigs?) and I think the bands would send a much stronger message by playing the gigs and making a big statement through signs or visuals or proselytising. Like Bono does literally all the time.

Politicians don't listen to rock stars.

They do, however, listen to businesses...

And a couple of hours ago the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce came out in opposition of HB2 and called for its immediate repeal.

So it's working.

The statement they issued specifically noted 3.2 million in lost revenue since the law went into effect, along with a couple hundred lost jobs that were plegged, and the overwhelming amount of bad publicity.

I do think they probably should have canceled sooner, but the only people who were negatively effected were those who were flying in, or who bought tickets through illegeitamte means. Most hotels have 24 hour cancellation policies, and all tickets bought through Ticketmaster, PearlJam.com or StubHub are fully refundable.

Canceling two weeks ago wouldn't have allowed those who bought plane tickets to get their money back, as most plane tickets are non refundable... and I'd you did pay more for refundable tickets, then you can still get that refund.

Last edited:
Politicians don't listen to rock stars.

They do, however, listen to businesses...

And a couple of hours ago the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce came out in opposition of HB2 and called for its immediate repeal.

So it's working.

The statement they issued specifically noted 3.2 million in lost revenue since the law went into effect, along with a couple hundred lost jobs that were plegged, and the overwhelming amount of bad publicity.

That's good. Do they have power? Will it affect change?

Back
Top Bottom