Pavement - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2014, 02:17 AM   #226
45:33

Local Time: 08:29 PM
Pavement

Y U NO MENTlON FILLMORE JIVE

Old 04-24-2014, 03:08 AM   #227
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
Thanks for the recommendations, people. Decided to move on to Crooked Rain. Fucking amazing. I prefer it over Wowee Zowee after the first few listens. That initial run from "Silent Kid" all the way through "Gold Soundz" is really close to flawless. Other than the obvious singles, I'm really feeling "Elevate Me Later" and "Stop Breathin."
I've said this before but since you're recently in this discussion I'll reiterate: my issue with Crooked Rain (and let me be clear: I still think it's a great album) is that it's a little too homogenous for me in that its sound is a little more "classic rock" (and I put that in quotes because it's their own special brand of it) than the other albums. Wowee Zowee just impresses me more overall because it really runs the gamut sound-wise; as said by many others before it's their White Album.

Also, Hit The Plane Down is arguably the worst song on any of their LPs. So there's that black spot.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:10 AM   #228
Blue Crack Supplier

Also, here's a treat for those who haven't heard the special edition re-releases of the albums. This is a B-side from the Rattled By The Rush single:

Old 04-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #229
Refugee

Local Time: 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Not sure why anyone would suggest listening to solo SM before finishing off the rest of Pavement.

I don't know where you're getting this from but that's complete bullshit.
Because the Jicks are just as good. If he was listening to them in chronological order I wouldn't suggest that because there's a clear line of development from Crooked Rain to Wigout, but Pig Lib and RET are just as good as Slanted, and they're ignored because they don't wear the Pavement brand name. There's no reason Pavement should sell 10x as many albums or play to 10x the people as Jicks. It's just branding.

It's common knowledge that most of the instruments aside from drums are Malkmus; Steve West confirmed it. The only album they recorded as a band is Brighten the Corners. The Jicks are actually more of a band that Pavement, yet they're considered a solo project. Go figure.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #230
Refugee

Quote:

Also, Hit The Plane Down is arguably the worst song on any of their LPs. So there's that black spot.
I don't think you'll find much argument against Hit the Plane Down being the worst song on a Pavement album. Sometimes I really like it, but just as often it's torture. As was shown by the reissue, there was a shit load of stuff they could have put on instead.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #231
45:33

Local Time: 08:29 PM
I don't see why everyone hates Hit the Plane Down. I like it. 5-4=Unity is easily the worst track on Crooked Rain.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #232
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:29 AM
Because it's atonal garbage?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #233
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
It's common knowledge that most of the instruments aside from drums are Malkmus; Steve West confirmed it. The only album they recorded as a band is Brighten the Corners. The Jicks are actually more of a band that Pavement, yet they're considered a solo project. Go figure.
Confirmed it where?

There's no allegations of the sort in Perfect Sound Forever, which interviewed all of the band members.

And for what it's worth, I enjoy both Pig Lib and Real Emotional Trash more than Slanted, and find the Jicks (at least the Janet Weiss incarnation) to be a tighter/more "professional" band than Pavement was. Of course, that's not what made the latter great, and like it or not the Pavement material is still considered more essential and should be heard first for context.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #234
War Child

Local Time: 03:29 AM
Quote:
Confirmed it where?

There's no allegations of the sort in Perfect Sound Forever, which interviewed all of the band members.
I think there's a good chance he's referring to these quotes:

WEST: Most of the recording was just me and [Malkmus] in a room with a guitar and drums. Then he’d do other guitars over it and work through the bass. Scott would come over and do his songs with me. It wasn’t as if we were all playing at the same time like we did in later albums.

MALKMUS: So it was basically just me and Steve [West] doing the rough takes, and Mark [Ibold] would come by sometimes. Scott was there for part of the time. I ran Steve through the drums and then I just built all the songs up from that. Sometimes Scott would add some guitar and Mark played bass on a couple things, but it was mainly me and Steve messing around in there. So we had tapes and we did it. It was really primitive!

Those are quotes about the Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain era found here: The Oral History Of Pavement’s Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain - Stereogum
Old 04-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #235
Blue Crack Supplier

Hollow Island's statement implied that this was the case for ALL the Pavement albums, something that West contradicts in that same quote.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #236
War Child

Quote:
I've said this before but since you're recently in this discussion I'll reiterate: my issue with Crooked Rain (and let me be clear: I still think it's a great album) is that it's a little too homogenous for me in that its sound is a little more "classic rock" (and I put that in quotes because it's their own special brand of it) than the other albums. Wowee Zowee just impresses me more overall because it really runs the gamut sound-wise; as said by many others before it's their White Album.

I definitely can see what you mean about Crooked Rain, but thankfully, the sound that most of that album settles into is a sound that really does it for me. And even though there're definitely strong stylistic similarities throughout, the differences between, say, "Unfair," "Cut Your Hair," and "Stop Breathin," are definitely enough to keep it interesting for me.

So far, I'd say I enjoy Crooked Rain holistically slightly more than Wowee Zowee, but I think I prefer the peaks on the latter. While a little more inconsistent to me, there's nothing on CRCR that quite reaches the level of transcendence that something like "Grounded" or "Pueblo" does.

Is it a widely established fact that early Modest Mouse was heavily influenced by Pavement? Because I'm realizing a lot of what I love about This is a Long Drive and even some of The Moon & Antarctica sounds heavily indebted to Wowee Zowee, to me.

Quote:
Hollow Island's statement implied that this was the case for ALL the Pavement albums, something that West contradicts in that same quote.
Ah, true, good point.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #237
Blue Meth Addict

I feel like all Pavement discussion ends up in a rehash of opinion, but here's mine for the dozenth time:

I like Slanted & Enchanted and Brighten the Corners a lot. Terror Twilight and Crooked Rain a decent amount. Wowee Zowee, considerably less than the rest.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #238
Refugee

Quote:
No, I said they recorded Brighten the Corners as a band. I read recently, maybe on the Jicks board, that according to West 90% of what you hear on Pavement is him and Malky.

The Jicks were just as tight with Moen on drums, and had a bit more swing to them. Check out that Toronto bootleg on the previous page, it's awesome.

I know Pavement is considered more essential and was more culturally important, but far too many people listen to them and don't bother checking out the Jicks, which is crazy. I listened to Malkmus' work in order over the winter and it's a fascinating development. I'm going to do that soon with Animal Collective.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:20 PM   #239
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
No, I said they recorded Brighten the Corners as a band. I read recently, maybe on the Jicks board, that according to West 90% of what you hear on Pavement is him and Malky.
Your original post:

Quote:
Face the Truth (a very diverse record with incredible lyrics), and Real Emotional Trash (long epic jams) are also great. His solo stuff is vastly underappreciated and it's all part of one train. He played everything but drums on the Pavement records, so it was basically already a solo project.
You didn't specify anything about Brighten The Corners until your subsequent post.

From Perfect Sound Forever:

CROOKED RAIN

"I flew out to New York for almost a month," says Kannberg, "and we did the record and mixed it. Mark was there every day and he played bass on a bunch of songs"

WOWEE ZOWEE

Malkmus decided that since they played together for a solid eighteen months they should try, for the first time, to record an album as a band rather than in the splintered manner used before.

Nevertheless, according to Steve West, the quintet were really feeling like a band as they started work. "I think it was, for me, a culmination of touring"

It was the first time Nastanovich had fully participated in an album session, and he enjoyed the experience. "I was in the far corner of the room in a booth with my drums and my Moog"

If you're going to make exaggerated claims, back it up with some legit evidence, not "I read on some Jicks internet forum" bullshit.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:31 PM   #240
Blue Crack Supplier

TERROR TWILIGHT

After the mini break, everyone came back refreshed and ready to go again, and things went much more smoothly. It took about two weeks to get most of the backing tracks done, and the band played like a band again.

Nastanovich finished his parts in New York.

Tags
pavement