OK Computer named best album of the past 25 years by Q readers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SirenWren

Babyface
The Press Association: Radiohead top 25-year album chart

top 30:

1. OK Computer – Radiohead
2. Nevermind – Nirvana
3. (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? – Oasis
4. Definitely Maybe – Oasis
5. Whatever People Say I Am That’s What I’m Not – Arctic Monkeys
6. The Joshua Tree – U2
7. The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses
8. The Bends – Radiohead
9. Achtung Baby – U2
10. Black Holes And Revelations – Muse
11. Is This It – The Strokes
12. A Rush Of Blood To The Head – Coldplay
13. Parklife – Blur
14. Screamadelica – Primal Scream
15. White Blood Cells – The White Stripes
16. In The Aeroplane Over The Sea – Neutral Milk Hotel
17. Hot Fuss – The Killers.
18. Kid A – Radiohead
19. Funeral – Arcade Fire
20. American Idiot – Green Day
21. The Holy Bible – Manic Street Preachers
22. Absolution – Muse
23. In Rainbows – Radiohead
24. Only By The Night – Kings Of Leon
25. Demon Days – Gorillaz
26. Origin Of Symmetry – Muse
27. Appetite For Destruction – Guns N’Roses
28. Urban Hymns – The Verve
29. Automatic For The People – R.E.M.
30. Loveless – My Bloody Valentine

That's a list of mostly good albums, but few are worthy of the top 30 of the past 25 years and many are commonly overrated (Nevermind is good, but #2? and Oasis are boring.) Though not my ultimate pick I can't say OK Computer is a bad choice.

i never agree with lists anyway, unless the lists are written by me, in which case they are correct

It's a reader poll from the equivalent of Rolling Stone, gang. Of course it's going to be awful.

It's pretty much a 2000s list anyways, from what could tell with a few sprinklings from the 90s in there and just a tiny tiny pinch of 80s.

Black Holes barely qualifies as an album, let alone a coherent one, let alone the 10th best of the past 25 years. Absolution, their strongest, is probably the 780th best.

OK Computer would probably be my choice for #1 also.

Black Holes barely qualifies as an album, let alone a coherent one, let alone the 10th best of the past 25 years. Absolution, their strongest, is probably the 780th best.

OK Computer would probably be my choice for #1 also.

Not a Muse fan? 780th is a bit harsh.

Half the list is pretty good, but come on, Muse is entertaining and all but they don't even deserve one mention on a list like that, let alone three, particularly with Black Holes @ #10, I half expected Resistance to be on their for good measure.

Also, The Bends is better than OK Computer yeah, and AB is better than JT, so there!

I'm going on the wild assumption that there are great albums I haven't heard.

Why the snark? I was just asking.

But take unheard albums out of the equation; if you were making a list of your personal favorite 30 albums from the last 25 years, would any Muse album be on it?

I'm only asking because Muse is pretty popular here, so I get a little surprised when I see people who aren't overly big fans.

Ha, sorry, I didn't think you were seriously asking me to rank it.

Out of 25 years? Hmm.

According to rateyourmusic, I've heard roughly 1003 albums from that time frame. My average score is 3.8/5, and I gave Absolution a 4/5. So it's probably going to be somewhere above 500. However, I tend to rank (if not rate) albums I've spent more time with higher than those I have not, as I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt over similarly-ranked records. I've spent a lot of time with that one. I'd probably place it somewhere in the 350s, I suppose. Origin of Symmetry is about equal IMO, although it would be in the 400s because I've only heard it once, great as it was. Black Holes would probably be in the 600s, actually. I barely remember Resistance.

So there you go. I live a sad life.

Ha, sorry, I didn't think you were seriously asking me to rank it.

Out of 25 years? Hmm.

According to rateyourmusic, I've heard roughly 1003 albums from that time frame. My average score is 3.8/5, and I gave Absolution a 4/5. So it's probably going to be somewhere above 500. However, I tend to rank (if not rate) albums I've spent more time with higher than those I have not, as I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt over similarly-ranked records. I've spent a lot of time with that one. I'd probably place it somewhere in the 350s, I suppose. Origin of Symmetry is about equal IMO, although it would be in the 400s because I've only heard it once, great as it was. Black Holes would probably be in the 600s, actually. I barely remember Resistance.

So there you go. I live a sad life.

Wow...goes to show, different strokes for different folks. I rank Resistance as their best. Thanks for the response, though :)

As an aside...you listen to a HELL of a lot of music. Like, I thought I listened to a good amount, but...you said you've listened to 1003 albums from the period 1985-2010. I bet I'm under 300.

Half the list is pretty good, but come on, Muse is entertaining and all but they don't even deserve one mention on a list like that, let alone three

What does "deserve" have anything to do with it though? This was a readers poll, so in effect this is a popularity contest (though any compiled list, from critics or readers, is in the end a popularity contest). If a band is popular with the readership of a magazine, then their albums will appear on the list.

From a personal standpoint, Black Holes and The Resistance would be on my list for sure.

Pretty strange pick for The White Stripes though, I wouldn't have thought that White Blood Cells would be that popular.

6. The Joshua Tree – U2
8. The Bends – Radiohead
9. Achtung Baby – U2
13. Parklife – Blur
14. Screamadelica – Primal Scream
15. White Blood Cells – The White Stripes
18. Kid A – Radiohead
20. American Idiot – Green Day
23. In Rainbows – Radiohead
25. Demon Days – Gorillaz
29. Automatic For The People – R.E.M.
30. Loveless – My Bloody Valentine

The ones that deserve to be at least in a top 100.

I own the all albums that I've bolded on the list below. I must have good musical taste. :D

2. Nevermind – Nirvana
3. (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? – Oasis

5. Whatever People Say I Am That’s What I’m Not – Arctic Monkeys
6. The Joshua Tree – U2
8. The Bends – Radiohead
9. Achtung Baby – U2
10. Black Holes And Revelations – Muse

11. Is This It – The Strokes