OASIS - New Album(s) and all General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why do they keep calling it a "new band", isn't it just Oasis minus the good one?

"Almost Oasis" is a much better name than "Beady Eye".

But it's going to be a great train wreck to watch :drool:

Hey, great idea!! They should have called it "Almost Oasis".

Well, Lillywhite will help out -- he's a no-bullshit producer. He won't put up with any ... er, bullshit from Liam.

Oasis to re-issue 'Definitely Maybe' with rare, unreleased tracks for 20th anniversary | News | NME.COM

Oasis's classic 1994 debut album 'Definitely Maybe' will be reissued to mark its 20th anniversary this May.

A remastered version of the Manchester band's LP will be released on May 19 and will include rare and unreleased recordings. The reissue is the first in the new Chasing The Sun series from Big Brother Recordings, with Oasis's follow-up albums 'What's The Story (Morning Glory)?' and 'Be Here Now' to also be re-issued later this year.

The 20th anniversary edition of 'Definitely Maybe' will be available as a standard CD and digital download of the original album, a three-disc Special Edition version including the rare recordings and demos, a 12" vinyl LP featuring all the bonus CD content as a free download, and a Deluxe Box Set which features the LP and the CDs. It has also been revealed that the band will re-issue their single 'Supersonic' as a 12" vinyl to coincide with this year's Record Store Day on April 19.

OASIS_160708_2-090hbw_croprtch600.jpg
Among the bonus content included in the reissue is a disc featuring the band's stand-alone single 'Whatever', unheard acoustic versions of the tracks 'Live Forever' and 'Shakermaker' recorded in Paris, an early demo of 'Half The World Away' recorded in Noel Gallagher's Tokyo hotel room, a demo of the extremely rare song 'Strange Thing' and a live recording of 'Sad Song' show at Manchester Academy.

Limited edition cassette replicas of the band's rare 'Original 1993 Demos', meanwhile, are now available from www.oasisnet.com, including new sleeve notes from 'Definitely Maybe' producer Mark Coyle. Only eight copies of the original demo tapes were made.

For a special report on the 'Definitely Maybe' re-issue and a behind-the-scenes account of the making of the album, pick up the new issue of NME, which is on newsstands from today (February 26) and available digitally

The tracklisting for the three-disc Special Edition re-issue of 'Definitely Maybe' is as follows:

Disc 1

1. 'Rock'n'Roll Star'
2. 'Shakermaker'
3. 'Live Forever'
4. 'Up In The Sky'
5. 'Columbia'
6. 'Supersonic'
7. 'Bring It On Down'
8. 'Cigarettes & Alcohol'
9. 'Digsy's Dinner'
10. 'Slide Away'
11. 'Married With Children'

Disc 2

1. 'Columbia' (White Label Demo)
2. 'Cigarettes & Alcohol' (Demo)
3. 'Sad Song'
4. 'I Will Believe' (Live)
5. 'Take Me Away'
6. 'Alive' (Demo)
7. 'D'Yer Wanna Be A Spaceman?'
8. 'Supersonic' (Live)
9. 'Up In The Sky' (Acoustic)
10. 'Cloudburst'
11. 'Fade Away'
12. 'Listen Up'
13. 'I Am The Walrus' (Live Glasgow Cathouse June 1994)
14. 'Whatever'
15. '(It's Good) To Be Free'
16. 'Half The World Away'

Disc 3

1. 'Supersonic' (Live At Glasgow Tramshed)
2. 'Rock'N'Roll Star' (Demo)
3. 'Shakermaker' (Live Paris in-store)
4. 'Columbia' (Eden Studios Mix)
5. 'Cloudburst' (Demo)
6. 'Strange Thing' (Demo)
7. 'Live Forever' (Live Paris in-store)
8. 'Cigarettes & Alcohol' (Live At Manchester Academy)
9. 'D'Yer Wanna Be A Spaceman?' (Live At Manchester Academy)
10.'Fade Away' (Demo)
11. 'Take Me Away' (Live At Manchester Academy)
12. 'Sad Song' (Live At Manchester Academy)
13. 'Half The World Away' (Live, Tokyo hotel room)
14. 'Digsy's Dinner' (Live, Paris in-store)
15. 'Married With Children' (Demo)
16. 'Up In The Sky' (Live Paris in-store)
17. 'Whatever' (Strings)

The tracklisting for the 'Original 1993 Demos', meanwhile, is as follows:

Side One

'Cloudburst'
'Columbia'
'D'Yer Wanna Be A Spaceman?'
'Strange Thing'

Side Two

'Bring It On Down'
'Married With Children'
'Fade Away'
'Rock'N'Roll Star'

Read more at Oasis to re-issue 'Definitely Maybe' with rare, unreleased tracks for 20th anniversary | News | NME.COM

If they don't crank up the loudness (which they surely will), it actually could use a remaster. All of Oasis's work in the 90s is incredibly muddy sounding. Perhaps a remix is what's in order, instead, but they've certainly never sounded great on a technical level which is a shame. Very little separation.

I want that demos cassette, but the price they're charging is a joke.

How is rewriting history acceptable? hey, maybe champagne supernova is too long, but what the fuck.

All Around the World is the longest song to hit #1 in the Uk at 9 mins

Let it Be...Naked was a good remaster with all the background music taken out - perhaps a few solo's turned down in the background whenever Liam isnt singing might be worth a listen.

DM and WTSMG dont need a remaster as they are pretty much perfect as they are.

How is rewriting history acceptable? hey, maybe champagne supernova is too long, but what the fuck.

i wonder if there's an alternate universe somewhere, an oasis board comparable to this place, where people lose their shit in a manner equivalent to what happened when u2 took the boomchas out of discotheque.

acquiesce is still the only oasis song i like.

Don't Look Back In Anger is an alright song, probably the one I like best of theirs.

But when I see people wanting a rewrite of some nineties album or, heck, I'm sure I've seen uberfans who want U2 to re-record and re-produce October, WTF??

Yeah, I don't understand the desire to tweak and rework the track listing/content of albums for re-release. Some of Morrissey's albums went through that, Maladjusted and Southpaw Grammar. I'm sure most hardcore fans (and I'd say that these are the people who are far more likely to purchase a re-release) are quite content to leave things as they are.

We can play around with the track listing as much as we want these days, but the official tracklisting doesn't need to reimagined.

I think that Rattle and Hum was all over the shop and I think it could have been organised better, but it's done now. No need to officially rewrite history. Let it be

Let it be, indeed.

But I'm not one of those who has much patience for these 'deluxe reissues' just because some arbitrary anniversary was reached. I bought Achtung Baby on CD when the tape wore out, that'll do me.

Be Here Now remastered/remixed is the one i'm most excited about. Great album as it is, but could be made even better with some songs shortened.

I always felt the same way and it turns out that the guy who does that awesome AlbumsThatNeverWere blog has already done so. He took a vinyl rip of the album (not as loud as the CD, thankfully) and seamlessly chopped out eleven minutes or so from the running time, making it about an hour in length.

Oops:

http://uploadmirrors.com/redirect/1KUSJDHJ/9

I guess there's another one that cuts twenty minutes off, heh. Never heard it.

http://rkid003.blogspot.com/2010/12/be-here-now-edited-version.html

Heh, there's also a fan made "remaster" of Morning Glory that's currently available for download and is on YouTube. Album sounds better than it ever has. It'll be interesting to compare it to the official remaster. While that one will benefit from access to the original tapes, it will likely be LOUD as hell. 90s rock always gets fucked over by the Loudness Wars as reissues by Pearl Jam, Nirvana, STP, etc. are just fucking awful and missing a lot of elements since they're cranked to the max...if these Oasis remasters don't do much in terms of the separation AND crank the sound, they'll be some of the worst shit ever to be re-released.

Cheers for those

SOTSOG sounds a bit echoey and tinny to me - that was the Oasis sounds of that era - but that one could be worth a remaster. That album hasnt been mentioned though. Just the first 3 so far.

Live for yer toys, even though they make noise!

I agree. B-Sides from that album were stellar. One Way Road, Cigarettes In Hell and the grungy Full On.

They were absolutely horrendous at choosing which songs to put on their albums.

The Masterplan > all albums that followed

Be Here Now remastered/remixed is the one i'm most excited about. Great album as it is, but could be made even better with some songs shortened.

I do wonder if they'll just give the master tapes to someone and say, "Here, have a go at it." Probably not, but the end result would be very interesting to hear!

They were absolutely horrendous at choosing which songs to put on their albums.

The Masterplan > all albums that followed

Some of the b-sides are pretty ace. No question about that.

I don't know if the Creation-era catalog ever got bought out, so that could be why we're only getting remasters of that material.

Ah, according to the wiki for the band's Big Brother Recordings, Sony BMG took over the Creation-era recordings and the band's deal to buy them back hasn't gone through yet. So Sony is the one re-releasing this material and that could be why the band didn't really have a say in it and were apathetic about this upcoming reissue.

I don't think them being poor at choosing what songs went into the album is the reason why The Masterplan is better than what followed...those b-sides were recorded in the band's prime, and if we're being honest, even the material on Be Here Now (which was clearly a step down from what came before) is leagues better than anything else they would ever write. They just ran out of gas quickly.

Be Here Now needs a remix more than anything. It's always been a very difficult record for me to get into because the production is so overdone; there are some good songs on there but they just aren't allowed to breathe. I probably go back to it the least out of all of their albums, and that's saying something.

Live for yer toys, even though they make noise!

I agree. B-Sides from that album were stellar. One Way Road, Cigarettes In Hell and the grungy Full On.

Full On is one of the best things they've ever done. Why it wasn't on the album in place of I Can See A Liar is beyond me.

This track listing makes SOTSOG one of their best albums:

1. Fuckin' In The Bushes
2. Go Let It Out
3. Who Needs Love
4. Let's All Make Believe
5. Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is
6. Gas Panic!
7. Where Did It All Go Wrong
8. Sunday Morning Call
9. Full On
10. Roll It Over

The only weak track remaining is Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is, but in this context it goes well enough that it warrants inclusion.

That is a super track listing, and I'd agree that Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth is should stay - it is consistent with the sound that Oasis were trying to achieve on the album.

That would be three consecutive Noel-sung tracks from 7-9, which Liam probably would have had some issues with!

Back
Top Bottom