Nirvana In Utero turns 20 - rare footage of 1993 tour rehearsals!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMirrorSky

War Child
Nirvana's 'In Utero' has turned 20 years old.

A friend had posted this on facebook. This is great! The following link has rehearsals of 'Very Ape' and 'Radio Friendly Unit Shifter' before their 1993 tour in Seattle.

Must-see morning clip: Watch never-before-seen footage of Nirvana - Salon.com

That performance of Radio Friendly Unit Shifter kicks so much ass!! Dave Grohl! :bow:

And here's a glowing review for the new 20th Anniversary Edition:

Nirvana: In Utero: 20th Anniversary Edition | Album Reviews | Pitchfork

:nostalgia:

Great album. Radio Friendly Unit Shifter is their best live opener. Bleach is still my favourite though.

My favorite Nirvana album by far. Love that LOST used one of the tracks for when Jack started losing his mind too.

In Utero is serving my servants!

I just picked up the Box Set Deluxe Edition of In Utero - 20th!

The set goes great next to my Nevermind box and is full of goodies too.
I am really enjoying the DVD concert as I saw Nirvana for the second time during this time period. R.I.P. Cobain.

Radio Friendly Unit Shifter is such a hilarious song title for the feedback-drenched snarling rocker that it is.

Listened to this album again today after many years I think. I didn't even remember how something like Tourette's went. lol.

If Nevermind was the party, then In Utero was the hangover. It took me quite some time to really get into In Utero. Nevermind was always the favourite. But now I'm a bit bored of Nevermind.

I might have to pick this up. There are a small handful of 90s albums I loved that my brother had that I figured I'd pick up when they were reissued. This is one of them.

It vividly remember buying Nevermind and Ten at a Sam Goody's right next to where I worked retail at the time.

I might have to pick this up as well.

Wow 20 years. Saw them on this tour in November of 93.

Me too. In Chicago. There was a Rolling Stone interview that happened afterwards where the band said it was a terrible show. We disagreed, of course.

I think at one point, Kurt began playing the opening of Smells Like Teen Spirit, then angrily threw his guitar down and jumped into the crowd. That was awesome.

Definitely my favorite Nirvana album. I love how angry and meta the lyrics are, I love the greater variety of sounds (including a handful of heart-wrenching slower numbers) and I fucking LOVE the way the drums sound. Grohl was like a kid in a candy store with Albini in tow.

Scentless Apprentice.

That's a great song.

Next to Negative Creep and School, my favorite Nirvana song. I always liked the heavy, screamy, trashy side of Nirvana the most.

I hope Frances Farmer finally does have her revenge....

Scentless Apprentice.

That's a great song.

Its the howling and screaming that makes this song take off. Generally this is not recommended but for Kurt it really matched where he was at emotionally and mentally.

If anyone gets a chance, watch the movie about Francis Farmer a former Seattle actress who was "put away" for her emotional health conditions. Very gripping in black and white.

Its the howling and screaming that makes this song take off. Generally this is not recommended but for Kurt it really matched where he was at emotionally and mentally.

Why isn't this generally recommended?

Ah, yes. That was the song played in LOST when Jack was losing his mind off the island. I don't know why, but that moment in LOST really made me love that song more.

For me it might be top 3. Along with Breed and Aneurysm. In no particular order, In Bloom, Very Ape, Lounge Act, Dive, Come As You Are, Radio Friendly Unit Shifter and Lithium round out my (off the top of my head) top 10. Leaving lots of great songs out of it obviously.

And w/r/t the most glaring omission, I heard enough of Teen Spirit in the early 90's to last me 20 years. It's obviously a great song, I'm just a little sick of it. Even still.

I've never really liked Smells Like Teen Spirit. I recognize that other people think it's a great song, it's just never translated to actual enjoyment for me and I've heard it far too much for it to start growing on me now.

Favs:

All Apologies
Scentless Apprentice
In Bloom
About a Girl
Where Did You Sleep Last Night?

I've heard all apologies and in bloom easily as many times as teen spirit, and could go the rest of my life without hearing them ever again.

Negative Creep and Sliver are the only nirvana songs I'm not entirely sick of at this point.

Listened to Hormoaning just now:

-Aneurysm is a classic
-Very fun to hear Nirvana go pop punk on the Vaselines covers

I guess for me top 5 would be something like:

1. Breed
2. Sappy
3. Scentless Apprentice
4. Sliver
5. Territorial Pissings

Leaves out some great tracks though.

This came very close to making my list. Loved it since it was the hidden track on the No Alternative compilation, when many thought it was called "Verse Chorus Verse" (which turned out to be another song).

Was the reason I bought the No Alternative CD back in the day. Almost put it at #1.

Back
Top Bottom