Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really love No More Shall We Part. His two most recent albums are my favourites of what I've heard (which also includes Let Love In and Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!), which is remarkable for an artist of his stature and longevity. That 2017 live show was something else..

No More Shall We Part is an absolute masterpiece.

The 2017 show that I saw in Sydney was astonishing. Have seen him many times before, both solo and with the Bad Seeds, but that show and the way the Skeleton Tree songs were wound into the set list was incredible. Amazing band. So tight and when they crank it up there is nothing else like it.

Those shows really were something else. I’m very glad to have seen them at that point in time. Be hard to replicate the context and experience, and it looks like they’ve dropped the best Skeleton Tree songs from the set list as the tour has gone on.

This looks cool

https://www.mso.com.au/whats-on/2019/nick-cave-warren-ellis/

"The Film Music of Nick Cave and Warren Ellis
World premiere

As part of the Melbourne International Film Festival, Cave and Ellis join the MSO for the first time to perform a selection of suites in full symphonic sound.

Repertoire: Suites and selections from The Proposition, The Road, Hell or High Water, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, West of Memphis and Wind River."

The concert film Distant Sky: Live From Copenhagen is now streaming for free on Nick Cave's website this Easter weekend (so until April 22nd). It's good.
https://www.nickcave.com/distantsky

(Though I have to say that I think that the encore - and especially Stagger Lee - is a bit too showy for me)

This one is going to take a while to sink in. It's essentially an ambient record, which is a jarring contrast from Skeleton Tree but somehow also a perfectly logical extension.

Skeleton Tree kind of has no follow up. Can recall the first few tines I listened to it. I couldn’t listen to anything afterwards. It was draining. Still the darkest heaviest thing I’ve heard.

This album rewards patience, even the tracks that go for quarter of an hour.

Fuck, Bright Horses is downright gorgeous

So I just sat down with my copy of the record and the lyrics. I don't say this lightly at all, but fuck, Ghosteen might be a masterpiece. I genuinely haven't been this floored by a record since To Pimp a Butterfly, in 2015. I would love to hear thoughts from everyone who checks this forum still and has listened to it.

I want to do an old-fashioned cobl04 word vomit but I am actually kind of speechless. There is too much to talk about. I think I will need a while to process the album, but the thing is, I think it's going to be quite difficult to listen to the album easily again, or give it the attention it deserves. The thing feels like a fucking film or something.

Fuck.

I agree that it's a hard album to write about. It's so spectral and so lush at the same time. Warren Ellis is the MVP - those synth arrangements are incredibly evocative.

In any case, this three album run is an all-timer.

I legitimately cannot think of a better three-album run by any artist, particularly a three-album in which each album has been even better than the one that preceded it. Push the Sky Away began this stately, soft, at times menacing sound direction that Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds took, giving us two gigantic, cathartic monsters of songs in Jubilee Street and Higgs Boson Blues, songs that almost like some preordained gift (particularly if you've heard the live versions), plus a host of other fantastic pieces like We No Who U R and the title track. Skeleton Tree doubled down on the quiet, menacing qualities and gave us a record with devastatingly heavy, dark tracks, closed out by three songs, one of which is beguiling in its despair and struggle (I Need You) and then two breathtakingly hopeful, uplifting songs.

And then Ghosteen has come along and someone made those two records seem like early sketches of the full vision. It's remarkable.

Song-wise, I think Galleon Ship is my favourite.

Warren is indeed a genius, and I get such a kick out of the love the share for one another, and the ridiculous musicianship on display. I think it was the show I saw from his Conversations tour earlier this year, where he talked about Warren being there for him and Suzie when his son died, how he was able to intimately know how to be around someone grieving, making cups of tea. So beautiful. The album is dedicated to Conway Savage, the Bad Seed who passed away last year; there's a beautiful note about him not on the Red Hand Files but Nick's website.

As Ghosteen has closed a trilogy, and Nick has it, the Red Hand Files and the Conversations shows as an outlet for his softer side, I think we will very likely get a Grinderman album in the near future, and he said earlier this year that Grinderman II was the second part in a yet-to-be completed trilogy.

I legitimately cannot think of a better three-album run by any artist, particularly a three-album in which each album has been even better than the one that preceded it.

I would rank them in reverse order, but it's really about splitting hairs. Push the Sky Away is probably the 2nd best album of the decade for me. The range of styles in such a cohesive package is stunning.

Updated NC&TBS Rushmore...

Higgs Boson Blues / Skeleton Tree / Jubilee Street / Galleon Ship

And of the records I've heard...

Ghosteen > Skeleton Tree > Push the Sky Away > No More Shall We Part > Let Love In > Dig Lazarus Dig

Nick Cave Rushmore is absurdly difficult. This will likely change by tomorrow.

The Mercy Seat/Jubilee Street/Thirsty Dog/Skeleton Tree

As for ranking the albums I’ve heard so far, it’s even tougher.

Let Love In
Ghosteen
Skeleton Tree
Murder Ballads
Tender Prey

Clearly, I need to listen to the rest of his discography. I’m open to suggestions of where to go next!

Ghosteen > Skeleton Tree > Push the Sky Away > No More Shall We Part > Let Love In > Dig Lazarus Dig

For someone who purports to be such a big fan you sure haven't heard much of his work, like only 1/3 of it??

As for ranking the albums I’ve heard so far, it’s even tougher.

Let Love In
Ghosteen
Skeleton Tree
Murder Ballads
Tender Prey

Clearly, I need to listen to the rest of his discography. I’m open to suggestions of where to go next!

Damn, you two, you really need to start catching up with his stuff. Most of his albums are amazing! The Boatman's Call and Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus are two masterpieces. Personal favourites include The Good Son and The Firstborn Is Dead. But basically, get them all (though maybe Nocturama, his debut From Her To Eternity and Your Funeral... My Trial can wait until the end).

I would highly recommend Murder Ballads, Boatman's Call, and Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus as next steps. Everything before Let Love In is spotty IMO, but everything after, with the exception of Nocturama, is essential.

Another album worthy of consideration, in my opinion, is Henry's Dream. It's not as good as Let Love In or The Boatman's Call, but I feel like it gets overlooked and it has some definite gems on it.

Nocturama wasn't all bad (Rock of Gibraltar is a lovely song), but man, it was really ruined by the 35 minute closing track 'Babe I'm On Fire'. They should totally stick it to everyone and tour it in full.

Back
Top Bottom