OASIS - New Album(s) and all General Discussion - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2008, 08:35 AM   #346
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Is the rest not as good or something?
HC is a great album. I don't understand why some people dislike it so much either.

As for SOTSOG, well you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. There's only 10 songs on the album and 3 of them really, really aren't finished. Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is basically consists of one verse and then the same two lines repeated over and over again. I Can See A Liar has a brilliant vocal from Liam just lazy lyrics and this weird beeping noise that always reminds me of a minibus reversing. Finally there's Roll It Over which starts off really well but it only has two verses (the second of which could really do with rewriting) yet still the song lasts for SIX AND A HALF MINUTES!

I mean I do like SOTSOG, it just could've been so much better if only they'd tweaked it a little more.

I'm really enjoying Dig Out Your Soul by the way. There's a few songs on it that I just don't 'get' (Get Off Your High Horse Lady is one of them ) but they might grow on me in time.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #347
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:32 PM
I think what keeps HC down a notch from these last two is the end. For me, it runs out of steam after Stop Crying Your Heart Out. And I really dislike Better Man as the final song, although She Is Love isn't too bad.. But yeah, it's definitely not as bad as some critics make it out to be.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #348
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuiet1 View Post
I'm really enjoying Dig Out Your Soul by the way. There's a few songs on it that I just don't 'get' (Get Off Your High Horse Lady is one of them ) but they might grow on me in time.
Get Off Your High Horse Lady is my least favorite song on the new one I think.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #349
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Get Off Your High Horse Lady is my least favorite song on the new one I think.
I quite like High Horse - it is simple but the groove just sticks in my head.

As for SotSoG, the reasons why "Let's All Make Believe" and "Carry Us All" were not included in place of filler like "Little James" will never be adequately explained.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #350
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I think what keeps HC down a notch from these last two is the end. For me, it runs out of steam after Stop Crying Your Heart Out. And I really dislike Better Man as the final song, although She Is Love isn't too bad.. But yeah, it's definitely not as bad as some critics make it out to be.
No love for Born on a Different Cloud?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #351
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:32 AM
i think i'm the only person here that could not stand DBTT.

this new album is great though!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #352
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:32 PM
Oh man, I need to get this album ASAP. I'm ordering my new iPod on the weekend. I might treat myself to it as the first new music to go on it.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:39 AM   #353
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:32 PM
My faves so far are :

Bag it up
Falling down
Im outta time

Falling down is lyrically awesome imo
Old 10-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #354
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
No love for Born on a Different Cloud?
Not really. Never cared for it.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #355
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:32 PM
Could Shock of the Lightning be their best straight up rocker since Morning Glory?
Old 10-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #356
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
As for SotSoG, the reasons why "Let's All Make Believe" and "Carry Us All" were not included in place of filler like "Little James" will never be adequately explained.
Apparently Noel didn't want to hurt Liam's feelings/confidence by telling him that Little James was crap. Yep, hard to believe isn't it? I'm guessing they also felt the album needed some rockier songs on it which how dross like PYMWYMI ended up there. Even so with only 10 songs there I think they could've managed to squeeze at least one of those B-sides on there (if not both of them).

Quote:
i think i'm the only person here that could not stand DBTT.
I didn't like it either.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #357
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuiet1 View Post
Apparently Noel didn't want to hurt Liam's feelings/confidence by telling him that Little James was crap. Yep, hard to believe isn't it? I'm guessing they also felt the album needed some rockier songs on it which how dross like PYMWYMI ended up there. Even so with only 10 songs there I think they could've managed to squeeze at least one of those B-sides on there (if not both of them).

It's a remarkable thing, the useless "Little James" and the out-of-place "I Can See A Liar" really detract from how great the album could have been.

Swap these two songs for Cigarettes in Hell, One Way Road and Let's All Make Believe, and you've got an album that channels a completely new psyachedelic sound for Oasis. It could've and should've been an amazingly cohesive and vision-capturing album, and might have changed a lot of critics rigid opinion of Oasis.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:11 AM   #358
Blue Crack Addict

My ideal SOTSOG tracklisting:

Fuckin' In The Bushes
Go Let It Out
Who Feels Love?
Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is
Full On
I Can See A Liar
Gas Panic
Where Did It All Go Wrong?
Sunday Morning Call
Let's All Make Believe
Roll It Over

11 killer tunes.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:18 AM   #359
The Male

I'll grade the albums after giving Heathen Chemistry a listen. Honestly, I've never bothered with it, and the few tracks I have heard haven't been all that great. The Hindu Times is pretty good, but everything else just seems like the bland, sludgy brand of rock they churned out with Be Here Now, and that's certainly not a compliment.

Rest assured, I think the first two are miles above everything else they've done, as much as I've enjoyed DBTT and DOYS.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:11 AM   #360
War Child

Its a real shame that I Wanna Live A Dream (In My Record Machine) didn't find a place on DOYS as its one of the best things Noel's written in recent years, its definitely a favourite of mine and certainly more worthy of a place on the album than some of the other songs.

Looking back on the bands output I think that SOTSOG is my least favourite offering. It just seems to lack the energy and spirit which makes the band so exciting. Other than Gas Panic and Where Did It All Go Wrong (I once saw Noel do a brilliant acoustic version of that song) I really can take it or leave it.

The band seemed to take over the UK in the mid-nineties. I remember the whole Oasis v Blur rivalry and the race to number one with either Country House or Roll With It making the evening news, now you don't see that happen very often.

Despite its problems, I prefer Be Here Now. The hype around it in 97 was just insane, there was no way it could have lived up to expectations. There's been big releases in the years since, but none have matched that scale of anticipation. Radiohead and Coldplay are very popular and have both put out eagerly awaited records, but the excitment which surrounded the release of BHN that summer was something else altogether, it was almost tangible. In hindsight I suppose a backlash was inevitable, but tracks like My Big Mouth, Don't Go Away and especially Fade In-Out are killers, I love them and still listen to them reguarly.

HC has its moments too, Stop Crying You Heart Out, Songbird, Hung In A Bad Place, Born On A Different Cloud are all great and Better Man is full of aggression and attitude despite its optimistic message, definitely the best closer since Champagne Supernova IMO.

Tags
dig out your soul, oasis