Okkervil River thread 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Waiting for my vinyl to come in the next couple of days. I also might get tickets to see them again next month, this time for a full set.

I listened to the NPR stream once. It sounded promising but I started losing interest towards the end. I need a lyrics sheet for this album.

Do their albums usually come with the lyrics? If so, I might buy it on cd instead of streaming as I usually do nowadays.

I'll have the CD after work to be able to tell you. I'm surprised you losed interest towards the end, i think the album pickups up with the last few tracks. Listening to the instant download from the Amazon CD preorder now, sounds soooo much better than the stream.

I think it was due to my own lack of attention. I was busy with some other stuff and not focussing on the lyrics. When I make time for the album, I probably won't have that happen.

I think it was due to my own lack of attention. I was busy with some other stuff and not focussing on the lyrics. When I make time for the album, I probably won't have that happen.

It's definitely a very different type of album than what they've released in the past. Lower-fi, quieter, longer songs, almost solo albumy in some ways. I could see some people who didn't like the band in the past loving this, and people who loved the band in the past not liking this. Bi'll be interesting to see what happens. I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

New one's release and hearing about it has taken me by surprise. Can't wait to give it a listen as the track record for this band has been so damn strong since Black Sheep Boy.

I like Away a lot. Maybe a little bit too long/samey but I love the atmosphere on this one and find much of the songwriting very beautiful. Definitely more up my alley than Silver Gymnasium.

Do their albums usually come with the lyrics? If so, I might buy it on cd instead of streaming as I usually do nowadays.

Sorry, I forgot to respond. The CD does come with the lyrics. It's more of a fold out "poster" with the lyrics on one side than a booklet, but they're there.

Last edited:
Nice. I'll be picking it up one of these days then.

I'm absolutely loving Frontman In Heaven at the moment. I can see where you were coming from. The record is very consistent through-out.

The Industry is the only traditional OR song but it can hold its own against most great songs of this band.

The whole pre-album release show in Brooklyn has been released officially:

My stupid face is there too.

I don't like it much. I was really excited after Okkervil River RIP, but turns out that's by far the best track. Judey on a Street and Mary on a Wave provide brief moments of greatness but it's a huge slog. Nearly every song is too long, meandering and it's very same-y.

Everything I loved about Silver Gymnasium, by a long way my favourite Okk album, is absent here. Yawn.

I like it quite a bit, but it is indeed a completely different sound than Silver Gymnasium. But I'm quite fond of the atmospherics, and have come to really love Okkervil River RIP.

Seeing them again tonight, although I'm a bit disappointed that the sets have been quite short this tour.

I'm glad it sounds nothing like Silver Gymnasium. Nice album, but a little cloying and ill-suited to the best aspects of Sheff's songwriting. We're in more Black Sheep Boy territory here, albeit more sprawling and heavy this time around.

Last edited:
Black Sheep Boy
The Stage Names
Silver Gymnasium
Away
Don't Fall In Love
The Stand Ins
Down the River...
I Am Very Far

First three are pretty well set. Rest is about at the same level for me.

The concert last night was great, the new songs are sounding really good now.

But still not sold on the "reinventions" of Unless It's Kicks and For Real. It's not the same without the guitar riffs.

Black Sheep Boy (one of my favorite albums of all-time)

The Stage Names
The Stand Ins
Away
The Silver Gymnasium (I really can't fathom how one could think this the best OR record but to each their own of course)
I Am Very Far

As for the new live versions, I watched a performance of For Real a while ago. It sounded good and I liked the added guitar solo, but it does miss the raw passion of the original. I'm kinda bummed that that's going to be the first live version of the song I'm going to see.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

I don't know. I can't find a flaw in the opening stretch of The Stage Names, all the way to A Girl in Port. The best pure sequence of songs they've put out, in my opinion. Unless It's Kicks, Plus Ones, Our Life is Not a Movie, A Girl In Port... all top songs for me.

It would take less time to list the not-good songs on Stage Names than to go through all of the highlights. Awesome album.

DVskh25U8AA1RJJ.jpg:large

Last edited:
I'm surprised this news isn't anywhere yet?!?!

I like this song a lot on first listen, I'm always up for a new Okk record even though they're so hit and miss with me (Silver Gymnasium YES! Very Far / Away, no).

I like it. I haven't even listened to Away yet. It only came out like a year ago right?

Back
Top Bottom