Okkervil River thread 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep. Looks like Sept 2016. Still a pretty quick album cycle. This is one band I am into entirely because of mofo promoting them here.

Tickets for the album release show have been acquired. Very happy with this surprise development.

I didn't like the new album much initially, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit now.

It took me some time to get used to this poppier version of the band, but I like it a good deal. Don’t move back to LA was not that representative of the whole album. Love Somebody and Family Songs are great additions to their catalogue, and you will have Famous Tracheotomies that veers into the usual epic storytelling with emotional resonance.

I saw them play the whole album last week and the band is very clearly enjoying themselves. Will seems the happiest I’ve seen them, which I guess explains some of their sound.

We also got this beauty of an encore:

IMG_0942.JPG

And a close up of THE SHEFF!

IMG_0938.JPG

I'm jealous, gump. Very cool. I'm seeing them in Utah next month.

I’m sure you’ll have a blast. They sound so good live with the new album.

Gave it a spin today and really liked what I heard. I suppose that's not much of a surprise as all my favourite OKK! is a mix of their poppier / more accessible folk stuff - Silver Gymnasium, Life is a Not Movie, A Girl in Port, Okkervil River RIP. Love the Springsteen nods and love the Young American horns.

The only thing that slightly put me off is it got a wee bit War on Drugs in spots. I don't need another War on Drugs. One song is enough. But I'll be buying it for sure.

I'll definitely give it another chance but I'm disappointed currently. Famous Tracheotomies is a lovely opener, reminiscent of Away which I loved, but the rest doesn't live up to that.

The singles are also pretty good though, even though Pulled Up The Ribbon sounds like a The War on Drugs cover indeed.

What are everyone's favorite songs from the new album?

Mine are:

Love Somebody
Don't Move Back To LA
Pulled Up the Ribbon
The Dream and the Light

Famous Tracheotomies and Shelter Song are incredible lyrically, but not exactly the type of tracks I want to listen to all the time.

Just got home from seeing them. It was one of the better, if not best, sounding shows of theirs I’ve seen. The new band is great live. Will played The War Criminal Roses and Speaks solo, it was awesome. Never thought I’d hear it live. The new songs all sounded great, and the new versions of old songs sounded great. Extremely enjoyable and entertaining show.

I double anyone cares, but here's the setlist from the show I saw Thursday. I'm still on a major Okk Riv high. The versions of Black, For Real, and Lost Coastlines they're doing this tour are crazy awesome.

Pulled Up the Ribbon
It Ends With a Fall
Love Somebody
Down Down the Deep River
Famous Tracheotomies
On a Balcony
Don't Move Back to LA
The War Criminal Rises and Speaks (Sheff solo, so awesome)
How It Is
The Dream and the Light
Black
For Real

Encore:
John Allyn Smith Sails
Magnificent Sanctuary Band (Donny Hathaway cover, first time performed)
Lost Coastlines
Unless It's Kicks

That strikes me as a pretty short set. Haven't spent enough time with the album yet but I'd like to see some more Silver Gymnasium and Stage Names!!!

I double anyone cares, but here's the setlist from the show I saw Thursday. I'm still on a major Okk Riv high. The versions of Black, For Real, and Lost Coastlines they're doing this tour are crazy awesome.

Pulled Up the Ribbon
It Ends With a Fall
Love Somebody
Down Down the Deep River
Famous Tracheotomies
On a Balcony
Don't Move Back to LA
The War Criminal Rises and Speaks (Sheff solo, so awesome)
How It Is
The Dream and the Light
Black
For Real

Encore:
John Allyn Smith Sails
Magnificent Sanctuary Band (Donny Hathaway cover, first time performed)
Lost Coastlines
Unless It's Kicks

I care! Man that's an awesome set. I'm not sure I loooved this version of For Real, but I am happy they are changing it up.

I am not sure which is my favorite OKK live song. But my two favorite sing along lines are "And no attempt is made to explain away / The things that really, really, really, really, really are behind / You can't hide" and "But don't lose me now, don't lose me now. Though I know that I'm not useful anyhow / Just let me stick around while I tell you, like before / You should say his name the way that he said yours / But you don't want to say his name anymore. "

I wish they were still playing Okkervil River RIP. And that the sets were slightly longer - their back catalog is just too good.

I'm not a fan of the new album but I'm now considering buying a ticket to their gig here anyway.

This has probably been done before but here's my current Okk rushmore:
1. A Stone
2. On Tour With Zykos
3. Another Radio Song
4. Plus Ones

That was really difficult.

I'm not a fan of the new album but I'm now considering buying a ticket to their gig here anyway.

This has probably been done before but here's my current Okk rushmore:
1. A Stone
2. On Tour With Zykos
3. Another Radio Song
4. Plus Ones

That was really difficult.

Buy a ticket, they're fantastic this tour. You wont regret it. In fact, you'll likely end up a fan of the new album afterwards!

Good fav. song choices.

It’s a very enjoyable album. It sounds like Kaputt quite a bit, so no surprise I like it. Not sure it’s quite got the variety or the truly great songs to be a real great album, and the last two songs aren’t great. But it’s really good.

Famous Tracheotomies, Family Song, Dont Move Back to LA, Shelter Song are my favourites.

A new 2 track single is out:

New Blood
Skiptracer

[TWEET]1037791971929194496[/TWEET]

Cool! I'm seeing them again on Thursday, hope they play these new songs.

How was it?

It was great. The band is a bit smaller than last time I saw them - five musicians: Will/keyboard/guitar/bass/drums. The setlist was somewhat standard but they sound great as always. So nice that they continue to play Lost Coastlines. John Allyn Smith Sails is another nice addition. They played both of the new songs and they sounded really good live. Love this band.

https://www.adreaminthedark.com/

Hey there friends! This is Will, writing you with some exciting news:

We are so incredibly thrilled to announce our brand new subscription series A Dream in the Dark: Two Decades of Okkervil River Live. The series consists of 12 digital live albums spanning our whole 21-year career, from the earliest beginnings of Okkervil River right up to the present day. Every Okkervil period is covered, the vast majority of the songs will make an appearance (along with a bunch of covers and alternate versions), and each monthly installment of the series is going to come with comprehensive liner notes written by me and some other people too – there’ll be new essays, reminiscences, old journal entries, interviews, and a ton of archival photographs. We also have some cool physical rewards that come with each tier of the series.

Furthermore, to celebrate A Dream in the Dark we’re going to hit the road as a trio and reprise our “Rarities & Requests” touring format. These shows, which we first did in a limited capacity back in 2017, are some of the most fun I’ve gotten to play. The sets are always different, there are lots of surprises and a fair amount of improvisation, and it’s a great time to stand really close together onstage and really listen to each other and try to pull something special out of this little fleeting moment. I’m so excited to do it again. And subscribers to the “Golden Dreams” tier of A Dream in the Dark will get first crack at pre-ordering tickets for these shows plus a guaranteed request as part of their rewards package.

In a way, A Dream in the Dark is a kind of alternate history of Okkervil River, taking the albums out of the picture and just concentrating on the years and years of travel that turned us from dumb kids who didn’t know what we were doing into actual performers, that built us up and then burnt us out and then showed us a way forward from there. I think in order to plan the future it’s good to take stock of the past, and digging through this huge collection of recordings I’ve amassed over the years has allowed me to see a lot of things I didn’t see before about this dream I’ve been lucky enough to follow for two-plus decades. So I wanted to share all that with the people who helped make it happen. Thank you all so much and I hope you’ll take this journey with us this year as we send you live album after live album. There’s so much cool stuff coming up and I can’t wait to share it all!

You can learn more about the A Dream in the Dark archive – and sign up now – at www.adreaminthedark.com.

AdreaminthedarkLORES.jpg

This is great. Not sure I'll pay $120 to get that subscription (parental duties, etc), but it's pretty cool. They are playing one of the rarities shows here on my birthday, I may try to go to that.

Back
Top Bottom