Nirvana - Were They Really That Special? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:MrMacPhisto:. View Post

I don't know... PJ in early days, maybe. Smashing Pumpkins is a part of the alternative rock scene that emerged after grunge's sucess. Their sound is infuenced by it, but it's far from being grunge itself. IMO.
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't consider SP hardcore grunge, so to speak, in that they were part of the "fathers" of the genre. They were more the descendants of it, so to speak, definitely influenced in themes and sound, but also setting themselves apart.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #62
Refugee

Local Time: 11:14 AM
I'd also stop my kids listening to hip hop

a selection of pop and rock would be allowed

I grew up on The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Queen & George Michael - then i was a fan of Take That back in the day. I remember Snow (Informer) lol that guy was funny

Then i discovered the band that would have the biggest impact on my life when i was 9 years old.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #63
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
What?

What he's saying is like saying (three progressive rock bands) are better than Pink Floyd, even though Pink Floyd is supposed to be the end all, be all of progressive rock, as a way to illustrate how much he thinks Pink Floyd is overrated.

In the same way, Nirvana were supposed to be the end all, be all of grunge.
I wasn't just referring to what he said, read my post before that

Alas, my continuation of that argument was a little laboured and pedantic and didn't particularly mean anything. As most of my conversations with Mike generally are!
Old 01-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #64
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:14 PM
And I wouldn't stop my kids listening to any music, or make them listen to any music. Don't really care what sort of music they like as long as they like it ... and as long as it's not Katy frigging Perry.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #65
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:14 PM
And that Oasis album is just noise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForIt View Post
I'd also stop my kids listening to hip hop

a selection of pop and rock would be allowed

I grew up on The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Queen & George Michael - then i was a fan of Take That back in the day. I remember Snow (Informer) lol that guy was funny

Then i discovered the band that would have the biggest impact on my life when i was 9 years old.
Kids rebel against limits, good sir. As ridiculous as it is that you'd even consider blocking out music from your children, it's even more ridiculous that you think it's a possible solution.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #66
Refugee

Local Time: 11:14 AM
I like Eddie Vedders soundtrack for Dead Man Walking

the stuff he did with Nusrut Ali Khan is top stuff
Old 01-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I like Eddie Vedders soundtrack for Dead Man Walking

the stuff he did with Nusrut Ali Khan is top stuff
Do you mean Into The Wild? He did the whole soundtrack for it. He only did two songs for Dead Man Walking.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #68
Refugee

as an off-note, theres a lot of evidence Kurt Kobain didn't kill himself...but not getting into that here

He did make a lot of bad choices still though, such as drug use, which may have led to his possible-suicide..
Old 01-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
He only did one song for Dead Man Walking.
Two songs, actually.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Two songs, actually.
I corrected. I actually had to look it up to be sure. I knew ITW was solely Eddie, but I didn't think he had done the whole thing for DMW. I love both of those movies.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #71
Refugee

Local Time: 09:14 AM
Quote:
Sorry if there was a Nirvana thread but i searched and could not find it

I have listened to Nirvana a bit recently. I thought i'd give them another go

Here are my thoughts

1) They have never appealed to me as i feel uncomfortable listening to the music of a guy who killed himself, as i think thats a terrible thing to do. I guess it has clouded how i see their music. If i was old enough to like them at the time perhaps i would have felt differently. I find their music so dark and depressing. It just makes me feel odd. The whole Cobain death thing i cannot disassociate from the tunes.

2) I dont like how the death of Cobain has been glorified as it if is was a great act. This maybe from personal experience but when i was at school kids as young as 11 wore Nirvana hooded tops. To me i thought why? You probably dont even know another song past Smells Like Teen Spirit. It was always the emo/goth/middle class kids trying to act rebellious wearing these tops. When i spoke to them they always seemed so depressed. And listening to this band would not have helped. I dont like how someone who completely lost control of their life is revered so well

3)I have never liked grunge. I can only digest about 5 Smashing Pumpkins tunes and i need to give Pearl Jam another go, but once again from what i have heard i find it dull. Perhaps its an American thing? Just like some American dont get British bands i dont get these bands at all. I like my music to be more uplifting and jolly!

4) Being the cynic that i am i feel as though if Cobain was still alive, Nirvana would not have such a big legacy.

5) Now concentrating on the tunes, i am not very impressed. I find their music to dark (those bass lines freak me out). I can only digest these songs, About A Girl, In Bloom and sometimes Heart Shaped Box (just as it sounds ok, when i concentrate on the lyrics it puts me off, and the video is weird) Lithium sounds ok to but once again the lyrics are to dark. But as a general rock tune, its not bad.

If i had kids, i'd ban them from Nirvana

6) I dont get Cobain's sense of humour
This is dreadful

YouTube - Nirvana-I hate Myself and Want To Die Lyrics

Now its you turn to speak (I expect a backlash)
given your reasons, why do you really bother listening to them in the first place?

they were probably a pretty special band to many people .. I liked them alot

Old 01-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
as an off-note, theres a lot of evidence Kurt Kobain didn't kill himself...but not getting into that here

He did make a lot of bad choices still though, such as drug use, which may have led to his possible-suicide..
We all know Courtney is a crazy bitch.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #73
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post

Kurt Cobain Was Murdered
Old 01-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:14 PM
Nirvana is overrated. Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden are more interesting. That said, Nirvana's a pretty good band, better than all of the grunge version 2.0 scene (Bush, Foo Fighters, Creed, Nickelback, etc.). However, they were hailed the face of grunge.... I guess I just liked whatever Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden were the face of better.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Nirvana is overrated. Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden are more interesting. That said, Nirvana's a pretty good band, better than all of the grunge version 2.0 scene (Bush, Foo Fighters, Creed, Nickelback, etc.). However, they were hailed the face of grunge.... I guess I just liked whatever Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden were the face of better.
Can we please not lump the Foo Fighters in with Creed and Nickleback? Creed and Nickleback aren't worthy to crawl on the ground they walk on. Hell, Creed and Nickleback aren't worthy to crawl on the ground the Goo Goo Dolls walk on. (I am a fan of the Goo Goo Dolls, but I'll admit they're nothing ground-breaking. I just love 'em.)

Tags
kurt cobain, nirvana