Passion Pit - Gossamer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Constant Conversations is probably my second favorite song on the album. This album has been bumped down a tie for my second favorite of the year at this point. But that's not to say I wouldn't still give it an A.

I decided that Gossamer is superior to Manners. I decided this some time ago but am just now saying it. It was pretty obvious when I saw them live, hearing all the songs mixed together, and also when I finally listened to both records back to back. Still love Manners, though.

Yeah. Gossamer is much, much better in my opinion. I usually skip close to half of Manners.

I am genuinely surprised by the love for Gossamer. I've tried it a few times and I don't think it comes anywhere near Manners. TEAM FUCK GOSSAMER.

Constant Conversations is fucking great though.

I don't really remember much from Gossamer after hearing it. Maybe 3-4 songs I can recall the chorus or whatever. Overall, it's a very well constructed album and the lyrics are great, but I think you guys that are like CATCHIEST SONGS EVAR SO ADDICTING IT'S LIKE BEATLES LACED WITH SUGAR NICOTINE CRACK are willing that into being.

Manners has like half a dozen songs I've had on constant loop for 3 years.

TEAM MANNERS

I don't really remember much from Gossamer after hearing it. Maybe 3-4 songs I can recall the chorus or whatever. Overall, it's a very well constructed album and the lyrics are great, but I think you guys that are like CATCHIEST SONGS EVAR SO ADDICTING IT'S LIKE BEATLES LACED WITH SUGAR NICOTINE CRACK are willing that into being.

Manners has like half a dozen songs I've had on constant loop for 3 years.

TEAM MANNERS

:up:

This thread did inspire me to listen to it again and I like or love Constant Conversations, I'll Be Alright, Take a Walk, Cry Like a Ghost and It's Not My Fault I'm Happy, but that's about it.

I really love both albums and don't see any point in arguing about it.

Same here. Both are really good in my opinion. TEAM ON THE FENCE.

These guys will be playing Madison Square Garden next year. It's crazy to think that they were opening for Phoenix just 3 years ago.

Maybe hear it again before passing judgement?

Actually, it's one of my most listened to records of the year and I've heard the tracks individually many times out of context because of Ashley trying to decide on a favorite.

To be honest, I'm not sure I would like the album as much as I do if I hadn't read that Pitchfork article, which helped me to hone in on the lyrics. I would have eventually caught on to how much of a bummer it was, but not right off the bat. You don't look for confessional shit in albums that sound like this one, and the fact that it has that deeper level impresses me greatly.

I did not expect to love it as much as I do but after hearing the new stuff live I was convinced I not only liked Gossamer more but I genuinely thought the songs were better. With the exception of The Reeling and Sleepyhead, the songs from Manners just fell kind of flat. The audience knew both records really well from what I could tell and there was just no comparison to the energy that the new songs had.

Not that a Passion Pit show is the best measure for anything (I can't imagine them pulling off a MSG show but good for them)...

But Sad Punk and gump are right - it doesn't need to be a contest. I appreciate both records and I hope what's-his-name can stay strong and healthy and keep making more great music.

Actually, it's one of my most listened to records of the year and I've heard the tracks individually many times out of context because of Ashley trying to decide on a favorite.

To be honest, I'm not sure I would like the album as much as I do if I hadn't read that Pitchfork article, which helped me to hone in on the lyrics. I would have eventually caught on to how much of a bummer it was, but not right off the bat. You don't look for confessional shit in albums that sound like this one, and the fact that it has that deeper level impresses me greatly.

The way you phrased your statement that I quoted doesn't really jibe with "one of my most listened to records of the year".

lazarus said:
The way you phrased your statement that I quoted doesn't really jibe with "one of my most listened to records of the year".

Yeah, it does make it sound like I had only heard the record once.

It's a general statment.

Gossamer > Manners. I only remember like maybe three songs from Manners. Little Secrets, Moth's Wings and Sleepyhead, I guess? I know almost all of Gossamer. The first six songs are all great.

Take a Walk, Constant Conversations, Carried Away, Mirrored Sea, Cry Like a Ghost ... they're all favorites right now.

They're pretty different records in my mind, don't see the point in comparing them so strongly, especially when it makes it sound like Manners is a bad record or something.

I find it impossible to say which I prefer at this moment, I've spent way too much time with Manners to just go all "Team Gossamer" this soon into the game.

Passion Pit's a great band, end of story.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who's conflicted on these guys. Listened to Gossamer again last night, and I just feel flat about it. It has a fraction of the musical hooks of Manners. But I'll give it another shot before the weekend.

I saw this thread bumped and got a little excited but then tempered that excitement because it's one of those stupid fucking threads with the album in the title but it is what I was hoping :hyper::drool::love::yes::cool::dancing::combust::dance::yippie::loveshower:

I think we should. It's of no consequence really but I just haaaaate posting in these threads. Almost as much as I hate seeing or handling coins.

At any rate I hope it's great and I'm sure there will be some good tunes on it. I still vastly prefer Manners, just for its unabashed colour and stomping tunes, and I felt Gossamer dialed down on that. But it still had absolute gems like Casual Conversations so it was well worth it.

Also I hope it's great because I still remember LM saying that no one would remember Passion Pit in five years when Manners came out.

I also hope they've managed to make a good live show, cos they sucked when I saw them.

There's no way that LM said that. He loved that album....It's not that I don't believe you, I just find the thought of him saying that baffling.

Must've been somewhere other than the Manners thread itself, then, cause he's all over it in there.

Back
Top Bottom