Ok, Rush vs U2 LIVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do like Rush, but with some strong qualifications (and I actually once had dinner at Geddy Lee's house). Seriously, Geddy half the time sounds like a squirrel trapped in a blender. My ears bleed from the pain. Yes, they are higly accomplished musicians and exciting to watch, but the vocals combined with the Ayn Rand-inspired lyrics are just too irritating for me to say I unambiguously like them.

I hate Rush. Their singer sounds like an elf on helium. It's like one of the dwarves from Spinal Tap started a progressive rock band.

Well I've seen both, but I won't post my opinion, for I don't feel like getting personally attacked again...

I just found your "close-minded" minded creedo to be a trilfe contradictory, since you think Rush hasn't been "relevant"(still don't know what that means) since '91. Check out the new album sometime...it's a friggin masterpiece!

And c'mon...One Little Victory ROCKS like a motherf%%$#@er!!!!Thats how you start a show. U2 needs to get back to that.

I absolutely love Rush!! They were my first favorite band (saw them since the early 90's Roll the bones tour when I was just 11 or 12.) They'll always have a special place for me.

That said, I think that U2's shows are a little better just for the fact that they have more potential to have spontaneous elements in them. Also, I think bono is one of the most amazing frontmen ever and interacts more with the crowd etc.

I do like Rush, but with some strong qualifications (and I actually once had dinner at Geddy Lee's house). Seriously, Geddy half the time sounds like a squirrel trapped in a blender. My ears bleed from the pain. Yes, they are higly accomplished musicians and exciting to watch, but the vocals combined with the Ayn Rand-inspired lyrics are just too irritating for me to say I unambiguously like them.

Are you serious about the dinner thing? That's just ILL.
Anyway, Geddy's voice is BEAUTIFUL. People on this board ust hate his voice because they're jealous and ticked that Bono whored out his voice and can't hit big notes anymore. Geddy's on a WHOLE OTHER LEVEL vocally. He can still scream, but his voice has matured nicely since the 80's.(I in fact disliked Rush because of Geddy's voice as a kid, but once I gave them a chance, I've come to find Geddy's voice one of my favorite in all of ROCK...and his melodies in the 80's BLOW AWAY many of Bono's).

And Neil Peart makes Larry Mullen look like Verne Troyer on the drums.

YouTube - Rush - Marathon ( A Show Of Hands )

Are you serious about the dinner thing? That's just ILL.
Anyway, Geddy's voice is BEAUTIFUL. People on this board ust hate his voice because they're jealous and ticked that Bono whored out his voice and can't hit big notes anymore. Geddy's on a WHOLE OTHER LEVEL vocally. He can still scream, but his voice has matured nicely since the 80's.(I in fact disliked Rush because of Geddy's voice as a kid, but once I gave them a chance, I've come to find Geddy's voice one of my favorite in all of ROCK...and his melodies in the 80's BLOW AWAY many of Bono's).

And Neil Peart makes Larry Mullen look like Verne Troyer on the drums.

YouTube - Rush - Marathon ( A Show Of Hands )

dude.. ur on the wrong message board. I think you best hang at the Rush boards than over here..

IMO.. I HATE Geddy's VOICE.. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.. Beautiful hardly.. I wouldn't call Bono's voice beautiful either. Either way it's a lose-lose situation.

You certainly aren't going to convince me of anything and I am not sure who else.

:lol: Rush are the bane of my existence so I'm sorry-- I'm biased but I think U2 is tied with Muse as the best live bands around nowadays.

I tried to talk some sense into you before bro, but now you're just asking for it from people.

Give it a rest here. Go to the Rush boards.

:|

:heart::up:

<see my title under my screenname. :D

ALRIGHT! Someone with TASTE! I adore that band! If you like them you should check out Silverchair. Their stuff from '99 to now is very Muse-ish at times. (They are my other favorite band besides U2 so hey I thought I would get the word out on them)

I just found your "close-minded" minded creedo to be a trilfe contradictory, since you think Rush hasn't been "relevant"(still don't know what that means) since '91. Check out the new album sometime...it's a friggin masterpiece!

And c'mon...One Little Victory ROCKS like a motherf%%$#@er!!!!Thats how you start a show. U2 needs to get back to that.

A closed mind would mean I didn't know who they were or at least know their music, but I was actually a pretty big fan of theirs...

As I said, I've even seen them live.

So maybe YOU shouldn't be so quick to judge in the future...

obvious_troll.jpg

Apples and Oranges pal!
The only compareason to be made is they both make music.
U2 have sold 4-5 times as many records (meaning they appear more to peoples taste)
U2 play the biggest venues ALL over the world, and sell them out, Rush Dont!
U2 Have won a plethora of relevant awards all over the world....Rush Havent!
When was the last time Rush had chart sucsess? Either Album or single?
Nope.............Rush simply arent in the same league in any respect as u2. Whether you like it or not, they arent catering for the masses. I suggest, like a few others, you go and post your thoughts on a Rush Forum, if there is one:wave:

I have sussed out why i dont like Rush...they remind me off Marillion....which isnt good! Mariallion Suck big time and so do Rush. They are not disiimmilar to Spinal Tap too, but they admitedly were a joke.
Instead of boring us wi poxy youtube clips and inane drivel......give us some facts that stack up against u2....to back your arguement up. I will await this info with baited breath:huh:

I saw Rush shortly after what might be declared the peak of their popularity. That is, they were still a big band, but not quite as big as during the late 70's and early 80's.

Watching Peart on the drums was magical. He had 2 sets that rotated round him. He definitely puts almost all drummers to shame.

Many hear have commented on Lee's voice. I understand this. I like Rush and Yes - both groups that have singers with high voices (Yes has Jon Anderson), but I fully get someone saying they aren't a fan of the music because of this. I could never really get into the Smashing Pumpkins because Corgan's voice irritated me, yet, I realize how brilliant the songs were (I just felt Corgan ruined them as soon as he opened his mouth). Likewise, I feel the same about Bob Dylan - as soon as he opened his mouth a masterpiece became an annoyance. This is one reason I'm such a fan of U2 - I adore Bono's voice and always have. He has made songs soar and I appreciate him for it. He has turned an average song into a fantastic one because of his vocals.

Regardless, I felt Lee's vocals were perfect in concert. In fact, all of it was perfect.

And that, oddly enough, is the problem.

Rush performed EXACTLY like the album! Maybe they have changed since, but in the show I saw, it could have been like a record was playing. It was just like the album - brilliantly done, but too similar. Gone was the spontaneity (or at least the illusion of spontaneity) of a live performance. I love how U2 adds extra versus to songs or really makes a song come alive in concert. Songs like "With or Without You", "One", "Mysterious Ways", "Until the End...", "I Still Haven't...", "Love & Peace", "Elevation", "Sunday Bloody Sunday", etc., became even more powerful thanks to U2's performances in concert. Each had different arrangements than the album which made the song and the performance stand out.

So as great as Rush is, Bono's charisma, the extra passion in the performance, and the overall theatrics make U2 the "winner", if you will.

I saw Rush shortly after what might be declared the peak of their popularity. That is, they were still a big band, but not quite as big as during the late 70's and early 80's.

Watching Peart on the drums was magical. He had 2 sets that rotated round him. He definitely puts almost all drummers to shame.

Many hear have commented on Lee's voice. I understand this. I like Rush and Yes - both groups that have singers with high voices (Yes has Jon Anderson), but I fully get someone saying they aren't a fan of the music because of this. I could never really get into the Smashing Pumpkins because Corgan's voice irritated me, yet, I realize how brilliant the songs were (I just felt Corgan ruined them as soon as he opened his mouth). Likewise, I feel the same about Bob Dylan - as soon as he opened his mouth a masterpiece became an annoyance. This is one reason I'm such a fan of U2 - I adore Bono's voice and always have. He has made songs soar and I appreciate him for it. He has turned an average song into a fantastic one because of his vocals.

Regardless, I felt Lee's vocals were perfect in concert. In fact, all of it was perfect.

And that, oddly enough, is the problem.

Rush performed EXACTLY like the album! Maybe they have changed since, but in the show I saw, it could have been like a record was playing. It was just like the album - brilliantly done, but too similar. Gone was the spontaneity (or at least the illusion of spontaneity) of a live performance. I love how U2 adds extra versus to songs or really makes a song come alive in concert. Songs like "With or Without You", "One", "Mysterious Ways", "Until the End...", "I Still Haven't...", "Love & Peace", "Elevation", "Sunday Bloody Sunday", etc., became even more powerful thanks to U2's performances in concert. Each had different arrangements than the album which made the song and the performance stand out.

So as great as Rush is, Bono's charisma, the extra passion in the performance, and the overall theatrics make U2 the "winner", if you will.

well said and i tend to agree with ya especially in regards to what you said about U2 I think this is true and what makes them stand out as a great live band.
I agree that Rush is overflowing with the degree of talent and just overall musicianship.

I don't want to see a band live who don't venture away from the album version of their songs and play it safe by sounding like the album I want the spontaneity of extra verses or just a different take on the song. There is just something about U2's songs that take on a whole another life when they are played live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom