Passion Pit - Gossamer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard both deadmau5 and Passion Pit rumored for this year's free summer concert series in SLC, actually. We'll see, it get's announced in a few days. Beach House seems like the only "pretty much for sure" one at this point.

Hasn't really hit the mark for me, I'm afraid. Doesn't really exhibit any of the qualities that made Passion Pit stand out above other electropop acts a few years ago - this song could probably have been done by a lot of lesser bands. Still pretty good, but kind of a let down.

All that said, I'm sure it'll grow on me.

I third that opinion. It's weird that they would make something so lifeless and obvious when I doubt it would be too hard to replicate the formula from their last album.

u2popmofo said:
I've heard both deadmau5 and Passion Pit rumored for this year's free summer concert series in SLC, actually. We'll see, it get's announced in a few days. Beach House seems like the only "pretty much for sure" one at this point.

Did you get the joke though? You said "hi cobbler" and I posted the deadmau5 song "Hi Friend" instead of simply writing "hi friend" in response. Very funny stuff.

Too much screwing around with vocal samples and other bullshit. The song itself is very solid though.

Pitchfork sometimes likes shit, Cobblepot. This is one of those times.

passion-pit-gossamer.jpg

These guys are definitely album art-challenged.

Streaming on NPR. I think it's good, but after three years it's not that much different from Manners, and it certainly doesn't haven't any tracks that can match The Reeling, Swimming in the Flood, Folds in Your Hands or Sleepyhead, in my opinion. Constant Conversations is sweet, Take a Walk is still stuck in my head, even though it's pretty crap. I'll Be Alright is good. It's Not My Fault I'm Happy too. But it all sounds pretty similar and we've already got Manners, and there are new bands doing synth-pop popping up every day.

So... I think that it's a good album, but it sort of feels a bit redundant, if that makes any sense?

Certainly won't make the mistake of seeing them live again. Michael Angelakos posted this on their website to, they cancelled a few dates. I hope he's doing alright.

On behalf of the band and myself, I would like to greatly apologize for the show cancelations. In order for me to ensure that there will be no further disruptions, I am going to take the time to work on improving my mental health. For now, I'd like to thank all of our fans for their understanding. I hope to see all of you very soon in a much different light.

I don't think the two albums sound much alike. The new one is a bit darker and funkier, with better lyrics and vocals. It's going to get some backlash (perhaps quite a bit of it) for no real reason. I'm already seeing it happen online.

That being said...nothing here stands out much at all; in contrast, I still play The Reeling and Sleepyhead fairly regularly. This is a good album that I enjoy, but I don't really know why I need it in my life when none of the tracks are that amazing.

It leaked a couple days ago, and I heard it then. I definitely want to listen a few more times before I come to a true opinion, but tentatively, I think it's amazing.

I totally relate to some of the specific mental disturbances he refers to here. I've had an anxiety disorder for many years and I've dealt with some of that shit he's referring to without anything all that stressful going on. I'm really blessed that I have a wife and family to keep me from going over the edge, plus a relatively minimal stress level. I can't imagine how shitty it must be to have to be out on the road all the time, drinking, not sleeping, etc. It's tough enough to control that shit when you're straight edge. I hope he doesn't kill himself because, yeah, when you're having panic attacks and dissociative breaks going on all the time, it makes you really depressed when you come back down.

I just read the article while listening to Gossamer for the first time. Wow, just wow - I had no idea how bad he was, and, sadly, I completely relate to a lot of what he wrote. I've even said that "don't plan on living long" line before to a couple of people, half jokingly - though I've never attempted suicide. I also don't believe in ghosts.

I really feel for the guy and it's certainly completely changed my expectations of this album. The combination of bubbly sounds twisted with lyrics that come from a very dark place is almost frightening at times. I was expecting this to be some happy summery album I could just put on carefree and chill to, seems like it's more than that. Enjoying it so far, Take A Walk has slowly grown on me.

I don't relate to any of it, but it has probably brought me a little bit more respect/appreciation for their music now. Will definitely revisit Gossamer.

I think it's so surprising because their music is so poppy, catchy, fun, upbeat... and yet it's all coming from an impossibly dark place.

BNM! Wasn't really expecting that. It continues to grow on me - I love I'll Be Alright, Constant Conversations and Mirrored Sea in particular. The last seems like a devastating, crushing underwater MBV sequel to Swimming in the Flood, like the flood's gone all tidal wavey n shit.

As they point out in the P4k review, Take A Walk is such a bizarre opener. It doesn't really set the scene well for the rest of the album, although I do enjoy the song itself.

Mirrored Sea is the best song on the album IMO, and Love Is Greed has a great chorus. The whole record is growing on me, though it's still got a ways to go before reaching Manners level.

Also, if I want suicidal-depression-meets-jubilant-pop, I'll listen to Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer.

I've been listening to this like crazy since it came out. Take A Walk, Carried Away, and Constant Conversations are all absolutely phenomenal and have grown on me the more I listen. This album in general, to me, is very strong. It's probably going to easily fit into my top 5 of 2012.

Back
Top Bottom