Passion Pit - Manners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I generally have to hear both of these really loud immediately upon starting the car up. But then after hearing those two I start at the beginning and play the whole thing straight through again.

I have no problem with the vocals. I personally appreciate the heartfelt shouting.

Same. it has to be played loud.

Make Light is just about my favourite song of 2009. i love listening to this album.

how about the "na na na na na na hey hey hey" in Kingdom Come?

I honestly don't care much for the EP, as LeMel can attest, I was pretty disappointed in their Lolla set since it seemed like they played the entire EP and didn't play a few of my favorite tracks off Manners (I.E. "Swimming in the Flood"). Nevertheless, it's one of my top 5 albums of the year, can't get enough.

I'll never understand why people act like In Ghost Colours was that special. Sure I enjoyed it, and I love it, but that's as a lover of dance music in general. I'm just not sure what it did that makes it so beloved by people overall.

I'll never understand why people act like In Ghost Colours was that special. Sure I enjoyed it, and I love it, but that's as a lover of dance music in general. I'm just not sure what it did that makes it so beloved by people overall.

Every song on it has a hook/chorus that sounds like it has been around for decades, something you KNOW you heard before but at the same time haven't, something totally memorable. It's a perfect combination of the slick, knowing sound of 2000s electropop and excellent songwriting. I'm sure you of all people know just how rare it is for a dance group to sit down and write a clutch of fantastic songs, not just beats, and that's what makes In Ghost Colours such a gem. Throw in the rush you get from listening to it, with that vivid, energetic production and all those excellent segues, and you have an album I simply cannot say enough wonderful things about. It outclasses every album in its field and proves hookier and more joyous than most others.

So yeah, I'd say it's way better than Manners, but that doesn't make Manners not great for different reasons entirely.

Every song on it has a hook/chorus that sounds like it has been around for decades, something you KNOW you heard before but at the same time haven't, something totally memorable. It's a perfect combination of the slick, knowing sound of 2000s electropop and excellent songwriting. I'm sure you of all people know just how rare it is for a dance group to sit down and write a clutch of fantastic songs, not just beats, and that's what makes In Ghost Colours such a gem. Throw in the rush you get from listening to it, with that vivid, energetic production and all those excellent segues, and you have an album I simply cannot say enough wonderful things about. It outclasses every album in its field and proves hookier and more joyous than most others.

:up:

I find there to be something profoundly refreshing about listening to IGC. The sweetest listen.

Yep. Heartfelt is a rare commodity in indie, and has been for a long time. Everything feels really homogeneous and ironic. Then, one day, these afroed motherfuckers come out of nowhere (Cambridge), squealing bloody murder, and it hits you that dance music can be really touching, even without ecstasy. So many bands are doing this sound right now, but Passion Pit's music has this human quality to it that their contemporaries are largely lacking, and that's what sets them apart IMO.

There's a passion-related pun in there somewhere.

:up: well said

I think the vocals are pretty shrill on Make Light which is also my least favorite song on the record and I can sort of understand why it bugs some people but for me it was annoying only for a minute and then suddenly not only did it not bother me anymore but I actually began to like the vocals. Sometimes there are moments when the vocals remind me of early Shins and it's probably more of a similar passion (ha) and intelligence that comes through than actual vocal similarity.

:bump: !

just saw them live. we got there at 8, they didn't come on till about 11, which sucked.

the lead singer really worked the crowd, but they must treat his vocals heavily live as well, because in between songs he just sounds like a normal man from Boston, Massachusetts.

i think we paid $70 for the tickets, and, to be honest, that was waaaaay too much. they were really good, but the songs - flawless and good as they were - don't allow for a lot of room to move... they played maybe 15 songs, and it was over after 70 or so minutes. there's not a lot of room for exploration or making the songs more awesomer because it's so synth-driven.

that said i did enjoy the gig, and Make Light, The Reeling, To Kingdom Come and Sleepyhead were probably the highlights. just brilliant. The Reeling is as a good a dance/synth/electro/pop/etc song as any i've heard.

expect a new album next year.

and so for now my run of gigs comes to an end. it's been 3 in 6 days, and now i need some well-earned sleep.

the lead singer really worked the crowd, but they must treat his vocals heavily live as well, because in between songs he just sounds like a normal man from Boston, Massachusetts.

Boston accents are well hot, I'd go just to hear that.

Despite your warnings I think I'll check them out next time I've got the chance. Hopefully when they've got some new material under their belt to warrant the steep price.

Back
Top Bottom