Passion Pit - Gossamer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's up there with "Theory of Relativity" (Stars) and "Through the Grass" (Wild Nothing) as my favorite song this year. I can't decide yet.

Hooks? I dunno, it took a few listens for much of anything to stand out to me. Manners has far more highlights/obvious singles, though the lyrics and production have improved significantly.

Is there any song on this I will be returning to as often as The Reeling or Sleepyhead? I suppose that remains to be seen, but so far I haven't felt the need. It works better heard in sequence anyway.

I can't believe we're listening to the same album.

So many of these songs are catchy and could easily be singles. Like, the first three, Hideaway, Love Is Greed, It's Not My Fault, and you could also make a case for the "Sylvia" chorus in Cry Like A Ghost. I think Constant Conversation could easily be on the radio as well.

You're deranged.

I personally required a few listens before any of these songs stuck with me, except "Take a Walk" and "Cry Like A Ghost".

It's got a lot more soul than Manners. I didn't have a problem with the vocals on Manners but for people who did, they'll like this better.

I should stop talking about it until a few more listens.

Manners had a lot of the problems most debuts have; it didn't cohere properly, it tried too hard to be bold and hooky, and Michael's voice had not fully matured yet.

That being said, no less than 5 of the songs I still return to, out of album context.

I agree with all of that.

Gossamer definitely sounds more mature and accomplished.

The verdict is in:

I love it.

What a painful, beautiful record. And you can dance to it.

I really didn't know what to make of them (him) after Manners - was Passion Pit a one-hit wonder? I think now we know. The guy's kind of special

For the record, I find Gossamer to be light years ahead of Manners as an album. I generally skip half of Manners every time. Also I feel like, say, 7 of the songs on Gossamer could be easy singles. And I find the best hooks on Gossamer to be superior to the best hooks on Manners. I've probably already listened to Gossamer over 20 times. Maybe close to 30. It's been something I listen to every day at work at least once, since it came out.

2vb3ec7.gif

Laz getting beat up in school every day of the 1980s turned him into the megalomaniac he is today, so the decade wasn't completely worthless.

Anyhoo, I'm afraid this is not doing nearly as much for me as it is most of you. I really like Take a Walk, I'll Be Alright, Constant Conversations, Cry Like a Ghost and It's Not My Fault I'm Happy but the rest runs together. Nothing jumps out at me like Make Light, Little Secrets, The Reeling, Swimming in the Flood, Folds In Your Hands or Sleepyhead, all of which are better than anything here. In fact I'd take nearly every track on Manners over anything on Gossamer.

Needless to say, I much prefer Manners. Perhaps Gossamer will reveal itself more to me with more listens. Who knows.

That's really saying something; I can't detect a great difference in basic sound between their older and newer music that I've heard, and heard... and heard. I get that there is sadness in some of the lyrics, but it comes on like a theme song for some kids' show.

That's the one that REALLY reminds me of Of Montreal. A Sentence of Sorts in Kongsvinger is the one I'm thinking of, specifically.

I just learned they're playing here next week. I vaguely remembered hearing about it months ago but I had so much going on I figured I missed it. I have a work thing that night but I'll cut out early and walk over and stand in the back. I'd like to hear the new songs and to see if they're better live than two years ago.

I need some first-hand experience and opinions: how much should I want to see these guys live next weekend?

They are playing reasonably close Friday and Saturday nights, but I've got scheduling conflicts both nights with some events that I also hate to miss (The Sea & Cake in Nashville, and a friend's Halloween party). Plus, I didn't finish the new album on my first listen. I thought it was pretty bad but need to give it another try. But I love Manners. Argh!

Any input would be appreciated.

I don't know The Sea & Cake, or how good your friend's party will be, but personally I thought they were crap live when I saw them in 2010. Bad venue, but the songs had no room to move live due to his vocals and electronic nature of the songs themselves. I definitely agree Manners is better; I doubt I'll be going to see them again if they tour here as I'm not big on Gossamer.

Just my opinion!

Back
Top Bottom