Official Replacements Thread...discuss their greatness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
They made great music.

And some cool videos.

We know this, but obviously the rest of mankind does not know it well enough.

Go on.

The rest of mankind needs to be educated.

I just love Westerberg's lyrics, and the bands allegiance to making music their way, on their own terms.

I was a teenager when the Mats were making a name for themselves; it was a good time to be exposed to what was truly "alternative" rock.

the greatest indie band of all time. One of the greatest bands of all time.

No one else will ever come close. Not now, not in the past, not 25 years from now.

It's not possible.

Raw, yearning, loose, fun, drunk, punk, depressing, ragged, sad, mellon collie.

Percect American Rock & Roll music.

Percect Rock & Roll music.

I'm such a complete dork....I was in Minneapolis for the first time ever in January, a business trip...and spent whatever free time I had exploring the city and constantly listening to the Replacements. Listening to Skyway while walking in the Skyway might seem lame, but it made me smile.

No spoken words said:
I'm such a complete dork....I was in Minneapolis for the first time ever in January, a business trip...and spent whatever free time I had exploring the city and constantly listening to the Replacements. Listening to Skyway while walking in the Skyway might seem lame, but it made me smile.

:drool:

I agree Tim is overall a slightly better album, but I'll never be able to hear 'I Will Dare' without immediately being taken back to getting ready to go out with friends in high school, driving way over the speed limit through ditches at angles I can't believe didn't overturn the car, hanging out drinking down by the river (yeah, we were hicks) with that album blasting in the background...sentimental teenage stuff.

Years later I saw them perform at Grant Park in Chicago, that was a great show.

LemonMelon said:
Better album, Let It Be or Tim?

I prefer Let it Be. With the exception of Black Diamond, it's a perfect garage rock GFY album (and come to think of it, A KISS song really is appropriate - I just hate KISS). I love it. These guys got Rock n Roll on a level so many other bands and their scenes only wished they could. They were more hardcore than hardcore and punker than punk. They didn't give a fuck.

Tim gets a little silly, I think. Waitress in the Sky, Kiss me on the Bus (though real catchy) they just lose me. Bastards of Young, though, is one of my favorite songs of all time, right up there Chartered Trips by their neighbors Husker Du. Also the Tim version of Can't Hardly Wait is perfection.

Great interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqvt7YBkG3Y&mode=related&search=

In addition to the two already mentioned, Pleased to Meet Me is just fucking greatness all over the place. :drool:

Love these guys. One of the best bands of the 80's, no contest.

Pleased to Meet Me is their most accessible, so that's probably as good of a starting place as any.

You can't go wrong with Let it Be or Tim either, though.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Sounds like a band I'd like, where should I start?

The early stuff is raw as raw can be (I think Tommy Stinson was 14 when they recorded their first album) Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash

Hootenany is garage punk. Fast and fun.

Then came the holy trinity of Mats albums:
Let It Be
Tim
Pleased To Meet Me

Don't Tell A Soul
All Shook down

were good, not as good a the above 3, but good.

They have a best of, witha pretty good tracklist:

51G6N7H1YAL._AA240_.jpg

I also love some of Paul Westerberg's solo work. I have no idea what made me have the sense to buy 14 Songs back when I was 13 or 14, but I did. Does anyone know if he's playing again? I know he hurt his hand pretty badly a few months back and wasn't able to play at all.

MrBrau1 said:

Then came the holy trinity of Mats albums:
Let It Be
Tim
Pleased To Meet Me

TIM was the album I heard when I was a teenager that turned me on to the Replacements. This older guy brought it to the basketball court where we played pick up games. After games, we'd sit aound, drink our water, gatorade, etc and listen to tunes on someone's jambox. Very seldom would a band grab hold of me, but the 'Mats' did. One of the finest catalogues out there, and the "hits" collection that came out last year had good selections.

I listened to Tim for the first time today...

It is, indeed, an excellent record. So far, I still prefer Let It Be, but Tim has some amazing songs (Left Of The Dial is probably my new favorite Replacements song). Next up, Pleased To Meet Me. :drool:

Tim just goes to extremes.

You have the fun "On The Bus" and "Waitress In The Sky", alongside blazing rockers like "Left Of The Dial", "Bastards Of Young", & "Little Mascara."

And it all ends with the saddest song I've ever heard in "Here Comes A Regular."

I'm really digging Let It Be so far. It doesn't hold back and I like that.

In Gary's Got a Boner, Gary indeed does have a boner. I wonder if that relates to Tommy getting his tonsils taken out.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I'm really digging Let It Be so far. It doesn't hold back and I like that.

In Gary's Got a Boner, Gary indeed does have a boner. I wonder if that relates to Tommy getting his tonsils taken out.

You're in for a good ride in terms of discovery.

They're one of the best bands ever.

If someone called them the best band ever, I wouldn't argue. They have a amazing spirit in their music, even though it's soaked in whiskey, bloody lips, and romantic disappointment

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom