Pavement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your original post:

You didn't specify anything about Brighten The Corners until your subsequent post.

From Perfect Sound Forever:

CROOKED RAIN

"I flew out to New York for almost a month," says Kannberg, "and we did the record and mixed it. Mark was there every day and he played bass on a bunch of songs"

WOWEE ZOWEE

Malkmus decided that since they played together for a solid eighteen months they should try, for the first time, to record an album as a band rather than in the splintered manner used before.

Nevertheless, according to Steve West, the quintet were really feeling like a band as they started work. "I think it was, for me, a culmination of touring"

It was the first time Nastanovich had fully participated in an album session, and he enjoyed the experience. "I was in the far corner of the room in a booth with my drums and my Moog"

If you're going to make exaggerated claims, back it up with some legit evidence, not "I read on some Jicks internet forum" bullshit.

I don't really care if you believe me or not, but since you did the frankly insane thing and found and typed up a bunch of quotes I took five minutes of my day and did the same for you. I'm pretty sure that there's stuff in the 33/3 book about Malkmus playing most of the instruments. It's actually a well known fact that he was a Corgan/Shields type in the studio.

SM: That was our most band-oriented album. Everyone played more instruments, and like, Bob Nastanovich double-drummed on a couple songs. Mark [Ibold] played bass on almost all the songs. The ones before that were a little more controlled by me, and Scott [Kannberg] to a lesser extent, in terms of the songs and playing on the records.

Westie Can or Cannot Drum???? (Page 1) - boards - stephenmalkmus.com

steve told me that malk would, at least with "his" songs, often play all of the guitar parts and the bass, so most of what you hear on pavement records CRCR and after is just steve west and stephen malkmus. maybe the next time i see steve i'll ask him if he remembers who played on
"rattled by the rush" but i cannot answer that question for you.

Oh, ok. I'm supposed to believe heresy from some random dude on a fan message board over a biography that had participation from all the band members.

Get the fuck out of here with that shit, seriously.

Well it does jive with the Malkmus quote I graciously provided you, doesn't it? And again, it's fairly common knowledge. Perhaps Malkmus doesn't out-right say "I played most of the instruments" because he's a classy guy?

Here's something else actually FROM West that corroborates the story of the guy who knew West. I forgot that this was Interference, where you need to provide a fucking bibliography for everything you say. Google that quote if you want the link.

WEST: Most of the recording was just me and [Malkmus] in a room with a guitar and drums. Then he’d do other guitars over it and work through the bass. Scott would come over and do his songs with me. It wasn’t as if we were all playing at the same time like we did in later albums.

Here he's referring to BtC, which is the only record they actually made as a band. Wowee Zowee and Terror Twilight are both mostly Malkmus. It's a fact. I don't know why that's so offensive to you. Me, I find it odd that the band was more of a solo project that the so-called solo project.

How could he be referring to BTC if he says "...as we did in later albums" since there was only one more after that?

And I've already seen that quote. You've added nothing new here.

Really not interested in discussing with this you any further. I don't think you know what you're talking about. I've been following Pavement for over 20 years and have gobbled up almost every interview available. So thanks but no thanks.

Back
Top Bottom