Passion Pit - Manners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In fairness , my high regard of IGC might be biased by the fact that CutCopy come from my home town, and I'm so proud that these guys in particular are making a big impression overseas, and I just love the sounds, cause for me, it has a Melbourne feel, and it just gives me chills......so yeah, parochialism is possibly playing a part in my personal acclaim for IGC.

I hate Melbourne, and I still think it's a great album.

... nah, I kid. Melbourne's fine, and IGC is probably my favourite album from last year, actually. That said, as Manners is quite likely my favourite album from this year so far, it'll be interesting to see which one ages better for me.

In fairness , my high regard of IGC might be biased by the fact that CutCopy come from my home town, and I'm so proud that these guys in particular are making a big impression overseas, and I just love the sounds, cause for me, it has a Melbourne feel, and it just gives me chills......so yeah, parochialism is possibly playing a part in my personal acclaim for IGC.

I can understand and respect that. I'm probably a bit overly critical of some of the lesser tracks, as the 5 best tracks from In Ghost Colours are so good to me that I can't help but feel a little disappointed if some of the other songs aren't at the same level. Regardless, I'm happy enough with the 5 tracks from the album I love that I'll probably buy their next album without having to hear anything from it.

what's sleepyhead like on the ep? because i am absolutely digging it at the moment.

really is a good record, this one. got halfway through kasabian's and then changed it back :lol:

They're the exact same. Exact.

The EP is still better than the album.

Ok, due to my great respect for the passion clowns like Impy and Scumbo and maybe even LMP have for music, I gave Sleepyhead a listen. And, to be fair, I listened to it 3 different times today, at 3 different periods during the day. And, yeah, I guess everyone is hearing something different than I am, because I don't like it at all.

Should I give it one more try some other time and hope I hear what I'm missing? I don't know.

It's certainly not for everyone. If it doesn't do anything for you from the get go, it'll be tough to have it work out after more listens. This band never struck me as a grower. You like it or you don't.

I still come back to it regularly myself, never getting sick of it.

In Ghost Colours is far superior to Manners, largely because it's so much more cohesive, focused, and loaded with hooks. Manners has the hooks, sure, but it's all over the place, and it's so damn fluffy. That said, I love both, it's just that In Ghost Colours has so much more weight, and I could see myself listening to it for years to come. Manners has fantastic individual tracks such as The Reeling, Sleepyhead, and Little Secrets, but I'll likely only come back for those.

Ok, due to my great respect for the passion clowns like Impy and Scumbo and maybe even LMP have for music, I gave Sleepyhead a listen. And, to be fair, I listened to it 3 different times today, at 3 different periods during the day. And, yeah, I guess everyone is hearing something different than I am, because I don't like it at all.

Should I give it one more try some other time and hope I hear what I'm missing? I don't know.

There isn't a lot to miss. It's hooky, sugary indie with largely electronic instrumentation and testicle-in-a-vice vocals. If it doesn't grab you on the first few listens, it's probably just not for you. In all likelihood, no one is going to remember Passion Pit in five years anyway, so you're not exactly missing out on a musical revolution here. Just some fun, summery pop.

I just love the hook, and then the upbeat synth that follows. Also found the EP for 6 bucks while I was looking for the Miley Cyrus single for my sister's birthday today, so I grabbed it.

Yeah, if it's not clicking, don't try to force it. In Ghost Colours hit me immediately and I still listen to it, but I don't think that'll carry over for these guys though.

Yeah, The Backstreet Boys are from Orlando, so I always give them a spin...

No yet Bonnie, but I'll be the first on the bandwagon.

You bastards forced me to part with $20 of my very hard earned today when I got In Ghost Colours. And there's no lyrics! 15 songs is good though.

Sleepyhead is one of my least favourite songs on the album.... Just thought I'd throw that out there.

So, in all seriousness--why should I listen to this? I feel like I very often make recommendations and not nearly often enough take them. What's to like, here? What's to love? What makes the record worth my time? Fill me in.

Nice beats. Some good hooks. A generally decent "fun time" record. If you want some weight, you're in the wrong place. It is what it is. Terribly light, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Dad: What's this shit? Fucking terrible song.
Me: Just some new music.
What?
New music.
We bought you up to have better taste in music than this.
Mmm.
What're they called?
Passion Pit.
More like Shit Pit.

Back
Top Bottom