Pearl Jam Discussion Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really cool to see that we have live recordings of the whole albums on Apple Music as of today!

The Tower Records in Boston always stayed open past midnight for those who wanted to by new releases (I think most of their locations did this), so I was in line for No Code as I had been for Vitalogy and Vs before it.

As if the cool album artwork and its include Polaroid reproductions weren’t enough, I remember that they also handed out custom rubber stamps with the No Code logo.

Like you, I didn’t hear Ten until the next year, and while I enjoyed it well enough, I’m not a fan of the production and it’s my least favorite of the first 4 albums. Some days I even prefer Yield. But I did see them at Lollapalooza #2, and they were one of the best acts of the day. I have vivid memories of their entrance: between sets the festival had been playing the Nothing’s Shocking album by the previous year’s headliner Jane’s Addiction, and Pearl Jam walked out in the middle of “Summertime Rolls”. Instead of having the music turned off, Eddie started accompanying the recorded vocals, and led the crowd in a sing-along of its repeated refrain at the outro. Then the band went straight into their opener Why Go.

Good times.

Great story! This is what I'm talking about. Nobody is waiting in line for an album anymore. That is an experience in and of itself. In 92/93, Ten, Achtung Baby, and the Use Your Illusion albums were easily the albums I listened to the most. I couldn't wait for Vs. to be released because by then I was fully invested in PJ.

Got into Jane's Addiction too. That must have been awesome what PJ did! Ahh, the early 90's.

lol my generation had that same experience waiting in line for video games rather than albums. i sat outside a walmart all night with a friend of mine, first and second in line to buy the xbox 360.

Last edited:
I waited in line for a midnight release for the 7th Harry Potter book. That was the last time I did that. I also didn’t sleep until I finished that book. The length my 22 year old self went to avoiding spoilers....

When How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb came out, I went to Walmart at midnight (and surprisingly wasn’t even close to the only one there for U2) and the employees laughed at us and said new releases drop at 8am. We were pretty angry and a manager finally came over and found a box of that album for us.

Last edited:
For Bomb I went to the Brooklyn Bridge concert with a a group that included the lead singer of Unforgettable Fire. We went from there to a bar and ultimately up to Tower Records in Times Square - but had to leave prior to midnight because a few schmucks thought he was actually Bono and caused a scene. Ended up getting the album the next morning at Target.

I worked at Strawberries in the early 90's as an assistant store manager and got to experience several midnight sales, but by far the most memorable was the release of Vs. I had never seen a line so long at a midnight sale before. We had a ton of copies and still ran out.

I worked at Strawberries in the early 90's as an assistant store manager and got to experience several midnight sales, but by far the most memorable was the release of Vs. I had never seen a line so long at a midnight sale before. We had a ton of copies and still ran out.

Not surprising, as Vs. broke the record for most albums sold in one week.

Eddie's got a solo album coming out soon. Didn't know until the other day. Earthling. I heard the first release Long Way. Good stuff. I'll admit, I don't have any Eddie solo stuff, but I think I'm gonna get this one.

huuuuge tom petty vibe on this one. seems like the PJ fans are torn on it but count me as a fan.

i am very much in favor of eddie solo stuff being wildly different than PJ stuff.

I wasn't really going to rush to listen to this, but the mention of Tom Petty has me intrigued.

I actually got a Traveling Wilbury vibe from the song but, a Tom Petty vibe also.

umm-um.gif

just listened to the lead single? or at least the song he's teasing the album with called 'The Haves'

Ummmm... How should I put this? Did he get Bono to write the lyrics? Does this make Your Song Saved My Life pretty good? This is definitely not what I would have hoped for.

I think the Long Way is a good song. This new one...yeah I'll need to give it another listen at some point. I mentioned it before but I just don't think his vocals sound that great anymore to my ears. Kinda makes me sad. Still love him, though.

And I'll be trying to get to a PJ show next year.

Back
Top Bottom