Passion Pit - Manners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Were you a poli sci major? Please give me career advice if so.

I think there is something about the exchange rate which makes it not as expensive as it seems (I falmost failed macroeconomics) , though I do recall paying less for new release albums in the US when I was there.

It worked out to be, back then:

AUD $14 - in the USA
AUD $20 - in AUS

So I suppose it was quite a significant difference. Regardless, I do enjoy this album and will pick up a copy, especially if there is a lyric booklet.

"Higher and higher and higher, higher and higher and higher....."

I'd go look in the booklet for my own copy, but it's in the car and I can't be arsed going out there right now, and besides, you should buy the album because otherwise the band may as well be dead and buried or something.

... Ah, to hell with it. To Kingdom Come and Eyes as Candles have their names switched around on my copy which confused me, but here you go:

(I believe in you so you'd believe in)
me, I cried out "God!"
You dared me in the dark
I felt a hush fall quietly from my spark
So now I hide in piles
Of princely orange peels
It feels the way you told me
How it'd always feel

Were you a poli sci major? Please give me career advice if so.

Yes, but it was a "International Politics" major under the political science dept. I think they discontinued that program and switched to a International Relations major a few years later (that one required massive amounts of economics classes, so I was glad I was already done by then). If your school does some sort of semester in DC, do it. It would have made me have to stay in school an extra semester to do it, so I decided to just graduate. In retrospect, I wish I would have the DC thing, as a huge percentage of the people I had classes with who did it got jobs in DC right out of college.

I minored in Japanese studies, and both jobs I've had since graduating had been attained through Japanese skills / international experience. I haven't really done anything based on political science, but it has come in handy now and again to make people I work with look clueless about the markets they handle from time to time. :wink:

What do you want to do?

Did you minor in Policing Online Piracy (POP for short)?

No, POP is just my passion.

Hollaaaa. I need to give this album another spin, since I remember liking it but can't recall why. iTunes cures short-term memory loss.

I'd go look in the booklet for my own copy, but it's in the car and I can't be arsed going out there right now, and besides, you should buy the album because otherwise the band may as well be dead and buried or something.

... Ah, to hell with it. To Kingdom Come and Eyes as Candles have their names switched around on my copy which confused me, but here you go:

(I believe in you so you'd believe in)
me, I cried out "God!"
You dared me in the dark
I felt a hush fall quietly from my spark
So now I hide in piles
Of princely orange peels
It feels the way you told me
How it'd always feel

Ah superthanks Bonnie.

You're beyond Gary Ablett Jnr; you're beginning to evolve into something greater, his father. On the field, anyway...

Great lyric that.

Giving this another spin right now, and holy shit is it good.

I'm really feeling "The Reeling" right now.

Probably not loving this as much as all you are, as the vocals are irritating at times, hard to make out what he's singing, and it's all pretty similar (which I'm finding is a common thread with all these 'indie' records), but The Reeling is sensational, Swimming in the Flood I really like, and the first two, Make Light and Little Secrets I think, get the album off to a blinder of a start

The vocals were the big turn-off for a friend of mine too, though he really doesn't like electronic-esque music anyway. I think the lyrics are a lot easier to make out on their EP, Chunk of Change. There's a lot more instrumentation on top of everything else on Manners that wasn't there for Chunk of Change, which makes his voice/lyrics harder to pick out.

"Make Light" and "Little Secrets" definitely start the album off right, like you said. I also like "To Kingdom Come" and "Let Your Love Grow Tall" quite a bit too.

It's funny, I actually just put this album on the other day for the first time in awhile, and "Make Light" got me right back in the mood to listen to it more. It's an awesome song, for sure. The one thing I wish they would've done though is balanced out the upbeat and the slower songs. It's pretty split in half, with the first being way more up and the second being so down. It's a little strange to have them be so polarized, I think.

Yeah, it's the vocals that minimise my appreciation for this album. Detracts significantly from the opening track I reckon.

I could not possibly agree any more with the above two posts.

It is a bit of a shame when you've got the pulsating Make Light, followed by catchy and quick Little Secrets, and also The Reeling, and the second half trails off a bit.

I realize I never really posted impressions on the album. I like Chunk of Change better, but I still think the album is this year's In Ghost Colours, a fun, dancey, upbeat album perfect for a party. It doesn't have the gravity of In Ghost Colours though.

So yeah, it's slight, but what were we really expecting? It's a fun, if somewhat uneven, album. That's really all I wanted it to be. It's rare to get a danceable album with real weight behind it (the last I can think of is Sound of Silver), so I'm fine with what we got here. Manners is what it is, and I like it for that.

Probably not loving this as much as all you are

Nor am I, but it's still decent enough. Realistically, this forum is hyping this album quite a bit more than anywhere else I've seen. Actually, I haven't even seen it mentioned once on other music forums I frequent. I'm surprised the vocals are so "make or break" for most people, I don't find them remotely irritating or distracting personally. I guess I don't even notice lyrics or vocals half of the time though, so that probably helps.

I'm not sure what "indie" records you're listening to that you're thinking are all "samey", but it must be the wrong ones. :wink:

The reason I got so into Hot Chip I think was because it was a dancey record with all kinds of songs, but the vocals are really distinctive and even without a booklet they're quite easy to get and be singing within a few listens. So far all I've been able to make out on this one is "oh no" from The Reeling, "you come beating down like moth's wings" and "swimming in the flood". One of the first albums in a while I've run into where I think I'm only going to like a certain few.

You're probably right :lol:

Hot Chip gets massive props for basing a song off of Burton's Batman. That's awesome.

Yeah, I've been enjoying this album a good deal since it floated into my regular rotation, but I can't say it's something great. Definitely fun and solid throughout though.

Ready For the Floor. "You're my number one guy". That album is such a clunker in comparison to The Warning, massively disappointing for me.

Ah nice :up: And yes! thank you. I might have heard Warning first, but Made in the Dark, apart from a couple of songs, just pales in comparison. I think I deleted the last two or three songs of my itunes altogether, they're boring as hell.

The Warning's high points were so unbelievably great, it was hard to not be immediately disappointed with even 'Ready For The Floor' being the first single. Such a drastic difference in quality between that and any of the singles from The Warning.

The Warning's high points were so unbelievably great, it was hard to not be immediately disappointed with even 'Ready For The Floor' being the first single. Such a drastic difference in quality between that and any of the singles from The Warning.

As much as I love "Ready for the Floor," I definitely agree.

Gotta get that album.

Can I just say, that Swimming in the Flood might just be my favourite song since Radiohead's Weird Fishes. Incredible song.

edit - oh my god! the album debuted at 19 in Australia! there's half-decent music in our top 20 for once! rejoice!

obviously just doesn't resonate as well "can i get that boom boom boom boom boom"

Certainly no In Ghost Colours, that album is sheer magic.

Interesting. Despite the fact that I was probably singing its praises earlier than most here, it didn't last long at all. I kinda feel like it's 5 great songs and 10 pieces of extremely forgettable filler. I don't like listening to it as an album at all. I'd take the low points on Manners above the low points on In Ghost Colours any day of the week, and I'm not really all that gung ho on Manners either.

Interesting. Despite the fact that I was probably singing its praises earlier than most here, it didn't last long at all. I kinda feel like it's 5 great songs and 10 pieces of extremely forgettable filler. I don't like listening to it as an album at all. I'd take the low points on Manners above the low points on In Ghost Colours any day of the week, and I'm not really all that gung ho on Manners either.

In fairness , my high regard of IGC might be biased by the fact that CutCopy come from my home town, and I'm so proud that these guys in particular are making a big impression overseas, and I just love the sounds, cause for me, it has a Melbourne feel, and it just gives me chills......so yeah, parochialism is possibly playing a part in my personal acclaim for IGC.

Back
Top Bottom