Ok, Rush vs U2 LIVE - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #31
War Child
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 567
Local Time: 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho View Post
I saw Rush shortly after what might be declared the peak of their popularity. That is, they were still a big band, but not quite as big as during the late 70's and early 80's.
Rush's concert demand has continued to increase in just about every single market they've played in since day one...and hence they haven't reached a peak yet. They've headlined arenas & stadiums worldwide for 30 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho View Post
Watching Peart on the drums was magical. He had 2 sets that rotated round him. He definitely puts almost all drummers to shame.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho View Post
Many hear have commented on Lee's voice. I understand this. I like Rush and Yes - both groups that have singers with high voices (Yes has Jon Anderson), but I fully get someone saying they aren't a fan of the music because of this. I could never really get into the Smashing Pumpkins because Corgan's voice irritated me, yet, I realize how brilliant the songs were (I just felt Corgan ruined them as soon as he opened his mouth). Likewise, I feel the same about Bob Dylan - as soon as he opened his mouth a masterpiece became an annoyance. This is one reason I'm such a fan of U2 - I adore Bono's voice and always have. He has made songs soar and I appreciate him for it. He has turned an average song into a fantastic one because of his vocals.
To these ears, Geddy's voice is fine. And as far as I'm concerned, if anything, Bono is nowhere near the singer he used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho View Post
Regardless, I felt Lee's vocals were perfect in concert. In fact, all of it was perfect.

And that, oddly enough, is the problem.

Rush performed EXACTLY like the album! Maybe they have changed since, but in the show I saw, it could have been like a record was playing. It was just like the album - brilliantly done, but too similar. Gone was the spontaneity (or at least the illusion of spontaneity) of a live performance. I love how U2 adds extra versus to songs or really makes a song come alive in concert. Songs like "With or Without You", "One", "Mysterious Ways", "Until the End...", "I Still Haven't...", "Love & Peace", "Elevation", "Sunday Bloody Sunday", etc., became even more powerful thanks to U2's performances in concert. Each had different arrangements than the album which made the song and the performance stand out.
Rush have utilized some different arrangements live and not one of their songs sounds the same live. So I'm not sure when you saw them or why you would state the above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho View Post
So as great as Rush is, Bono's charisma, the extra passion in the performance, and the overall theatrics make U2 the "winner", if you will.
Extra passion? Bono is a vocalist and performer who is far past his prime. And that doesn't constitute "extra passion", IMO.



This thread is very silly. But let's take it one step further. Because apart from U2 being more popular than Rush, Rush have EVERYTHING OF IMPORTANCE that U2 don't have anymore, or never did in the first place:

~ Artistic integrity
~ Vehemently refusing to "sell out"
~ Ultimate musicianship
~ Continually innovative/original & excellent compositions
~ Affordable prices (tix, merchandise, etc,)


Rush sit at the top of the mountain looking down on U2.
__________________

__________________
Moggio is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #32
Refugee
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,593
Local Time: 10:30 PM
1980'-90' u2 live > rush live
2000 on u2 live < rush live
__________________

__________________
bigjohn2441 is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 02:43 PM   #33
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 03:30 AM
Damn, this guy continues to boggle my mind. He calls other people narrow minded yet he's so incredibly shallow himself. What's wrong with people having different opinions?
We even give valid arguments why we do not like Rush, and I do not like the singers voice BECAUSE I DO NOT LIKE IT. It has nothing to do with Boners voice whatshowever.
The difference is that we're not constantly comparing with U2. Some of us actually listen to some music objectively, like, not comparing and just seeing if you like it. And I tried that and realise that Rush ain't my piece of cake.
I don't give a shit about comparing them to U2 because there's no use. This is a U2 forum so you can expect 99% of the people here to love the band. It's why we went on this forum.
It's good to listen to other music, and I listen to a load of artists too. But what's the fucking use in comparing U2 to others? Why are you trying to get your point across like this when it's obvious that NOBODY is going to support you?

FINE we get it, you like Rush more. Good for you. You can have your own opinion

But for gods sake LET US HAVE OURS.
Stop forcing your own opinion down our throats.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Rob33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,420
Local Time: 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggio View Post


To these ears, Geddy's voice is fine. And as far as I'm concerned, if anything, Bono is nowhere near the singer he used to be.



Extra passion? Bono is a vocalist and performer who is far past his prime. And that doesn't constitute "extra passion", IMO.



This thread is very silly. But let's take it one step further. Because apart from U2 being more popular than Rush, Rush have EVERYTHING OF IMPORTANCE that U2 don't have anymore, or never did in the first place:

~ Artistic integrity
~ Vehemently refusing to "sell out"
~ Ultimate musicianship
~ Continually innovative/original & excellent compositions
~ Affordable prices (tix, merchandise, etc,)


Rush sit at the top of the mountain looking down on U2.

Geddy's vocals, at least live, have noticeably declined...he can't sing Limelight anymore, for example....it's such a struggle and he just slurs his words in that freakish chicken voice of his..he's like a helium head with long hair....it's like he clamps his nuts in vice grips before going on stage....it just doesn't work.

Bono's voice is on a completely different level than Geddy's, past and present....I'm sorry dude, say it's true, it's true!

I think the next U2 album will at the very least put this whole voice comparison to rest...we'll see
__________________
Rob33 is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggio View Post
Rush's concert demand has continued to increase in just about every single market they've played in since day one...and hence they haven't reached a peak yet. They've headlined arenas & stadiums worldwide for 30 years.



Yep.



To these ears, Geddy's voice is fine. And as far as I'm concerned, if anything, Bono is nowhere near the singer he used to be.



Rush have utilized some different arrangements live and not one of their songs sounds the same live. So I'm not sure when you saw them or why you would state the above?



Extra passion? Bono is a vocalist and performer who is far past his prime. And that doesn't constitute "extra passion", IMO.



This thread is very silly. But let's take it one step further. Because apart from U2 being more popular than Rush, Rush have EVERYTHING OF IMPORTANCE that U2 don't have anymore, or never did in the first place:

~ Artistic integrity
~ Vehemently refusing to "sell out"
~ Ultimate musicianship
~ Continually innovative/original & excellent compositions
~ Affordable prices (tix, merchandise, etc,)


Rush sit at the top of the mountain looking down on U2.


and you are on this board because?


to troll perhaps..


none of what you have said here is going to convince anyone so ur wasting your time.
__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #36
War Child
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 567
Local Time: 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
Geddy's vocals, at least live, have noticeably declined...he can't sing Limelight anymore, for example....it's such a struggle and he just slurs his words in that freakish chicken voice of his..he's like a helium head with long hair....it's like he clamps his nuts in vice grips before going on stage....it just doesn't work.
Geddy's vocals haven't "declined" at all. He sings Limelight fine. And he doesn't slur his words.

Bono, on the other hand, should stick to what he knows best...pretending to still be sincere, dying his hair and acting like he's the same talent he once was. And let's see him sing, Red Hill Mining Town or Acrobat. Not going to happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
Bono's voice is on a completely different level than Geddy's, past and present....I'm sorry dude, say it's true, it's true!
It's not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
I think the next U2 album will at the very least put this whole voice comparison to rest...we'll see
It won't.
__________________
Moggio is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #37
War Child
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 567
Local Time: 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
and you are on this board because?
Because I'm an old school U2 fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
to troll perhaps...
No. Just to provide fanboys here with a reality check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
none of what you have said here is going to convince anyone so ur wasting your time.
It doesn't have to. Because what I said above in the last part of my second to last post, is FACTUAL.
__________________
Moggio is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggio View Post
It doesn't have to. Because what I said above in the last part of my second to last post, is FACTUAL.
where? and what is 'factual'?


looks like ur opinion and that's all i see..


and let's get it straight that what is commented here for the most part is everyone's opinion and not fact.
__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggio View Post
No. Just to provide fanboys here with a reality check.
now this is just flat out hilarious IMO.
__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #40
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggio View Post

It doesn't have to. Because what I said above in the last part of my second to last post, is FACTUAL.
For fucks sake.




OPINION =/= FACT
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
biff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I may have lost my way
Posts: 4,014
Local Time: 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastEdgeOnEarth View Post
Are you serious about the dinner thing? That's just ILL.
Yeah, I was serious. It was no big deal - he's just a regular, down-to-earth type of guy. It's not as if I had dinner at Bono's house. Now THAT would be something to brag about!
__________________
biff is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 10:30 PM
Oh, this thread is gold. Thank you, Interference, for providing me with many laughs while I procrastinate!

See, people, the thing about music is...you can't really be objective about it. I happen to think that Pink Floyd piss all over Rush (and U2, for that matter), but I would never try to convince a person that this is fact. I might try to encourage someone to check a band out, but the idea of belittling said person if the music is not to his or her liking would not even enter my mind for a second. Why? It's pointless. Taste is such a massively subjective thing, even when it comes to live shows.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #43
War Child
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 567
Local Time: 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
where? and what is 'factual'?
This...

This thread is very silly. But let's take it one step further. Because apart from U2 being more popular than Rush, Rush have EVERYTHING OF IMPORTANCE that U2 don't have anymore, or never did in the first place:

~ Artistic integrity
~ Vehemently refusing to "sell out"
~ Ultimate musicianship
~ Continually innovative/original & excellent compositions
~ Affordable prices (tix, merchandise, etc,)
__________________
Moggio is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggio View Post
Rush have EVERYTHING OF IMPORTANCE that U2 don't have anymore, or never did in the first place:

~ Artistic integrity
~ Vehemently refusing to "sell out"
~ Ultimate musicianship
~ Continually innovative/original & excellent compositions
~ Affordable prices (tix, merchandise, etc,)
You'll find people will disagree with you on the "ultimate musicianship" bit. I personally think that Rush are better musicians than U2, but fans here will tell you that Edge's minimalism affects them in ways that no other guitarist can. They'll tell you that Larry Mullen's simplistic beats support the backbone of the band, and that Peart's just showing off. So to present this as "fact" will not win you any support, because people will always view such things with bias. I had to learn this the hard way, believe me. I can distinctly recall a thread in which about 90% of the posters agreed that Bono was a better singer than Freddie Mercury...

The quality of musical composition is also a subjective matter. You cannot prove musical excellency.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
For fucks sake.




OPINION =/= FACT

thank you...
__________________

__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
rush, u2

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com