Ok, Rush vs U2 LIVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Rush shortly after what might be declared the peak of their popularity. That is, they were still a big band, but not quite as big as during the late 70's and early 80's.

Rush's concert demand has continued to increase in just about every single market they've played in since day one...and hence they haven't reached a peak yet. They've headlined arenas & stadiums worldwide for 30 years.

Watching Peart on the drums was magical. He had 2 sets that rotated round him. He definitely puts almost all drummers to shame.

Yep.

Many hear have commented on Lee's voice. I understand this. I like Rush and Yes - both groups that have singers with high voices (Yes has Jon Anderson), but I fully get someone saying they aren't a fan of the music because of this. I could never really get into the Smashing Pumpkins because Corgan's voice irritated me, yet, I realize how brilliant the songs were (I just felt Corgan ruined them as soon as he opened his mouth). Likewise, I feel the same about Bob Dylan - as soon as he opened his mouth a masterpiece became an annoyance. This is one reason I'm such a fan of U2 - I adore Bono's voice and always have. He has made songs soar and I appreciate him for it. He has turned an average song into a fantastic one because of his vocals.

To these ears, Geddy's voice is fine. And as far as I'm concerned, if anything, Bono is nowhere near the singer he used to be.

Regardless, I felt Lee's vocals were perfect in concert. In fact, all of it was perfect.

And that, oddly enough, is the problem.

Rush performed EXACTLY like the album! Maybe they have changed since, but in the show I saw, it could have been like a record was playing. It was just like the album - brilliantly done, but too similar. Gone was the spontaneity (or at least the illusion of spontaneity) of a live performance. I love how U2 adds extra versus to songs or really makes a song come alive in concert. Songs like "With or Without You", "One", "Mysterious Ways", "Until the End...", "I Still Haven't...", "Love & Peace", "Elevation", "Sunday Bloody Sunday", etc., became even more powerful thanks to U2's performances in concert. Each had different arrangements than the album which made the song and the performance stand out.

Rush have utilized some different arrangements live and not one of their songs sounds the same live. So I'm not sure when you saw them or why you would state the above?

So as great as Rush is, Bono's charisma, the extra passion in the performance, and the overall theatrics make U2 the "winner", if you will.

Extra passion? :hmm: Bono is a vocalist and performer who is far past his prime. And that doesn't constitute "extra passion", IMO.

This thread is very silly. But let's take it one step further. Because apart from U2 being more popular than Rush, Rush have EVERYTHING OF IMPORTANCE that U2 don't have anymore, or never did in the first place:

~ Artistic integrity
~ Vehemently refusing to "sell out"
~ Ultimate musicianship
~ Continually innovative/original & excellent compositions
~ Affordable prices (tix, merchandise, etc,)

Rush sit at the top of the mountain looking down on U2.

Damn, this guy continues to boggle my mind. He calls other people narrow minded yet he's so incredibly shallow himself. What's wrong with people having different opinions?
We even give valid arguments why we do not like Rush, and I do not like the singers voice BECAUSE I DO NOT LIKE IT. It has nothing to do with Boners voice whatshowever.
The difference is that we're not constantly comparing with U2. Some of us actually listen to some music objectively, like, not comparing and just seeing if you like it. And I tried that and realise that Rush ain't my piece of cake.
I don't give a shit about comparing them to U2 because there's no use. This is a U2 forum so you can expect 99% of the people here to love the band. It's why we went on this forum.
It's good to listen to other music, and I listen to a load of artists too. But what's the fucking use in comparing U2 to others? Why are you trying to get your point across like this when it's obvious that NOBODY is going to support you?

FINE we get it, you like Rush more. Good for you. You can have your own opinion

But for gods sake LET US HAVE OURS.
Stop forcing your own opinion down our throats.

To these ears, Geddy's voice is fine. And as far as I'm concerned, if anything, Bono is nowhere near the singer he used to be.

Extra passion? :hmm: Bono is a vocalist and performer who is far past his prime. And that doesn't constitute "extra passion", IMO.

This thread is very silly. But let's take it one step further. Because apart from U2 being more popular than Rush, Rush have EVERYTHING OF IMPORTANCE that U2 don't have anymore, or never did in the first place:

~ Artistic integrity
~ Ultimate musicianship

Geddy's vocals, at least live, have noticeably declined...he can't sing Limelight anymore, for example....it's such a struggle and he just slurs his words in that freakish chicken voice of his..he's like a helium head with long hair....it's like he clamps his nuts in vice grips before going on stage....it just doesn't work.

Bono's voice is on a completely different level than Geddy's, past and present....I'm sorry dude, say it's true, it's true!

I think the next U2 album will at the very least put this whole voice comparison to rest...we'll see :)

Rush's concert demand has continued to increase in just about every single market they've played in since day one...and hence they haven't reached a peak yet. They've headlined arenas & stadiums worldwide for 30 years.

Yep.

Rush have utilized some different arrangements live and not one of their songs sounds the same live. So I'm not sure when you saw them or why you would state the above?

~ Artistic integrity
~ Ultimate musicianship

and you are on this board because? :huh:

to troll perhaps..

none of what you have said here is going to convince anyone so ur wasting your time.

Geddy's vocals, at least live, have noticeably declined...he can't sing Limelight anymore, for example....it's such a struggle and he just slurs his words in that freakish chicken voice of his..he's like a helium head with long hair....it's like he clamps his nuts in vice grips before going on stage....it just doesn't work.

Geddy's vocals haven't "declined" at all. He sings Limelight fine. And he doesn't slur his words.

Bono, on the other hand, should stick to what he knows best...pretending to still be sincere, dying his hair and acting like he's the same talent he once was. And let's see him sing, Red Hill Mining Town or Acrobat. Not going to happen...

Bono's voice is on a completely different level than Geddy's, past and present....I'm sorry dude, say it's true, it's true!

It's not true.

I think the next U2 album will at the very least put this whole voice comparison to rest...we'll see :)

It won't.

It doesn't have to. Because what I said above in the last part of my second to last post, is FACTUAL.

where? and what is 'factual'?

looks like ur opinion and that's all i see..

and let's get it straight that what is commented here for the most part is everyone's opinion and not fact.

Oh, this thread is gold. Thank you, Interference, for providing me with many laughs while I procrastinate!

See, people, the thing about music is...you can't really be objective about it. I happen to think that Pink Floyd piss all over Rush (and U2, for that matter), but I would never try to convince a person that this is fact. I might try to encourage someone to check a band out, but the idea of belittling said person if the music is not to his or her liking would not even enter my mind for a second. Why? It's pointless. Taste is such a massively subjective thing, even when it comes to live shows.

where? and what is 'factual'?

This...

~ Artistic integrity
~ Ultimate musicianship

Rush have EVERYTHING OF IMPORTANCE that U2 don't have anymore, or never did in the first place:

~ Artistic integrity
~ Ultimate musicianship

You'll find people will disagree with you on the "ultimate musicianship" bit. I personally think that Rush are better musicians than U2, but fans here will tell you that Edge's minimalism affects them in ways that no other guitarist can. They'll tell you that Larry Mullen's simplistic beats support the backbone of the band, and that Peart's just showing off. So to present this as "fact" will not win you any support, because people will always view such things with bias. I had to learn this the hard way, believe me. I can distinctly recall a thread in which about 90% of the posters agreed that Bono was a better singer than Freddie Mercury...

The quality of musical composition is also a subjective matter. You cannot prove musical excellency.

This...

~ Artistic integrity
~ Ultimate musicianship

HELLO... what planet are you on or rather what are you smokin cuz maybe I need some... go look up what opinion and what is fact will ya... cuz apparently you haven't the faintest clue.

Dude go take ur outlandish non-facts somewhere else..

and for the record U2 never claim to be ultimate or even great musicians (this does not make a great live performance btw it's the whole package, impact, vibe etc that does this), this is totally subjective in regards to who is the ultimate musician cuz everyone is going to have a different OPINION of who is the best.

You'll find people will disagree with you on the "ultimate musicianship" bit.

Then they're delusional. It's that simple.

The quality of musical composition is also a subjective matter. You cannot prove musical excellency.

I know that. But I'm talking about continually innovative & original compositions - something U2 stopped churning out after the 90s...

Geddy's vocals haven't "declined" at all. He sings Limelight fine. And he doesn't slur his words.

Bono, on the other hand, should stick to what he knows best...pretending to still be sincere, dying his hair and acting like he's the same talent he once was. And let's see him sing, Red Hill Mining Town or Acrobat. Not going to happen...

Dude...you are out of your mind...just think about this for a second:

On the Joshua Tree Tour, when Red Hill Mining Town had just been released, Bono didn't feel comfortable singing it....that was over 20 years ago...Bono has better chances pulling it off nowadays than he ever has...I mean it was pretty much impossible for him to generate that sorta power on ZooTV tour, especially popmart and elevation, and then it was very unlikely on the vertigo tour despite his improvements....and just based on the most recent performances, he seems more capable now than he has been the past 20 years....so that's just a reeeally shitty argument and doesn't make much sense. :shrug:

Dude...you are out of your mind...just think about this for a second:

On the Joshua Tree Tour, when Red Hill Mining Town had just been released, Bono didn't feel comfortable singing it....that was over 20 years ago...Bono has better chances pulling it off nowadays than he ever has...I mean it was pretty much impossible for him to generate that sorta power on ZooTV tour, especially popmart and elevation, and then it was very unlikely on the vertigo tour despite his improvements....and just based on the most recent performances, he seems more capable now than he has been the past 20 years....so that's just a reeeally shitty argument and doesn't make much sense. :shrug:

Wow! That's probably the best excuse for Bono's lack of vocal strength I've ever heard! Congrats! :rolleyes:

~ Artistic integrity
~ Ultimate musicianship

ok, NOTHING you said right there is fact, not one thing!!! That is simply your view on things...

Are all Rush fans heads up their asses? I dont like their music, and if their fanbase is anything like the ones on here, spouting their pish, well, its one more reason not to like em.

i could say the same about you in this regard.. and this is what we like to call an opinion. There you learned something new today.

No, you couldn't. Why? Because, technically speaking, at least, Geddy Lee is a better bassist than Adam Clayton. Alex Lifeson is a better guitarist than The Edge. And Neil Peart is a better drummer than Larry Mullen Jr. BY A MILE. This is not debatable.

That's what I meant by "ultimate musicianship."

ok, NOTHING you said right there is fact, not one thing!!! That is simply your view on things...

Yes it is.

Because U2 are TOTAL "sell outs", do not make innovative/original music anymore, do not have affordable prices anymore, are not better musicians than Rush are...and hence do not have artistic integrity anymore.

Get it?

Wow! That's probably the best excuse for Bono's lack of vocal strength I've ever heard! Congrats! :rolleyes:

obviously you forgot what you were talking about...you were saying that Bono pretends to have the voice he once had, and that he has been declining for years now, way past his prime....and you used the fact that Bono hasn't sung RHMT to support that argument...I was just letting you know that U2 have NEVER performed it before, so it makes to say "look, he can't sing that song anymore! Bono's washed up and pretends to have the talent he once had!" is ridiculous....

No, you couldn't. Why? Because, technically speaking, at least, Geddy is a better bassist than Adam Clayton. Alex Lifeson is a better guitarist than The Edge. And Neil is a better drummer than Larry Mullen Jr. BY A MILE. This is not debatable.

That's what I meant by "ultimate musicianship."

this is your opinion not fact can you friggin understand that? or not.

I posted previously that none of the guys (u2) claim to be great musicians (and as fans we tend to agree) what part of this do you not understand?

Ultimate musicians do not necessarily make a great live act/performance that is what this thread is about in case you forgot. Read my posts will ya before just keep repeating over and over what your opinion of how great Rush is. :banghead:

obviously you forgot what you were talking about...you were saying that Bono pretends to have the voice he once had, and that he has been declining for years now, way past his prime....and you used the fact that Bono hasn't sung RHMT to support that argument...I was just letting you know that U2 have NEVER performed it before, so it makes to say "look, he can't sing that song anymore! Bono's washed up and pretends to have the talent he once had!" is ridiculous....

I never said "Bono pretends to have the voice he once had". And the reason U2 don't play Red Hill Mining Town is because Bono CAN'T sing it well enough live.

That's just one example.

Get it?

This is the most annoying thread I've seen in a long time.

And that's really saying something around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom