Pavement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My problem with Crooked Rain is that Hit the Plane Down is SO bad, preventing it from being a great listen from start to finish.

None of the other albums have such a glaring cancer on the track listing.

Wowee Zowee was the last of their albums I picked up, and for some reason Grounded is the only track that's completely won me over from it. It's always much better than I remember when I hear it, but I'm still not crazy for it for some reason.

I probably rate them on personal preference like this:

1. Slanted & Enchanted
2. Brighten the Corners / Crooked Rain (never sure which I like more, depends on the day)

4. Terror Twilight
5. Wowee Zowee

Fair enough. I think I picked up Wowee Zowee right after S&E and CR, CR. What about AT&T or Pueblo? I think Grounded and AT&T are up there in regards to my favorite Pavement tracks of all-time. AT&T especially, I mean, how often do you get to say "groovy groovy kitty you little little pity with your slip shag watching back," a line that just rolls of the tongue with a lyrical rhythm like most of my favorite Malkmus lines.

As for Hit the Plane Down, yeah, it's pretty awful. But the rest is so good, I guess I can overlook it in order to love the genius of the remainder of the album. That was a Spiral Stairs song, correct?

Of course it was a Stairs song.

Also with Wowee, I don't know how you can't love We Dance, Rattled By the Rush, Black Out, Father to a Sister of Thought, Half A Canyon, Kennel District...

SO good.

Yeah I've always thought that the opening duo of We Dance and Rattled By The Rush is a pretty fantastic way to kick off the album.

Of course it was a Stairs song.

Also with Wowee, I don't know how you can't love We Dance, Rattled By the Rush, Black Out, Father to a Sister of Thought, Half A Canyon, Kennel District...

SO good.

:lol: You say that like it's a given. He did write some decent songs for the band, if I'm remembering correctly.

Damn, yeah, I don't know how I forgot about all of those. Wowee Zowee's just awesome.

:lol: You say that like it's a given. He did write some decent songs for the band, if I'm remembering correctly.

Yeah, a couple. But Passat Dream certainly doesn't add anything to Brighten the Corners, and is easily the weakest song on there. I'd say the same thing about Western Homes, which is a bit of a weak coda for Wowee Zowee after the epic Half a Canyon.

His finest moment is probably Kennel District or Painted Soldiers.

Yeah, a couple. But Passat Dream certainly doesn't add anything to Brighten the Corners, and is easily the weakest song on there. I'd say the same thing about Western Homes, which is a bit of a weak coda for Wowee Zowee after the epic Half a Canyon.

True. There's certainly no doubt SM was the songwriting genius of the band.

1) Wowee Zowee
2) Slanted & Enchanted
3) Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

4) Brighten The Corners
5) Terror Twilight

"Date w/IKEA" is the best song on Corners. And let's not forget "Preston School of Industry."

:rolleyes:

Shady Lane
Old to Begin
Embassy Row
Blue Hawaiian
Fin
Transport is Arranged
Starlings of the Slipstream
Type Slowly

...all better than IKEA.

Well, Wowee Zowee just kicked my ass. No idea what it was I just heard, but that's what I've always wanted to hear in Pavement. It's as manic as Slanted, but tuneful as Crooked Rain. Perfect combination. :up: I think I may still prefer Crooked Rain; I have so many memories attached to that album, and no less than four of the songs are perfect IMO. That said, I'm stunned.

Am I ready to proclaim myself a Pavement fan? Not quite. I still think Slanted is one of the most overrated albums of the 90s; the only songs on it I enjoy are Summer Babe, Zurich Is Stained, and Here. Nearly everything else is underwritten, amateurish nonsense as far as I'm concerned. :shrug:

One more minority opinion: I probably prefer American Water to any Pavement record, and that album features some of Malk's best vocal performances, in the handful of times he's handed the mic. Completely different lyrical style between David Berman and Malk though, so it sounds a bit strange hearing those words come from his mouth. Took me a while to get used to that.

I just hope more comes of it than the Dismemberment Plan reunion that went nowhere after the concerts. :(

To be honest, I don't care much what happens.. As long as Malkmus is recording something, doesn't matter to me if it's with the Jicks or with Pavement. The style of the songs will be the same, at least with the Jicks he has a tighter band.

THE PAVE! sure would be fun to see live again, though.

Wow. The first thing I thought of is "Will they be recording new Pavement material?"

Because that would be amazing.

If it's just a one-off show...eh. Still cool, but not as cool as if they recorded LP #6.

Well, I don't want to commit to going to New York, nor do I want to suffer through the inferno that is Coachella. I guess I'll sit tight and wait for any show in-between, be it SXSW, Pitchfork, Lolla, whatever.

Sasquatch would be cool, too.

Zomg a compilation! :|

Who doesn't have all of Pavement's material at this point? Even people who don't like Pavement have all of their albums.

Pavement fans, what are your opinions on Silver Jews? Apart from wondering why they've been cast in a precious metal.

Back
Top Bottom