Nirvana - Were They Really That Special?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know... PJ in early days, maybe. Smashing Pumpkins is a part of the alternative rock scene that emerged after grunge's sucess. Their sound is infuenced by it, but it's far from being grunge itself. IMO.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't consider SP hardcore grunge, so to speak, in that they were part of the "fathers" of the genre. They were more the descendants of it, so to speak, definitely influenced in themes and sound, but also setting themselves apart.

I'd also stop my kids listening to hip hop

a selection of pop and rock would be allowed

I grew up on The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Queen & George Michael - then i was a fan of Take That back in the day. I remember Snow (Informer) lol that guy was funny

Then i discovered the band that would have the biggest impact on my life when i was 9 years old.

What?

What he's saying is like saying (three progressive rock bands) are better than Pink Floyd, even though Pink Floyd is supposed to be the end all, be all of progressive rock, as a way to illustrate how much he thinks Pink Floyd is overrated.

In the same way, Nirvana were supposed to be the end all, be all of grunge.

I wasn't just referring to what he said, read my post before that :up:

Alas, my continuation of that argument was a little laboured and pedantic and didn't particularly mean anything. As most of my conversations with Mike generally are!

And I wouldn't stop my kids listening to any music, or make them listen to any music. Don't really care what sort of music they like as long as they like it :shrug: ... and as long as it's not Katy frigging Perry.

And that Oasis album is just noise!

I'd also stop my kids listening to hip hop

I grew up on The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Queen & George Michael - then i was a fan of Take That back in the day. I remember Snow (Informer) lol that guy was funny

Then i discovered the band that would have the biggest impact on my life when i was 9 years old.

Kids rebel against limits, good sir. As ridiculous as it is that you'd even consider blocking out music from your children, it's even more ridiculous that you think it's a possible solution.

I like Eddie Vedders soundtrack for Dead Man Walking

the stuff he did with Nusrut Ali Khan is top stuff

as an off-note, theres a lot of evidence Kurt Kobain didn't kill himself...but not getting into that here :D

He did make a lot of bad choices still though, such as drug use, which may have led to his possible-suicide..

Sorry if there was a Nirvana thread but i searched and could not find it

I have listened to Nirvana a bit recently. I thought i'd give them another go

Here are my thoughts

1) They have never appealed to me as i feel uncomfortable listening to the music of a guy who killed himself, as i think thats a terrible thing to do. I guess it has clouded how i see their music. If i was old enough to like them at the time perhaps i would have felt differently. I find their music so dark and depressing. It just makes me feel odd. The whole Cobain death thing i cannot disassociate from the tunes.

2) I dont like how the death of Cobain has been glorified as it if is was a great act. This maybe from personal experience but when i was at school kids as young as 11 wore Nirvana hooded tops. To me i thought why? You probably dont even know another song past Smells Like Teen Spirit. It was always the emo/goth/middle class kids trying to act rebellious wearing these tops. When i spoke to them they always seemed so depressed. And listening to this band would not have helped. I dont like how someone who completely lost control of their life is revered so well

3)I have never liked grunge. I can only digest about 5 Smashing Pumpkins tunes and i need to give Pearl Jam another go, but once again from what i have heard i find it dull. Perhaps its an American thing? Just like some American dont get British bands i dont get these bands at all. I like my music to be more uplifting and jolly!

4) Being the cynic that i am i feel as though if Cobain was still alive, Nirvana would not have such a big legacy.

5) Now concentrating on the tunes, i am not very impressed. I find their music to dark (those bass lines freak me out). I can only digest these songs, About A Girl, In Bloom and sometimes Heart Shaped Box (just as it sounds ok, when i concentrate on the lyrics it puts me off, and the video is weird) Lithium sounds ok to but once again the lyrics are to dark. But as a general rock tune, its not bad.

If i had kids, i'd ban them from Nirvana

6) I dont get Cobain's sense of humour
This is dreadful

YouTube - Nirvana-I hate Myself and Want To Die Lyrics

Now its you turn to speak (I expect a backlash)

given your reasons, why do you really bother listening to them in the first place? :wink:

they were probably a pretty special band to many people .. I liked them alot

:shrug:

Nirvana is overrated. Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden are more interesting. That said, Nirvana's a pretty good band, better than all of the grunge version 2.0 scene (Bush, Foo Fighters, Creed, Nickelback, etc.). However, they were hailed the face of grunge.... I guess I just liked whatever Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden were the face of better.

Nirvana is overrated. Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden are more interesting. That said, Nirvana's a pretty good band, better than all of the grunge version 2.0 scene (Bush, Foo Fighters, Creed, Nickelback, etc.). However, they were hailed the face of grunge.... I guess I just liked whatever Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden were the face of better.

Can we please not lump the Foo Fighters in with Creed and Nickleback? Creed and Nickleback aren't worthy to crawl on the ground they walk on. Hell, Creed and Nickleback aren't worthy to crawl on the ground the Goo Goo Dolls walk on.:lol: (I am a fan of the Goo Goo Dolls, but I'll admit they're nothing ground-breaking. I just love 'em.)

Can we please not lump the Foo Fighters in with Creed and Nickleback? Creed and Nickleback aren't worthy to crawl on the ground they walk on. Hell, Creed and Nickleback aren't worthy to crawl on the ground the Goo Goo Dolls walk on.:lol: (I am a fan of the Goo Goo Dolls, but I'll admit they're nothing ground-breaking. I just love 'em.)

They're all from the grunge 2.0 movement, though.... :shrug: That and I can't stand Foo Fighters simply because every song of theirs sounds like a replica of the same average song that propelled them into fame in the first place.

They're all from the grunge 2.0 movement, though.... :shrug: That and I can't stand Foo Fighters simply because every song of theirs sounds like a replica of the same average song that propelled them into fame in the first place.

They definitely came out of the grunge movement. Dave Grohl was in the most well-known grunge band ever.:lol: I just think they're a lot better than the lot you mentioned. No big deal, though. We all have different tastes.:)

i really don't like nirvana's music. i never got the big deal the other kids were going on about. i couldn't and still can't relate to any of their songs in any way remotely. they're a far cry from being "great". bands like pearl jam, mud honey, soundgarden, alice in chains and STP were more worth the listening time.

Funny Nirvana story----

Once upon a time I won tickets from a local collage music station to see Nirvana at a small local music venue, I was pretty happy because I really liked this "new" band and really wanted to go see them....

However...my boyfriend (Now my husband) thought that they we 'just some heavy metal band' and did not want to go to the show. SO WE DIDN'T. At the time he was into Janes Addiction and NIN. So I'm like WTF? Flash forward....boyfriend realizes the greatness of Nirvana....and I'm like WHY didn't we go to that small show?

I'm surprised we're still married sometimes.......:|

Yeah, good luck with that. Kids just love restrictions and bannings.

I think Nirvana are generally overrated, but a better band than they get credit for on this site in particular.

I remember when "Smells Like Teen Spirit" came out. I was a freshman in college, being a DJ at our teeny-weeny 10-watt college radio station, and we played "Smells Like Teen Spirit" over and over, and it was pretty much just the best thing ever.

(Then I got obsessed with My Bloody Valentine's "Only Shallow" and rebelled against our music director's "no U2 post-War" edict, but those are other stories no one cares about.)

Laugh it up, fuzzball.

110.jpg

I think Kurt Cobain was a charismatic and talented individual and I think Nirvana had a few unarguably brilliant songs. I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit for the first time a few good years after it first exploded, and it was just electrifying. But overall I get bored to tears with Nirvana if I try to listen to them for more than five or six songs. Which goes for grunge in general, really.

Yeah, good luck with that. Kids just love restrictions and bannings.

I think Nirvana are generally overrated, but a better band than they get credit for on this site in particular.

I remember when "Smells Like Teen Spirit" came out. I was a freshman in college, being a DJ at our teeny-weeny 10-watt college radio station, and we played "Smells Like Teen Spirit" over and over, and it was pretty much just the best thing ever.

(Then I got obsessed with My Bloody Valentine's "Only Shallow" and rebelled against our music director's "no U2 post-War" edict, but those are other stories no one cares about.)

You got to give the kids boundaries and rules to abide by

Otherwise they will turn to knife crime

^Who's gonna quote that and put on the sig. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom