Pearl Jam Discussion Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
“When you wake up, it might be the first of many blows that you’ll receive”

Not the good kind right?

giphy.gif

Finished my first listen to Earthling. I really like it so far. I love uptempo stuff and this album is loaded with it. :up:

It is definitely a really good album, I actually enjoy it more than anything Pearl Jam has released in 10 years which is saying a lot because I am by no means trying to bash their last 2 albums.

It is definitely a really good album, I actually enjoy it more than anything Pearl Jam has released in 10 years which is saying a lot because I am by no means trying to bash their last 2 albums.

I can understand where you're coming from. I've definitely enjoyed PJ's work on the last few albums, but Earthling doesn't really slow down. Usually PJ throws in some mellow tunes.

Been listening to Earthling almost non stop for 2 weeks. I love it! Long Way, Fallout Today, and The Haves are all tied for my favorite right now. Fallout sounds the closest to PJ on the album. I could totally see PJ performing it. I think The Haves is some of Eddie's best ever. The more I listen to it, the more it chokes me up. :wink: Lots of other great tracks. Those are just a few that come to mind immediately. I really like the Elton song. Love Try also. Cool hearing Stevie Wonder on harmonica.

It's a load of shit that they pull the plug on our show and don't even offer another one on the east coast other than rescheduled shows that are already sold out, but whatever. There's plenty of alternate venues available that could have fit into that September time frame.

Camden NJ is a completely new show, not a rescheduled show.

oh, great. camden, new jersey.

Didn't say it was a great option (unless you're Peef) but just the point that they did add 1 east coast show. They haven't said it's a substitute for Baltimore but it is being sort of perceived as such on PJ board. (Not close enough in my book to be considered one especially on a Wednesday so folks from the lower mod Atlantic less likely to be able to make the trip)

they did say they would do something for Baltimore ticket holders to make up for the cancellation, but much like the "Big Bold and Free" promise from over a decade ago all you got was crickets.

The love given to California is mind boggling especially considering how soft LA market is for rock shows given its population (We remember U2 could only sell 5 of the planned 8 I&E shows, and EdVed had to give free tix away to his solo show in LA a couple weeks ago, plus PJ gave away freebies to Ohana encore weekend last fall).

They played 3 Ohana sets last fall, EdVed also played Ohana solo, and just played LA and San Diego. Now PJ is doing SD, 2 LA, 2 OAK, Fresno and Sacto. (Fresno, seriously? No show in Seattle but a show in Fresno?) Plus EdVed will play Ohana again, and there's rumblings of another encore weekend with 2 PJ nights possibly.

Yet the east coast which has 3 of the top 5 PJ markets (possibly numbers 1, 2 & 3 with Chicago and Seattle rounding out the top 5) gets 1 NYC show and 1 outside of Philly. They better have something bigger planned for 2023.

Didn't say it was a great option (unless you're Peef) but just the point that they did add 1 east coast show. They haven't said it's a substitute for Baltimore but it is being sort of perceived as such on PJ board. (Not close enough in my book to be considered one especially on a Wednesday so folks from the lower mod Atlantic less likely to be able to make the trip)

they did say they would do something for Baltimore ticket holders to make up for the cancellation, but much like the "Big Bold and Free" promise from over a decade ago all you got was crickets.

The love given to California is mind boggling especially considering how soft LA market is for rock shows given its population (We remember U2 could only sell 5 of the planned 8 I&E shows, and EdVed had to give free tix away to his solo show in LA a couple weeks ago, plus PJ gave away freebies to Ohana encore weekend last fall).

They played 3 Ohana sets last fall, EdVed also played Ohana solo, and just played LA and San Diego. Now PJ is doing SD, 2 LA, 2 OAK, Fresno and Sacto. (Fresno, seriously? No show in Seattle but a show in Fresno?) Plus EdVed will play Ohana again, and there's rumblings of another encore weekend with 2 PJ nights possibly.

Yet the east coast which has 3 of the top 5 PJ markets (possibly numbers 1, 2 & 3 with Chicago and Seattle rounding out the top 5) gets 1 NYC show and 1 outside of Philly. They better have something bigger planned for 2023.

the thing that sucks the most about the whole thing is that i'll be in Vegas the week before the scheduled show there. you'd think that just once karma and timing could work in my favor - alas.

i'm hoping there's more shows added to the fall leg - even if it's just another MSG show. it's honestly easier for me to get to the Garden from here than it is to get to Camden fucking New Jersey.

i also know that we (my employers and owners of a large potential DC venue) are whores and will take any business they can get, so it's unclear how it wasn't an easy fix to move the Baltimore show an hour down 95

Thought I'd share a few thoughts on my first Pearl Jam concert. My significant other and I went to see them in Phoenix two nights ago. PJ is his favorite band. I attended more as someone who respects the band and knows all the popular songs.

I realize they mix up their set lists a lot, but just in case...here are a few highlights under the spoiler tag.

From Ten, we got to hear Evenflow, Alive, and Black (the song I'd been hoping for as a casual fan). They weren't planning to play Black, but astronaut Scott Kelly was at the show and requested it earlier in the day.

They also played Dance of the Clairvoyants, which I had hoped to hear. Eddie told a funny story about almost getting hit by a Tesla while riding a motorcycle in San Diego. When he got up next to the Tesla at a stoplight, he thought, hmm, that songs she's playing is really good! Then he realized, oh - that's our song! And the song was Dance of the Cs.

Other notes:

I enjoyed Eddie's story telling. He talked about being stranded with a broken down car in Gila Bend, AZ. He talked about having covid. He encouraged everyone to support a woman's right to choose. He congratulated his niece, who was at the show, on her upcoming graduation from Arizona State. He cracked up about the highway light-up signs around the city that said, "Evenflow on the gas, keep left to pass." He also threw a bunch of tambourines into the crowd and just generally kept people amused between songs. Apparently he loves the Musical Instrument Museum here in Phx.

I have a newfound respect for Mike McCready. And Eddie's voice sounded incredible throughout the show.

Really glad we kept the tickets for two years and finally made it to the show.

Good post [emoji106]

I should try to get to a show here soon. But they have no Chicago shows announced for whatever reason.

Back
Top Bottom