NME: Oasis - "Live Forever" is THE indie anthem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I could be mistaken, but was not Definitely Maybe released on Columbia?

Edit: Oh, it was Sony. That's not much better in terms of indie credibility.

You're probably not going to find many people my age who didn't like Oasis very briefly, and now hate them with a passion. Is what it is. Radio / MTV overplayed them, which for songs as annoying as Wonderwall, etc., really didn't do them any favors. Also, we were forced to watch their ridiculous behavior at the height of their "we're the biggest douchebags on the planet, and for some reason the media doesn't want to stop showing it" stage. I suppose that is a positive of MTV having nothing to do with music any more. If artists really are complete asses, you don't have nearly as much exposure to it.

Well, yeah, that sucks that they were totally overexposed. I was a bit too young to have a strong memory of that. I was 10 when "Wonderwall" was huge on the radio over here, and I remember people liking it, but I wasn't too into MTV and stuff like that yet.

That's also too bad that you can't separate the perceived "douchiness" of an artist from their good tunes, and get enjoyment out of them. I guess that's just a personal thing, and each of us is able to do that with certain artists for whatever reason. I still get a kick out of hearing "Through The Wire" even though that dude is the worst of the worst, and an all-time douchebag. Because it's a damn good song.

Anyway. Forgive me for getting very cliche here, but I honestly think it's true:

Some kid in England is going to hear Definitely Maybe for the first time tomorrow, and is going to be like "Fuck! This is it!" and he'll start a band.

You might not like that, but the music this band made at the time was powerful, and I think the songs hold up.

Everything after the second album...maybe not so much. But those first two albums. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Swag.

In Oasis' defense (something I'll never do again), Definitely Maybe was released on Creation Records in the UK.

Okay, that makes more sense. I have always loved Live Forever, and, I might add, Oasis as a whole. I even got excited for Noel's solo album this year. The band is wrapped up in a lot of formative memories for me.

Live Forever is a terrific song from a great record.

It just made me laugh that the most well-known song from an album that sold 678544568654 million copies is the best indie song ever, just because it's Oasis. Gotta love NME.

cobl04 said:
I thought this title was always reserved for There is a Light...

That's what I guessed too when I saw the link. At least it cracked the top 5.

I didn't read the whole list because why the fuck would anyone, but Wake Up better be on there somewhere.

cobl04 said:
I thought this title was always reserved for There is a Light...

Either Q or Mojo ran a similar poll a few years ago in which "This Charming Man" came out on top. I thought that was a justifiable choice given that song's ostensible influence.

I still do rather love Live Forever and Wonderwall. Among others, but those two are my favorite Oasis songs. I still enjoy both of those first two albums.

Where's madforit?!!! :panic:

Knife_crime_logo_by_jameslockdesign.jpg

Live Forever is indeed a great effing tune, indie or not. My absolute favourite Oasis song and one of my all-time favourites in general. Anthem absolutely best describes it. It's the one song, if none other, that makes me nostalgic for the good ol' days of early Oasis and my adolescence. Le sigh. :heart:

Is what I would have said in 1994.
Nah, it stands the test of time.

sumfin u ken get reel fookin rowdy 2 m8
You're giving me bad memories of the days when I moderated an Oasis forum. :) :shudder:

Back
Top Bottom