OASIS - New Album(s) and all General Discussion - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #406
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:37 PM
Be Here Now was actually the first Oasis album I listened to, so I hated it on its own without any comparisons to the rest of their discography,

There are definitely parallels to POP in the way the initial positive reception changed to the commonly accepted "where it all went wrong" label both albums get smacked with.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #407
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:37 AM
Maybe '97's just a cursed year.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:43 PM   #408
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Maybe '97's just a cursed year.
My favourite guitarist changed styles to something more dance influenced in 97; the album flopped and no one cared about any of the follow ups
Old 10-18-2008, 03:48 AM   #409
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:37 AM
Regarding Be Here Now. Sure it's bloated. But that's the way it's supposed to be,the songs are as they are, you could try shortening them, but they are supposed to be long-winded and full of pretence. That's probably why I'm finding it hard to imagine slotting in some of those b-sides, because they are, for the most part, less able to be bloated, except maybe My Sister Lover.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #410
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:37 AM
The B-sides are from the same recording sessions, have the same feel as the album tracks, and are quite lengthy in their own right. To me, they fit right in.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #411
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
The songs that I wouldn't mind not being on the album would have been The Girl In The Dirty Shirt and the title track.
I love the title track but agree that Dirty Shirt is meh.

Quote:
I don't mind Magic Pie - I don't think it's as good as some of the other tracks, but I think it's decent.
Yeah, it's good but way too long! Same problem as All Around The World.

Quote:
I also don't see the need for the reprise. Instead, I would have had It's Getting Better Man and then the regular All Around The World to end it.
Completely agree with this! Whatever possessed them to put It's Gettin' Better after the song that sounds like it was made to be a closer???

And they go from it's gettin' better to we're gettin' better... how ironic!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:52 AM   #412
Blue Crack Supplier

Also, they could have just fused All Around The World and the Reprise together so that the song ends with that beatlesque fanfare melody and door slamming sound... and cut out all the fat and made it about 6 or 7 min max, instead of a total of 11 to 12 min as it stands now!
Old 10-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #413
Blue Crack Addict

Again, I could go either way with Magic Pie. I don't mind it, but it's not one of my favorites either.

However, I strongly disagree with All Around The World being too long. That was the whole point. The album is supposed to be excessive, and ending with a 10 minute opus puts the finishing touches on it perfectly. I would just remove the reprise and use the single version at the end (which is about 20 seconds longer to allow for the proper fadeout).
Old 10-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #414
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The album is supposed to be excessive
What? Who said that?
Old 10-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #415
Blue Crack Addict

Haven't you read anything as to how Be Here Now was made, Zoots? They were on drugs most of the time, putting layer after layer of music on tape and going all out, not cutting anything and just letting the music flow. Some say the album could use some editing in certain songs, that it's too long - I say no, just a couple of songs switched for B-sides. I love how the music is longer and goes for a while.

And stop using so much. Sheesh. If I didn't know any better, I would've thought you were really BVS.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #416
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Haven't you read anything as to how Be Here Now was made, Zoots?
No.

Quote:
And stop using so much. Sheesh. If I didn't know any better, I would've thought you were really BVS.
I wasn't consciously overusing it!
Old 10-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #417
Refugee

I will never understand why "Stay Young" was kept off Be Here Now; in addition, the cover of "Street Fighting Man" would have fit right into the mood of the album, although I can understand why a cover would not be included.
I am not sure that the argument of purposeful excess can be used as a justification for the album, however. Definitely Maybe is just as bombastic in terms of subject matter, but clocks in at fifteen minutes shorter than Be Here Now. "All Around the World" would work fine if two other tracks were removed; but, as it stands, the album as a whole is a difficult listen, even if several individual songs - Don't Go Away and Magic Pie especially - are excellent.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #418
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:37 AM
As "closing" as All Around The World may sound, It's Getting Better (Man!!) serves as a kinda uplifting, celebratory "we're not finished yet!", rock and roll jam and fits in beautifully in my opinion. At 6 minutes, it compliments the bombasticity.

If Be Here Now needs to be refined, it is in the middle (Stand By Me through to Don't Go Away), just something not quite right about it.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #419
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
As "closing" as All Around The World may sound, It's Getting Better (Man!!) serves as a kinda uplifting, celebratory "we're not finished yet!", rock and roll jam and fits in beautifully in my opinion.
That is something I've really missed about the 'new' Oasis. All I want is for them to write one, just one, of those breezy let's throw the kitchen sink at it Britpop type songs that was pretty much all they seemed to write during the BHN era. I know it'd be a backward step for them which is why I wouldn't mind if it were buried as a B-side on the fourth single release. If you imagine the style of Going Nowhere that would be the sort of thing I'd be after.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #420
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Their Wembley Arena concert from a few days ago was broadcasted on MTV. You can find almost all of it on YouTube. The band sounds very solid, especially when Noel is on vocals, but when his little brother opens his mouth, God. The man is so out of tune it hurts.

Tags
dig out your soul, oasis