Paging Van Halen Fans?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asr

Acrobat
I remember there being a VH appreciation thread around these parts during the DLR fronted 2007-08 reunion tour. Now, even more so, there is reason to be excited because, not only are they touring, but they're also touring on the tail of the new album 'A Different Kind Of Truth.'

It's their first since 1984 with Diamond Dave on vocals and their first ever since1998.

They just played a very tiny but historic gig at Cafe Wha?[in the Village, NYC] to rave reviews by press and public alike.

So why are there crickets churping?!

It's their first since 1984 with Diamond Dave on vocals and their first ever since1998.

So why are there crickets churping?!

Wow, has it really been that long?

It's hard for many of us to get excited about something that has a 99% chance of becoming a train wreck, or even failing before it has a chance to be a train wreck.

Well, I would say that the new song sounds slightly better than the two songs Dave and VH did together for their 1996 Best Of.

I probably would have tried to go and see them on the reunion tour ion 2007 if Michael Anthony were on bass instead of Eddie's son. This tour shouldn't be as good since they're over four years older and the setlist will have some classics removed in favor of tune's from this new record. But even now, a tour with the original foursome would be great as they can still all play/sing surprisingly well.

For me, Van Halen will always be one of the greatest hard rock acts ever. Their weird mix of like Deep Purple, Sex Pistols and a bit of glam probably came as a shock to anyone when hearing their first album. And while others throughout the 70's and 80's were giving us bloated obviousness, Van Halen had Roth's innovative vocal phrasing, Eddie's out of this world guitar shredding and a streamlined set of six albums that never came close to topping 40 minutes in length. :up:

Well, I would say that the new song sounds slightly better than the two songs Dave and VH did together for their 1996 Best Of.

Nah, those two had some killer hooks and did the job. They weren't amazing, but certainly quite fun. "Tattoo" has nothing really interesting about it. It seems like what would happen if they were all sleeping and suddenly were woken up and forced to write and record a song in an hour without any coffee.

The only other recent Van Halen we have to compare it to are the awful Hagar-reunion tracks from 2004. This is certainly miles better than those which were obviously tossed off for the tour/new compilation.

It's just so strange that they would make something that's long, tuneless and obvious when the rest of the stuff they did with Dave was anything but....I mean, you figure the reexamining of their early stuff that they've been doing for the last five years or so would have given us something in that vain.

It's just so strange that they would make something that's long, tuneless and obvious when the rest of the stuff they did with Dave was anything but....I mean, you figure the reexamining of their early stuff that they've been doing for the last five years or so would have given us something in that vain.

You don't think Van Halen was "obvious"? I always thought that was their thing...

The only other recent Van Halen we have to compare it to are the awful Hagar-reunion tracks from 2004. This is certainly miles better than those which were obviously tossed off for the tour/new compilation.

The blame for those awful tracks from the Best of Both Worlds compilation goes pretty much to Eddie. Sammy and Michael both said that those tracks took longer than usual because Eddie was all fucked up. When you're Van Halen, it's all about the guitar. When the guitar man can barely play, it ain't gonna be pretty.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if that song is the one off the new album that they wanted the world to hear first, then god have mercy on the souls of whoever listens to the rest of the album.

Get On Your Boots?

I've seen the video a few times now. The song is growing on me. The video though is horseshit. Obviously, B&W was a good choice there. No need to see Eddie and Dave in color. Can't believe Wolfie is almost 21. Too bad Michael Anthony wasn't a cousin of the Van Halens. And good old Alex is barely in the video. Will we ever see him without sunglasses?

Like the music to Tattoo, the vocals not so much.

I'll be seeing VH, probably twice, at Mohegan Sun with the wife and in Boston for guys night out.

Roth is a clown, I hope some of the lyrics on the rest of the album are better than Tattoo, but I've been a VH fan for a long time and it has little to do with who the vocalist du jour is, its all about EVH in my eyes...so long as he's sober he's great. In fact I even saw them live with Gary Cherone, and frankly he's a better singer than either Roth or Hagar, but VH fans wouldn't stand for it.

Like the music to Tattoo, the vocals not so much.

Roth is a clown, I hope some of the lyrics on the rest of the album are better than Tattoo, but I've been a VH fan for a long time and it has little to do with who the vocalist du jour is, its all about EVH in my eyes...so long as he's sober he's great. In fact I even saw them live with Gary Cherone, and frankly he's a better singer than either Roth or Hagar, but VH fans wouldn't stand for it.

I feel the same way. When Eddie is right, the band is right. It's great hearing that signature guitar again, but the lyrics are just plain dopey. I've been a VH fan since the early 80's when I was about 10 or so. Roth's original run was great. I thought Sammy picked up the ball and ran with it quite well. I think VH started to lose it's luster when Balance came along in 1995. It was somewhat successful and they had a few singles, but it looked like they were just going through the motions. Those tracks that Dave did on Best Of 96 were decent, but nothing memorable. Poor Gary got stuck with Eddie when he was in a bad place.
I'm not gonna see them yet on this tour. (low on funds) I'm hoping they'll come around again this Summer.

90 second samples of a few more tracks are now out there. They tell you more than enough about both songs and what the album is shaping up to be. Basically, Roth is churning out uninvolved lyrics, the songs have no hooks and most of the guitar playing/sound we've heard from Eddie is just stuff he could have done in his sleep circa 1993. :down:

It honestly might even be worse than the III album. At least that had some catchy moments.

Back
Top Bottom