Passion Pit - Manners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That'd be cool. Hopefully tickets won't cost much, I'd consider it.

Incidentally, I think I like Manners a fair whack better than In Ghost Colours. A few too many boring, repetitive, average mid-tempo tracks on IGC.

A few too many boring, repetitive, average mid-tempo tracks on IGC.

I'd have to agree with that, though I like the high points on In Ghost Colours more than the high points of the PP album. Regardless, they're both fun.

Passion Pit is still $7.99 at Best Buys here in the US, great price if you're interested and haven't picked it up.

I'd have to agree with that, though I like the high points on In Ghost Colours more than the high points of the PP album. Regardless, they're both fun.

Passion Pit is still $7.99 at Best Buys here in the US, great price if you're interested and haven't picked it up.

I get paid Thursday, I'll be getting it then. :) I bought Chunk of Change in the mean time.

Awesome. I wanted something of a preview before I saw them at Lolla. Just a shame it'll involve improving Jimmy Fallon's ratings.

If so, he'll be laughing by himself, and the crowd will look confused and bored. ...you know, same as always for his show.

The only 2 redeeming things about his show are The Roots and the fact that he gets tech/video games guys on his shows on a regular basis.

Also, Paul Simon playing "Late in the Evening" with The Roots was off the fucking chain.

For those in the NY area, they are playing in Central Park with Phoenix on September 25 and 26. The first show is apparently sold out. The second could be a wonderful thing to do following U2 on 24-25 Sep...

I can't view Hulu at work, but the episode is there if you missed the show last night (like I did).

Dad: What's this shit? Fucking terrible song.
Me: Just some new music.
What?
New music.
We bought you up to have better taste in music than this.
Mmm.
What're they called?
Passion Pit.
More like Shit Pit.

:lol:

I just read through this whole thread for the first time. So did everybody get sick of Passion Pit or what? I confess I have listened to this damn record 6 million times over the last 5 months or so. I have never gotten tired of it. It makes me insanely happy every time I listen to it.

For me, it was more being disappointed with the album in relation to the highly enjoyable EP. But there is still plenty I like about the album, even if most of it is fluff. It's a fun listen, and that hasn't changed. And I do stand by my statement that it is a much lighter In Ghost Colours in that it's the most dancey album I've gotten into this year. But In Ghost Colours murders Manners. Murders. Knife crimes, even.

Their absolute failure as a live act in October didn't help my interest, either.

Sold out their gig at Corner Hotel next month, not that I would've gone. haven't listened to this album in a while actually. Just find the vocals rather unpleasant...

:lol:

I just read through this whole thread for the first time. So did everybody get sick of Passion Pit or what? I confess I have listened to this damn record 6 million times over the last 5 months or so. I have never gotten tired of it. It makes me insanely happy every time I listen to it.

"Sleepyhead" and "The Reeling" get constant plays at Chez LMP, with the former becoming my drunken party anthem.

I still think Manners is one of the strongest albums I've heard all year. :shrug: Best dance-pop of 2009, a year that was hardly lacking in it.

I'd still put Pa-ho-nix's Wolfgang above this, as far as catchy electro-pop is concerned.

Excellent record, but the album nosedives after Lasso. Manners holds strong all the way through, with Sleepyhead being a late album standout.

Good to see BLK JKS on that list. Did anyone talk about them on this site? I kept meaning to ask about them, because I really dig (most of) their album.

Anyway, maybe I need to give Passion Pit another chance. I tried earlier this year, but I couldn't get into it.

Good to see BLK JKS on that list. Did anyone talk about them on this site? I kept meaning to ask about them, because I really dig (most of) their album.

I heard their album maybe a month ago, and it's fantastic. I do think it's a shame that they get reduced to the "African TV on the Radio" in most reviews and such though, since it's clear that they're working with a lot of different stuff, although there are some similarities, of course.

Speaking of "African TV on the Radio", I'm psyched for this:

aziz452.jpg

Why is Aziz Ansari listed as Raaaaaaaandy? And what is he doing with Dave Sitek? And why is there a chainsaw? What's happening in 2010?

I'M LOST

"Sleepyhead" and "The Reeling" get constant plays at Chez LMP, with the former becoming my drunken party anthem.

I generally have to hear both of these really loud immediately upon starting the car up. But then after hearing those two I start at the beginning and play the whole thing straight through again.

I have no problem with the vocals. I personally appreciate the heartfelt shouting.

I have no problem with the vocals. I personally appreciate the heartfelt shouting.

Yep. Heartfelt is a rare commodity in indie, and has been for a long time. Everything feels really homogeneous and ironic. Then, one day, these afroed motherfuckers come out of nowhere (Cambridge), squealing bloody murder, and it hits you that dance music can be really touching, even without ecstasy. So many bands are doing this sound right now, but Passion Pit's music has this human quality to it that their contemporaries are largely lacking, and that's what sets them apart IMO.

There's a passion-related pun in there somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom