OASIS Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those that have never heard the B-sides, Oasis released a B-side compilation a few years ago, titled "The Masterplan." You can find a downloadable version online (I don't have a link, sorry).

New Oasis songs leak online

I've just had a listen to the three songs on youtube.

I don't want to be harsh but (and I say this as someone who is a fan of Liam's songwriting and singing) 'Nothin' On Me' is absolute crap and frankly if that's the best 'singing' Liam can do these days then perhaps it really is time he left the band.

'Stop The Clocks' I found to be OK, and as it's just a demo will probably sound a heck of a lot better after it has been polished up for the album.

I really loved 'I Wanna Live A Dream (In My Record Machine)'. If any of the other songs on the new album are in the style of this one then I'll be happy.

TheQuiet1 said:

I don't want to be harsh but (and I say this as someone who is a fan of Liam's songwriting and singing) 'Nothin' On Me' is absolute crap and frankly if that's the best 'singing' Liam can do these days then perhaps it really is time he left the band.

'Stop The Clocks' I found to be OK, and as it's just a demo will probably sound a heck of a lot better after it has been polished up for the album.

I really loved 'I Wanna Live A Dream (In My Record Machine)'. If any of the other songs on the new album are in the style of this one then I'll be happy.

I thought they were all crap are really uninspiring. If they got back into form in 2005 they are defo back out of it now.

I cant believe Noel and zak have had a bust up, Zak was Oasis's best asset imo.

by the time I checked your link GirlsAloudFan, there was only one song available to listen to. Didn't care for it on first listen. Went to YouTube and am listening to "I Wanna Live A Dream (In My Record Machine)" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJjD29c33rY

I like this one. Gonna check for Stop The Clocks momentarily....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uidygBUsVI&feature=related

ETA: There's a bunch of rapid share links posted on the last You Tube link. Looks like some demos too, though I don't have a premium account, so it will take forever to get the trax...

Last edited:
Noel was on Russel Brand's radio show a couple of days ago and he said that the new album will definitely be out in September

the tourist said:

I've been saying that for years and years. Basically, their third album would have been a lot of what ended up on The Masterplan.

I agree. Acquiesce, The Masterplan, Listen Up, Rockin' Chair..that should have been the backbone of the third album. I would have included D'you Know What I Mean? Stay Young, and Stand By Me too. Whatever should have been held back for this album as well.

TheQuiet1 said:

Stop The Clocks could sound amazing if it's given a big studio treatment (they're supposed to be going for epic songs, orchestras etc) as it's a bit bare-bones on this demo. Record Machine is brilliant IMO, Noel has said in the past it has three solos and is 10 minutes long, so there is a lot to come from this one.

LAZARUS
That is NOT a fact, you're insane. Maybe a philistine would think Oasis sounds better, but I don't believe that for a second. The reason The Beatles have survived this long, and why they continue to be so popular, is not solely because of their influence. It's because people still listen to it for the first time and think it sounds fresh and exciting.

Just because you and the people you associate with don't find it as "exciting and exhilirating" says more about the listeners involved than the artist.

Unbelievable.

You're the one being unbelievable Laz. You keep reviving that well-worn and implausible idea that a song has to be 100% unlike anything else written before for it to be considered worthy of critical acclaim. Anything inspired by it lacks authenticity and cannot be good on any level.

I'm a hardcore Beatles fan myself, I'm hardly attacking them. I probably even prefer them overall to Oasis, but it's too simplistic for some of you to say that just because Oasis are heavily influenced by their favourite rock and roll stars, it means that they're songs aren't as exciting and exhilarating than what their idols wrote.

The Beatles are a greater band in terms of what they achieved overall, but it doesn't mean that all their songs are better than all of Oasis' songs.

It's an idea that ignores a key element of that makes a song great. The enjoyability factor.

Maybe a philistine might think Oasis sounds better than The Beatles, but at least they haven't had their objectivity destroyed, when thinking about the quality of an individual song.

They let their ears do the hearing, rather than their critcal prejudices.

Well, intedomine, upon realizing that lazarus hadn't even posted in this thread, I did some digging to see where exactly you pulled that quote from...and I discovered that you pulled it from a locked thread.

Unbelievable.

First off...carrying a quote of someone's from one thread on to another is unncessary and confusing. Secondly, pulling that quote from a closed thread and trying to continue discussion is an attempt to override a moderator's action of closing a thread, which is not appropriate.

This is a fine Oasis thread, and I don't want to close it, so I am going to ask that the reply you quoted and your reply be overlooked and ask people to just continue as before. If you wish to continue your debate with lazarus, I suggest you do so off the board.

Last edited:
I have read somewhere that Noel has poached Robbie Williams drummer.

Well, intedomine, upon realizing that lazarus hadn't even posted in this thread, I did some digging to see where exactly you pulled that quote from...and I discovered that you pulled it from a locked thread.

Unbelievable.

First off...carrying a quote of someone's from one thread on to another is unncessary and confusing. Secondly, pulling that quote from a closed thread and trying to continue discussion is an attempt to override a moderator's action of closing a thread, which is not appropriate.

This is a fine Oasis thread, and I don't want to close it, so I am going to ask that the reply you quoted and your reply be overlooked and ask people to just continue as before. If you wish to continue your debate with lazarus, I suggest you do so off the board.

But that discussion needed to be resolved. It was perfectly valid and on-topic here, and much less so in the thread it originated from. Though it may have been from a locked thread, there's nothing inherently wrong with the discussion itself at all, so I don't get what the big deal is. :shrug: It's music discussion; where else should they take these things ?

You don't pull discussion from a closed thread and bring it back to life in another thread...especially when parts of that discussion seem to be picking a fight and being insulting towards others. That's all there is to it.

I don't want to debate it any further in this thread, I want this to just remain the Oasis thread that it was. Anybody can feel free to contact me in private about this.

Last edited:
But that discussion needed to be resolved. It was perfectly valid and on-topic here, and much less so in the thread it originated from. Though it may have been from a locked thread, there's nothing inherently wrong with the discussion itself at all, so I don't get what the big deal is. :shrug: It's music discussion; where else should they take these things ?

Knowing those two, though, I seriously doubt it would have been resolved any time soon.

duty_calls.png

I'm probably in the minority here but I actually think Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants is one of my favorite albums of theirs.

Fuckin' In The Bushes, Go Let It Out!, Who Feels Love? and Gas Panic are all wicked songs imo...

Yes, those four songs rock...but they're the only good ones on there. It is probably my least favorite of theirs.

I'd go:

1. Definitely Maybe (easily the tops)
2. What's the Story
3. Be Here Now
4. Heathen Chemistry
5. Don't Believe the Truth
6. Standing on the Shoulders

And then throw the Masterplan in there maybe behind DM and What's the Story...but it doesn't exactly count as a studio album.

I'm probably in the minority here but I actually think Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants is one of my favorite albums of theirs.

Fuckin' In The Bushes, Go Let It Out!, Who Feels Love? and Gas Panic are all wicked songs imo...

Sunday Morning Call is beautiful! But anyway I only have a bunch of songs from both Heathen and Standing. I don't have the actual albums.

I still haven't bothered with Heathen Chemistry, so...

1. Definitely Maybe (9.5/10)
2. (What's The Story?) Morning Glory (8.5/10)
3. Don't Believe The Truth (8/10)
4. Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants (6.5/10)
5. Be Here Now (6/10)

Standing On The Shoulders of Giants is amazing, it probably would have been even better with the inclusion of b-sides Let's All Make Believe and Cigarettes In Hell instead of Little James and I Can See a Liar.

Carry Us All is an amazing tune as well, but probably sounds too much like Where Did It All Go Wrong for inclusion on the album.

Heathen Chemistry is a little dodgy in some areas (Quick Peep, Better Man), but She Is Love is sweet as, while Force Of Nature reinvents the swagger Oasis had become famous for. Oasis' flirtation with a more country-tinged sound on this album was welcome, yet underexplored.

I've never heard Standing On The Shoulders of Giants, so my picks would be:

1. Heathen Chemistry
2. (What's The Story?) Morning Glory
3. Don't Believe The Truth
4. Definitely Maybe
5. Be Here Now

I know I'm in minority on this, but I do find Heathen Chemistry their most enjoyable album, and IMO Definitely Maybe is insanely overrated.

I know I'm in minority on this, but I do find Heathen Chemistry their most enjoyable album.

Well, I'll join you in that minority because, although I'm not sure if I'd say it was my favourite album, I do think it is vastly, vastly, vastly underrated.

As far as SOTSOG goes, I wouldn't say it has any 'meh' songs on it. They all either seem to be brilliant or unbelievably crap (I mean, Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is...is it really forgivable to have that pile of unfinished, lazy, half-baked dross on the album when you look at the b-sides that were put on the singles?).

Back
Top Bottom