Paging Van Halen Fans?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
90 second samples of a few more tracks are now out there. They tell you more than enough about both songs and what the album is shaping up to be. Basically, Roth is churning out uninvolved lyrics, the songs have no hooks and most of the guitar playing/sound we've heard from Eddie is just stuff he could have done in his sleep circa 1993. :down:

It honestly might even be worse than the III album. At least that had some catchy moments.

Oh no! :sad:

I guess we'll really find out on 2/7 when the album is fully released.

Yeah, what is so douche baggy about DLR? He's an interesting guy who enjoys the spotlight...but that's about it.

Speaking as a guy who's always been a fan of Eddie Van Halen the musician, I'd say EVH is a far bigger douche as a person than DLR could ever be. Roth is a clown to be sure, but douchebag is not a term I'd associate with him.

(And I did meet EVH once MrPryck, and he was quite pleasant, but I'm speaking in terms of what I've read and heard over the years)

Speaking as a guy who's always been a fan of Eddie Van Halen the musician, I'd say EVH is a far bigger douche as a person than DLR could ever be. Roth is a clown to be sure, but douchebag is not a term I'd associate with him.

(And I did meet EVH once MrPryck, and he was quite pleasant, but I'm speaking in terms of what I've read and heard over the years)

-Wow, that's great that you met Eddie. Where did you meet him?

-And yes, I would agree about DLR being a clown and I wouldn't classify him as a douche either. The man was an EMT once. How much of a douche could he be if he actually wanted to save people's lives?

What's the consensus on their live shows (at least from 2007 on)? I was going to buy tickets a couple weeks ago when the sale went live for Chicago. Then I saw the prices, which are just too damned high for a band that's been a mess for the better part of two decades. Plus TM must have had some major screwup, since tickets didn't appear at all for the Chicago or Rosemont shows for a good 15-20 minutes after the sale was supposed to have started.

There are still tickets available, and I'm still contemplating trying to see them. But there doesn't really seem to be such a thing as cheap seats, and the lowest costing tickets appear to be absolute shit. If I'm sure it'd be worth it, I might splurge for something decent. But I'm not going to shell it out for an average rock concert if that's what it is.

MrPryck2U said:
The man was an EMT once. How much of a douche could he be if he actually wanted to save people's lives?

I've got to keep this in mind the next time IWasBored says something that pisses me off.

I knew some people my age that went back in 2007 and said it was great, actually. They're almost five years older this time though and the set will be filled in with awful songs from the new album at the expense of classic old ones....so it certainly won't be as good.

I knew some people my age that went back in 2007 and said it was great, actually. They're almost five years older this time though and the set will be filled in with awful songs from the new album at the expense of classic old ones....so it certainly won't be as good.

And I'm not a big fan of the fact that the setlists basically blow off the Hagar era altogether.

And I'm not a big fan of the fact that the setlists basically blow off the Hagar era altogether.

Well, seeing as how Eddie doesn't really care for Sammy now, I couldn't see them doing Sammy songs. Especially since Dave probably can't even sing them. Imagine Dave trying to sing Dreams. There's no way. Especially without Michael Anthony around to help with the high parts.

-Wow, that's great that you met Eddie. Where did you meet him?

-And yes, I would agree about DLR being a clown and I wouldn't classify him as a douche either. The man was an EMT once. How much of a douche could he be if he actually wanted to save people's lives?

During the VHIII tour when they were in Boston Eddie and Gary did a little free acoustic set at the Hard Rock Cafe the afternoon before their show, met them afterwards outside along with a few other fans. They signed autographs and chatted for a couple of minutes...Eddie is tiny, only rocker I've ever met who is smaller is Iggy Pop.

What's the consensus on their live shows (at least from 2007 on)? I was going to buy tickets a couple weeks ago when the sale went live for Chicago. Then I saw the prices, which are just too damned high for a band that's been a mess for the better part of two decades. Plus TM must have had some major screwup, since tickets didn't appear at all for the Chicago or Rosemont shows for a good 15-20 minutes after the sale was supposed to have started.

There are still tickets available, and I'm still contemplating trying to see them. But there doesn't really seem to be such a thing as cheap seats, and the lowest costing tickets appear to be absolute shit. If I'm sure it'd be worth it, I might splurge for something decent. But I'm not going to shell it out for an average rock concert if that's what it is.

Saw 2 shows in 2007, very good (though identical, right down to DLR's stage banter between songs)...as long as EVH is sober, they are still a great live band regardless of who's singing (and who's playing bass).
The 2007 tour featured nothing but VH classics (well and Jump too unfortunately), so no filler...a very solid show.

It was bad enough that they had Hagar attempting a few Roth songs (although I bet he didn't even enjoy playing those ones).......the Cherone shows were probably the weirdest because he sang the tunes from his shitty album and Roth/Hagar songs. Talk about confusing. If anything though, he probably could have sung tracks solely from the Hagar/Cherone-era and people's ears wouldn't be able to tell that Sammy had left the band. It's funny because Dave is clearly the least talented singer of the three, but his vocal phrasings are so damn unique that nobody can really sing those songs in a suitable manner.

Cherone did a pretty good job singing from all 3 phases of the VH legacy, and also during the VHIII tour they played "Somebody Get Me a Doctor" and had Michael Anthony singing lead, which was pretty good.

I saw all 3 singers grace the same stage one night, 2002 (I think) when they did the Hagar/Roth tour when nobody was getting along with the Van Halen brothers, and at the Mansfield MA show Gary came out and sang a couple of numbers with Sammy and the Wabo-ritas (and Michael Anthony, so the show featured every member of Van Halen not named Van Halen), and clearly Gary was the best singer of the 3 by far.

I think you're the only person who would have any expectation of there being and Hagar era material played. It isn't gonna happen.

I actually wasn't too surprised when I saw that they were skipping the Hagar songs, given how sour that relationship got and the focus was on Dave's return. Still, I can't imagine that every VH fan is thrilled that they're blotting out 10 successful years of the band's run. And I think MrPryck2U is right - Dave might struggle with some of the Sammy songs.

Saw 2 shows in 2007, very good (though identical, right down to DLR's stage banter between songs)...as long as EVH is sober, they are still a great live band regardless of who's singing (and who's playing bass).
The 2007 tour featured nothing but VH classics (well and Jump too unfortunately), so no filler...a very solid show.

Yeah, that kind of sounds like how AC/DC was a couple years back. Basically the same show night after night, but it rocked. And it was definitely worth the money. Hopefully I can find some decent seats.

as a paramedic, i can tell you that we're some of the douchey-est people on the planet. i like fewer van halen songs than headache, so i probably don't belong in this thread. but couldn't leave without making that first thing known.

I've got to keep this in mind the next time IWasBored says something that pisses me off.

:lol: see? :lol:

as a paramedic, i can tell you that we're some of the douchey-est people on the planet. i like fewer van halen songs than headache, so i probably don't belong in this thread. but couldn't leave without making that first thing known.

Well, you can't be all that bad. You still give enough of a fuck to wanna save lives. :wink:

Well, you can't be all that bad. You still give enough of a fuck to wanna save lives. :wink:

if by "save lives" you mean "be able to pay my bills while working in an environment where i can get away with being almost as politically incorrect as possible, work nights, without having to worry about my supervisor ever coming around to tell me i'm slacking off, and not have to bring it home with me" then yes. but if you mean it as in "prolong the existence of human life long past expiration date through various means of modern medicine,"...

in all honesty, the best emts and medics i know are the ones who really don't give a rat's ass about that whole hero life-saving crap, but just want to be good at their jobs. i could shit-talk the profession all day, trying to convince you that in the urban setting ambulances are nothing other than wellfare taxi rides to the ER because "i ran out of percocet and i want them to give me more" or "my kid has a fever and i'm too stupid to give him tylenol myself." but the short of it is that people die no matter what, and it's a lot nicer going home knowing that you didn't kill anyone because you were too amped up in being a hero to think analytically rather than getting a save on a cardiac arrest after 45 minutes of downtime--congratulations, you just made a vegetable.

Well, I suppose it's still a thankless job. Just like being the lead singer of Van Halen is a thankless job. :wink: Maybe you should play Van Halen I while you're working.

yeah, i don't think so. listening to VH at work (or any time) kind of makes me want to find the nearest bridge and....:wink:

The new album has finally leaked. It lacks even one good song. Best bit is the riff in "She's The Woman" since it was written before their first album.

Heard the new album for the first time today. I like it. It kicks ass. Don't have a favorite song yet. Still needs a few more listens.

Back
Top Bottom