Nirvana - Were They Really That Special? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 06:12 AM
big nirvana fan when they first came out. i was 16 when nevermind came out, and was very influential to me at the time. even then, when i loved that album, i still didn't get all the greatest band stuff. i was a huge pixies, and melvins fan, and in that light nirvana was doing nothing unique (kurt used to say that and credit the melvins alot). they just almost stumbled into being the poster child for the change in music. i do like all their albums, and still like them. i never understood the kobain as a poet though. i thought most of their lyrics were mediocre at best.

they were definetly right place, right time thing.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:43 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Ok, I have to go with a big WTF here...

I'll give you Nickelback maybe, but Hootie and Matchbox 20 seriously? I think you just made Kurt roll over in his grave...

Plus, Live and Green Day started before Nirvana came on the scene.

You may want to rethink this one.

I don't mean the music itself, I mean Nirvana opened up the commercial potential for these bands....the ultimate commercial success of these bands is arguably due to how Nirvana's grunge conditioned maintream audiences for post-grunge and no-frills rock.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #48
War Child

Local Time: 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
I don't think there's any "for better" about that.
I agree with you except about the Foo Fighters. They're actually talented.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #49
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
Quality band of undeniable importance. I reckon they defined what "rock" was gonna sound like in the 90's and for at least until 2003, yet Nirvana's legend is probably unfairly greater than Pearl Jam's (because of Cobain), even if their music isn't necessarily as good as Pearl Jam's.
Back then, I liked Pearl Jam far more than Nirvana. For the past...oh, probably 8 or 10 years, I'd say the reverse is true for me. I think at the time, the hype surrounding the band and their music turned me off, but since then I've been able to let that go, and just enjoy it for what it is.

Those of you who are saying they were the right band in the right era are bang on. I think the reason they were credited with the whole "changing music" thing as opposed to other bands of that era/genre are that they are the ones who succeeded (albeit very reluctantly, if reports are to believed) in bringing that sound to the mainstream more so than other bands of that ilk. Further, I believe the reason the were able to do this is because of their marriage of garage/grunge sounds with poppy hooks and melodies that set them apart from their peers.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee View Post
Kids should grow up with music -all kinds of music.

Music all day long, every day, from every room in the house.

That's pretty much how I grew up. Opera, classical, country, religious, rock, pop, soul ... it was all happening at our house. My Dad could go from Chopin to Buck Owens without blinking an eye.

I always liked Nirvana.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #51
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
I agree with you except about the Foo Fighters. They're actually talented.
I literally can't stomach the Foo Fighters It's not just that I intensely dislike Dave Grohl, but I find their music a bit... boring really.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

I love Nirvana. Are there some bands out there in the grunge genre that might be technically "better"? Sure, I would definitely say Pearl Jam fits that category, and to a lesser degree the Smashing Pumpkins. Those would probably be the only 2 bands of that particular era and grunge movement that I really love other than Nirvana. However, there's something about Nirvana, some sort of magic that puts them head and shoulders above the others in their genre, in my book. They had a chemistry and a rawness about them that you either identify with or you don't. This is do in large part, to Kurt Cobain. Sure, a lot of their mystique and legend is due to Kurt's tragically ended life. That's no different than that of Jim Morrison and The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, and Janis Joplin, for example, (even odder when you consider Cobain, Morrison, Hendrix and Joplin all died at 27). We wonder all the greatness that was to come, so we cling even more to what we have. Nirvana, as many others have said in this thread were the ones that brought this underground genre to the mainstream without losing their integrity in the process. They didn't sell out or become record company puppets. That's why I think they may be labeled as "overrated" by some who only look at technical skill. And on a side note, I also think the Foo Fighters are one of the best rock bands around right now, and I'm thrilled that Dave was able to bring his songwriting, singing, and other musical talents to the forefront considering the terrible way Nirvana ended. It was really a risk, and it paid off big time.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #53
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:12 AM
I get sick hearing that Pumpkins and PJ are considered grunge....
Old 01-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #54
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
... so you like a band better than another, and the other band is immediately overrated?
I like U2 more than any other band. Ergo every other band is overrated.

BY YOUR LOGIC.
I think it's safe to say that you're completely missing my point. So, I'll move on because these "discussions" lead nowhere fast.

Yes, Scumbo, Reagan and I will always be linked, due to my incredibly strong ties to the Republican party. If "incredibly strong ties" means "utter disdain for".

Oh, and the Foo Fighters could be the most boring successful band on Earth. Their popularity eludes me.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #55
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:MrMacPhisto:. View Post
I get sick hearing that Pumpkins and PJ are considered grunge....
I've never really heard the Pumpkins seriously considered a grunge band.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Pearl Jam, at least in their early days were definitely grunge. I don't even know if we can say "grunge" really exists as a genre anymore. I can see where some would argue against Smashing Pumpkins being in said genre, but they're still considered a part of it, and I would put them there for the miniscule amount my opinion is worth.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post

That's pretty much how I grew up. Opera, classical, country, religious, rock, pop, soul ... it was all happening at our house. My Dad could go from Chopin to Buck Owens without blinking an eye.

I always liked Nirvana.
I totally agree. My happiest childhood memories all consist of listening to music with my parents whether it be dancing around our living room to Motown like we did when I was little, or singing along to "American Pie", "Make Me Smile" by Chicago, "Pretty Woman", etc. on road trips. Admittedly, my mom and dad don't have the broad taste in music of your parents (or me), they mostly like Motown, and 70s and 80s pop, but all of it still takes me back. I'm going to have music playing all over my future home for my future children, and it's going to be everything I listen to.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
... so you like a band better than another, and the other band is immediately overrated?
I like U2 more than any other band. Ergo every other band is overrated.

BY YOUR LOGIC.
What?

What he's saying is like saying (three progressive rock bands) are better than Pink Floyd, even though Pink Floyd is supposed to be the end all, be all of progressive rock, as a way to illustrate how much he thinks Pink Floyd is overrated.

In the same way, Nirvana were supposed to be the end all, be all of grunge.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #59
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I've never really heard the Pumpkins seriously considered a grunge band.
Well, I don't know... I hear that sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
Pearl Jam, at least in their early days were definitely grunge. I don't even know if we can say "grunge" really exists as a genre anymore. I can see where some would argue against Smashing Pumpkins being in said genre, but they're still considered a part of it, and I would put them there for the miniscule amount my opinion is worth.
I don't know... PJ in early days, maybe. Smashing Pumpkins is a part of the alternative rock scene that emerged after grunge's sucess. Their sound is infuenced by it, but it's far from being grunge itself. IMO.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #60
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:12 PM
To be honest I can't see how Smashing Pumpkins aren't grunge... but that's because I'm a music genre idiot and would lump them with Nirvana and early Pearl Jam because they sort of sound the same. I take it they don't?

Tags
kurt cobain, nirvana