Passion Pit - Gossamer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BUMPED, MOTHERFUCKERS.

How has Carried Away not become everyone's favorite good-time jam?

This album is infectious. Love it. So many of these tracks could be singles. A

There are a lot of great great tunes on this one, but I still can't get over Cry Like A Ghost.

I don't know what album you guys have been listening to, but Mirrored Sea is definitely the best track.

After spinning this like two dozen times at work and having it constantly on in my wife's car since we carpool, I've gotta agree with laz. But holy shit, the whole thing is so solid.

Man, now I'm depressed after reading that Pitchfork article.

Dude is seriously messed up. But bravo to him for using the joy of pop as a catharsis, or at least an expression of his troubles.

I haven't read any of it. I'm too afraid that it will make it all just too depressing. That doesn't mean I don't feel for him, I just get too sad even thinking about reading it.

I gotta say, that was my favorite part of the ten minutes I was able to see of them at Lolla. He was smiling and really seemed to be having a good time.

lazarus said:
Man, now I'm depressed after reading that Pitchfork article.

Dude is seriously messed up. But bravo to him for using the joy of pop as a catharsis, or at least an expression of his troubles.

:up: to this, but was anyone else a little put off by the whole "I've got Michael's number and we text each other all the time" thing from the writer? I suppose it's genuine but he really didn't need to inject himself into it.

This is like the new journalism. The Cat Power interview was even worse.

And then you have that notorious Fiona Apple interview which just set the bar so high for journalistic narcissism.

I would be so embarrassed if people knew how often I talked to the people I cover. I don't want the readers to know my connection to the subjects of the stories.

This is like the new journalism. The Cat Power interview was even worse.

Clearly you don't like two women getting naked massages together?

But yeah, the Pitchfork interview was really dark and somehow affected me on a very personal level, knowing people that went through some deep depressions (not as bad as him, though). I admire the guy for being so open about it, as people are generally utterly uneducated about mental health issues. I love the new album, but because of the interview it never strikes me as something joyful as Manners.

That Pitchfork piece positively influenced the way I listen to and appreciate the music. Could you ask more from a music article? Furthermore, the author did an excellent job of only passively including himself in the piece.

The Fiona Apple piece was occasionally illuminating, but the author failed at separating himself from the subject. There was no objectivity, and it was distracting.

I think it positively influenced a lot of people, me included. I could just have done without the texting bit. "I didn't hear back from him..." would have sufficed.

lazarus said:
And then you have that notorious Fiona Apple interview which just set the bar so high for journalistic narcissism.

Oh man I couldn't even get through that piece. It felt really creepy.

Any time an interviewer gets all BFF-y in an article, I'm immediately turned off. Having said that, the Pitchfork article revealed so much, not just on Angelakos but also on myself reflecting back on what I was reading. I've never done anything as bold as what I read, but I've certainly been down those same dark paths, if perhaps not quite as dark. It truly influenced my perception of the album tremendously, not least of all because I read it as I listened to it the first time. I don't think it's essential reading - if you already enjoy the album, you don't need it. But for most anyone else, it's an uncommon public reveal on bipolar disorder and other forms of depression that will no doubt hit hard on just about anyone who reads it. Texting bit or not, it's the first piece of music journalism to majorly affect me in a long time.

No worries. That post does read even clumsier than mine normally dp, but I hope you get the gist.

I'm glad to see the album still growing on people. It's certainly good at that. I only just recently discovered that I liked On My Way, despite my natural aversion to any song that begins with "ballerina" as a lyric.

That Pitchfork piece positively influenced the way I listen to and appreciate the music. Could you ask more from a music article? Furthermore, the author did an excellent job of only passively including himself in the piece.

The Fiona Apple piece was occasionally illuminating, but the author failed at separating himself from the subject. There was no objectivity, and it was distracting.

I didn't mean to imply that I thought the interviewer went too far; I was merely responding to Cobbler's complaint. It's nowhere near up its own asshole like the Fiona Apple interview.

I personally got a lot out of the Passion Pit one as well.

I'm finally catching up with this. It's surprising how long it's taken me given how much I loved the first record and never really got tired of it even after everyone started making fun of it and being irritated by it which I never quite understood.

Read the Pitchfork piece last night. Man, that is so sad. I know several people with similar issues. There's so much you can do for bipolar disorder, too, with nutrition and supplements and brain food, but it's still tough.

So today my mission is to find an actual copy of the CD in an actual store because I don't want to wait for an online order. I am prepared to love it.

I'm also glad I saw them a couple of times open for Muse. They weren't great but I really had no complaints. I was just happy to hear those songs which, dark overtones or not, make me happy.

Mission accomplished. Liked what I heard in the car but I'll give it the headphones listen tonight.

Unlike my other favorite albums this year (F-App, Dirty Projectors), I have the urge to listen to this at least once daily.

This is going to be a serious #1 contender for me.

I might have to see what the fuck you all are talking about. If I don't like the album, one of you will pay.....and, let's just say that the cost will be prohibitive.

I have the urge to listen to this at least once daily.

This makes me even more excited to hear it as this is pretty much how I felt about Manners.

NSW, I have no idea if you'd like it (or them) or not.

Wow. Okay, I'm finishing up watering the yard and then I'm going to put on the headphones.

lazarus said:
I listened to Manners again the other day, and no contest for me. This blows it out of the water. Just too many amazing hooks.

Hooks? I dunno, it took a few listens for much of anything to stand out to me. Manners has far more highlights/obvious singles, though the lyrics and production have improved significantly.

Is there any song on this I will be returning to as often as The Reeling or Sleepyhead? I suppose that remains to be seen, but so far I haven't felt the need. It works better heard in sequence anyway.

It's really good. I'm returning to Cry Like a Ghost right away and then starting round 2. But yeah, on first listen not as many hooks as Manners, which was an instant addiction. But I'm definitely loving this.

Back
Top Bottom