Passion Pit - Manners - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #106
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:41 AM
I realize I never really posted impressions on the album. I like Chunk of Change better, but I still think the album is this year's In Ghost Colours, a fun, dancey, upbeat album perfect for a party. It doesn't have the gravity of In Ghost Colours though.

So yeah, it's slight, but what were we really expecting? It's a fun, if somewhat uneven, album. That's really all I wanted it to be. It's rare to get a danceable album with real weight behind it (the last I can think of is Sound of Silver), so I'm fine with what we got here. Manners is what it is, and I like it for that.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #107
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Probably not loving this as much as all you are
Nor am I, but it's still decent enough. Realistically, this forum is hyping this album quite a bit more than anywhere else I've seen. Actually, I haven't even seen it mentioned once on other music forums I frequent. I'm surprised the vocals are so "make or break" for most people, I don't find them remotely irritating or distracting personally. I guess I don't even notice lyrics or vocals half of the time though, so that probably helps.

I'm not sure what "indie" records you're listening to that you're thinking are all "samey", but it must be the wrong ones.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #108
45:33

Local Time: 03:41 AM
The reason I got so into Hot Chip I think was because it was a dancey record with all kinds of songs, but the vocals are really distinctive and even without a booklet they're quite easy to get and be singing within a few listens. So far all I've been able to make out on this one is "oh no" from The Reeling, "you come beating down like moth's wings" and "swimming in the flood". One of the first albums in a while I've run into where I think I'm only going to like a certain few.

You're probably right
Old 07-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #109
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Hot Chip gets massive props for basing a song off of Burton's Batman. That's awesome.

Yeah, I've been enjoying this album a good deal since it floated into my regular rotation, but I can't say it's something great. Definitely fun and solid throughout though.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:38 AM   #110

Which song, out of curiosity?
Old 07-14-2009, 12:42 AM   #111
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Which song, out of curiosity?
Ready For the Floor. "You're my number one guy". That album is such a clunker in comparison to The Warning, massively disappointing for me.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:48 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Ready For the Floor. "You're my number one guy". That album is such a clunker in comparison to The Warning, massively disappointing for me.
Ah nice And yes! thank you. I might have heard Warning first, but Made in the Dark, apart from a couple of songs, just pales in comparison. I think I deleted the last two or three songs of my itunes altogether, they're boring as hell.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #113
Blue Meth Addict

The Warning's high points were so unbelievably great, it was hard to not be immediately disappointed with even 'Ready For The Floor' being the first single. Such a drastic difference in quality between that and any of the singles from The Warning.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:51 AM   #114

One Pure Thought excepted, I totally agree
Old 07-14-2009, 02:03 AM   #115
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The Warning's high points were so unbelievably great, it was hard to not be immediately disappointed with even 'Ready For The Floor' being the first single. Such a drastic difference in quality between that and any of the singles from The Warning.
As much as I love "Ready for the Floor," I definitely agree.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:22 AM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Certainly no In Ghost Colours, that album is sheer magic.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:19 AM   #117

Gotta get that album.

Can I just say, that Swimming in the Flood might just be my favourite song since Radiohead's Weird Fishes. Incredible song.

edit - oh my god! the album debuted at 19 in Australia! there's half-decent music in our top 20 for once! rejoice!

obviously just doesn't resonate as well "can i get that boom boom boom boom boom"
Old 07-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #118
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
Certainly no In Ghost Colours, that album is sheer magic.
Interesting. Despite the fact that I was probably singing its praises earlier than most here, it didn't last long at all. I kinda feel like it's 5 great songs and 10 pieces of extremely forgettable filler. I don't like listening to it as an album at all. I'd take the low points on Manners above the low points on In Ghost Colours any day of the week, and I'm not really all that gung ho on Manners either.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:57 AM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:11 AM
Quote:
edit - oh my god! the album debuted at 19 in Australia! there's half-decent music in our top 20 for once! rejoice!
That's interesting, I've heard The Reeling a few times on the radio, but otherwise I didn't think it had much impact at all. Pretty cool, though.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:12 AM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Quote:
Interesting. Despite the fact that I was probably singing its praises earlier than most here, it didn't last long at all. I kinda feel like it's 5 great songs and 10 pieces of extremely forgettable filler. I don't like listening to it as an album at all. I'd take the low points on Manners above the low points on In Ghost Colours any day of the week, and I'm not really all that gung ho on Manners either.
In fairness , my high regard of IGC might be biased by the fact that CutCopy come from my home town, and I'm so proud that these guys in particular are making a big impression overseas, and I just love the sounds, cause for me, it has a Melbourne feel, and it just gives me chills......so yeah, parochialism is possibly playing a part in my personal acclaim for IGC.

Tags
passion pit