Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grinderman gave us the greatest ever Nick Cave quote. Well at least one I hope is true. Not sure if it actually is or not.

"When asked if "No Pussy Blues" had a deeper meaning, Nick Cave replied 'no, it's just about not getting any pussy when I grew my mustache'."

Rings of Saturn is an incredibly evocative song. It reminds me of something that I can't quite put my finger on, but the feeling is so distinct.

CA people currently not in possession of Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds tickets should make every effort to change that. The Denver show was so amazing I nearly lost my freaking mind.

cobl says everything better than I do about music so read this again and then move heaven and earth to get your hands on tickets:

If any of you fucking idiots here haven't seen him and have a chance to on this tour, buy a ticket NOW, no matter the cost. More when I can articulate my thoughts properly.

Highlights, of which there were many:

- Jesus Alone being about 16 times better than it is on record, the main refrain was amazing
- despite it being a gigantic outdoor arena and the fact it's the quietest song Magneto was absolutely stellar
- Higgs Boson Blues is one of the best songs ever, and live it's another five notches better. Featured some guttural screaming as well as Nick Cave breaking the fourth wall asking a woman what the fuck she was doing touching his dick
- The very touching personal epiphany I had walking back from the bar during From Her to Eternity (I don't normally go to the bar during gigs but I owed the chick I went with a drink)
- Tupelo, a song I didn't know, absolutely fucking epic as all fuck
- Jubilee Street, see Higgs Boson Blues. "I'm transforming / I'm vibrating / look at me now" is the most fierce shit you will ever see live
- Another very lovely personal epiphany during Into My Arms, Ship Song was also very nice
- I Need You being even better live than on record
- Stagger Lee being absolutely fucking mental
- Push the Sky Away an exceptional song

But I save the biggest comment for the main set closer, which was Distant Sky followed by Skeleton Tree. It was incredibly powerful, so emotional. Nick Cave is at the absolute peak of his powers. Like the stuff from Skeleton Tree and Push the Sky Away is the best shit, it's so good.

Go and see him, because live music doesn't get much better.

I saw him on Friday - fantastic show in a beautiful venue. Higgs Boson Blues is a fucking monster, arguably his best song. During Stagger Lee he kept pulling people on stage until there were probably 50 people up there with him - never seen anything like it before. I don't know what I can say about the Skeleton Tree songs
the timing of this show coincided with some heavy personal stuff, so they resonated in a particular way that I can't really articulate. But tremendously beautiful nonetheless. I'm almost glad he didn't play Rings of Saturn, because I think I would have lost it in public.

You embarrass me. [emoji4]
:cute:

Next week.

You're gonna love it.

You have to see this show. I went back in January in Sydney and it was astonishing.

:up:
I saw him on Friday - fantastic show in a beautiful venue. Higgs Boson Blues is a fucking monster, arguably his best song. During Stagger Lee he kept pulling people on stage until there were probably 50 people up there with him - never seen anything like it before. I don't know what I can say about the Skeleton Tree songs
the timing of this show coincided with some heavy personal stuff, so they resonated in a particular way that I can't really articulate. But tremendously beautiful nonetheless. I'm almost glad he didn't play Rings of Saturn, because I think I would have lost it in public.

Yep, that happened in Denver, too.

I think he really tapped into something following the tragic death of his son, yet the show somehow wasn't sad but really powerful and penetrating.

Rings of Saturn is one of the most gorgeous things he's ever done and at first I was disappointed not to hear it but in the end, every song was a highlight and it was just perfect the way it was. Push the Sky Away with him out in the middle of the audience just connecting in a way that I've only ever seen Bono do was incredible.

Nick Cave Rushmore? This is particularly tough given the breadth of his career.

(No particular order)
Higgs Boson Blues
The Mercy Seat (specifically the live KCRW version)
Are You the One That I've Been Waiting For?
Rings of Saturn

Ooh! Difficult... Right now I'd say
- Tupelo
- Into My Arms
- There She Goes, My Beautiful World
- Jubilee Street

If we were including live versions, Stagger Lee would be up there. That song is fucking ridiculous live.

Red Right Hand

I heard a guy do karaoke for this song the other night. It's a terrible karaoke song because you spend half the song standing there while an organ plays menacingly in the background, and the other half trying and failing to be as cool as Nick Cave. But it's a classic track so I was happy to hear it.

Last edited:
Glad to see someone else repping for the title track. Here’s how I feel about it, from my blog earlier this year:

Following the horrific events of 2015 – Nick Cave’s youngest son died after falling off a cliff – the album he released with his long-time band The Bad Seeds is a harrowing affair. At least, for the most part. The most remarkable thing about Skeleton Tree – maybe the best album of his long and storied career – is that it ends on a positive note. The closing song and title track comes after 36 minutes of soul-searching and grieving and finds Nick Cave sitting by a frost-bitten window on a Sunday morning, after a tortuous night of drinking and little sleep. “Sunday morning, skeleton tree / nothing is for free / in the window, a candle / maybe you can see.” He’s audibly exhausted, exhausted from searching his grief for an answer: “I called out, I called out / right across the sea / but the echo comes back empty…” The music reflects the mood, with its gentle, embracing synths, light piano and even lighter drumming lulling the listener – and Cave – into a much-needed sleep. As the song slowly reaches its conclusion we understand that there’s no easy way out of grief. But in this moment, right now, drifting off, things might just be okay.

Glad to see someone else repping for the title track. Here’s how I feel about it, from my blog earlier this year:

Following the horrific events of 2015 – Nick Cave’s youngest son died after falling off a cliff – the album he released with his long-time band The Bad Seeds is a harrowing affair. At least, for the most part. The most remarkable thing about Skeleton Tree – maybe the best album of his long and storied career – is that it ends on a positive note. The closing song and title track comes after 36 minutes of soul-searching and grieving and finds Nick Cave sitting by a frost-bitten window on a Sunday morning, after a tortuous night of drinking and little sleep. “Sunday morning, skeleton tree / nothing is for free / in the window, a candle / maybe you can see.” He’s audibly exhausted, exhausted from searching his grief for an answer: “I called out, I called out / right across the sea / but the echo comes back empty…” The music reflects the mood, with its gentle, embracing synths, light piano and even lighter drumming lulling the listener – and Cave – into a much-needed sleep. As the song slowly reaches its conclusion we understand that there’s no easy way out of grief. But in this moment, right now, drifting off, things might just be okay.

:heart: That's beautiful.

I re-watched "20,000 Days on Earth" last night and it's such an extraordinary film, and particularly poignant in light of the tragedy that happened the year following the release of the film.

I am never good at picking my top four songs by anyone. I can tell you that Jubilee Street at the show I saw was so electrifying that as it crescendo-ed to a rapturous intensity I very nearly spontaneously combusted in my seat.

I cannot stop thinking about that show. If I could have gotten a ticket I'd probably be on a plane to LA today. Can't wait to hear martha's impressions.

That energy at the end of Jubilee Street is just off the chain. One of my favourite concert memories for sure.

That was an amazing show last night. It seemed heavy on early and late songs, with not much from in between.

I don't have much else to say because everyone has said it more articulately that I would, but it was incredible. Maybe I can focus later and add more.

Saw Nick Cave last night doing something quite extraordinary... 'Conversations with Nick Cave'.

Three hours of him taking questions from the crowd, interspersed with solo piano renditions of his songs and covers. It was quite remarkable. Began with a rendition of a poem I guess he's written about being Steve McQueen. And then, in Melbourne Town Hall, with just a grand piano, two mics in front of the gigantic organ backdrop, he began taking questions from the crowd.

There were silly ones, some of which he laughed and answered, some of which (will you come to our small outback town and perform) that he said a resigned 'yes' to and then moved on. It was pretty thrilling to watch. He discussed grief, and my absolute highlight of the night came from a mother who'd also lost a son, thanking him for breaking down the barriers to that discussion, and talking about people's fears in broaching the subject to the bereaved. And he spoke about the 'terrible beauty' of grief, the amazing, wondrous, life-changing things that can come to you at the bottom of the pit of grief. That's what has always made Skeleton Tree so amazing to me. Most of the songs were written prior to Arthur's death, but it still feels very palpably about that, which is incredibly strange and weird. But you have this dark, desolate, depressing record, but then it ends on two astonishingly uplifting songs in Distant Sky and Skeleton Tree. I wonder if those songs are what he's talking about when he talks about the terrible beauty of grief.

He also talked a lot about faith, and I thought his answers to questions about his relationship with God and religion were beautiful - essentially it was, for me to exist and do what I do, I need belief in something more than myself. It's fundamental to who he is. And so he believes, but he knows he might also be wrong, and there might not be a God; but he's "not interested in the truth", he's got interest in the debate, for him it's all about the faith and the belief and I thought that was just wonderful. I don't personally believe, but have never and will never chastise individuals for their beliefs so long as they don't cause pain or suffering, because faith can be an extremely beautiful thing that delivers so much benefit to believers. And I thought the way he summed it all up was lovely.

He spoke about addiction, and how the tough reality is there is nothing you can do, and I'm not a good person to ask for advice, because people tried for 20 years to get me clean and it never worked, the only time he got clean was when he decided for himself that he'd had enough.

Other highlights included a question from a disabled bloke who couldn't speak well about what Nick Cave sees when he looks in the mirror, which Nick seemed quite humbled by.

Florence Welch (THE Florence) was in the crowd, and she stood up and began asking a question, giggling, all nervous, telling Nick that he had been the biggest influence on her career, and who had been his biggest influences (Chris Bailey and Elvis). To see a global superstar in Florence in hall just a fan like all the rest of us was amazing. Another fan dropped a letter to Nick over the balcony for Florence to catch and run up to hand to Nick. A real special moment.

Nick telling the story of how he wrote Gladiator 2: Christ Killer for Russell Crowe, but Rusty and Ridley Scott didn't like it so it got canned.

His favourite albums and perhaps the only ones he likes being From Her to Eternity and Skeleton Tree, because they're the only ones that resonate with him, the debut because it reminds him of a bunch musicians in a room with no idea figuring shit out and the latter because he can't remember recording it, and it captures a period in his life in posterity.

And also when asked about nostalgia tours, saying The Bad Seeds would never do it, unless it was Nocturama, which is widely hated by most of his fans. He said him and Warren have talked about getting the band on the road to play that in full, just to piss people off.

He spoke about how he is more gentle now, less abrasive than he once was, which endeared him to us even more.

He spoke about his relationship with Warren, which just seems like the most beautiful pure thing in the entire world, something I could listen to him talking about for hours on end. It seems like a beautiful expression of healthy masculinity, empathy, friendship and collaboration.

He spoke about Conway Savage, and how it's hard for The Bad Seeds to perform these days without him, because the chaos he bought to his piano playing they haven't been able to find since.

And then there was the songs - incredible versions of The Mercy Seat, Higgs Boson Blues (hearing a piano version of this was amazing!), Mermaids, Papa Won't Leave You Henry, crowd requests from nowhere (Stranger than Kindness) is his favourite in their catalogue, and he didn't write it - his then-partner Anita Lane wrote the lyrics and Blixa Bargeld the music) and then closing out with what may well be my two favourite Nick Cave songs, Love Letter and Skeleton Tree, was just such an incredible, heart-warming and hopeful way to finish, and the perfect way to close such a show out.

If it comes to a city near you, don't miss it.

Awesome - thanks for sharing. Cave is the closest thing to a philosopher we have in music right now. I would love to see a show like that.

Hoping a vid turns up for that piano-based Higgs Boson Blues as well.

The only part I disliked was when he got asked about political issues and he said a lot of it was coming from the left and his free speech is being shut down. I expected him to be a little better than to throw around something so lazy.

More chat please. I just went back through this thread and gosh it brought back good memories of when we were all super chatty.

I really love No More Shall We Part. His two most recent albums are my favourites of what I've heard (which also includes Let Love In and Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!), which is remarkable for an artist of his stature and longevity. That 2017 live show was something else.

I'm not sure we'll get a new TBS album this year but it's a big possibility. I also think there's a chance of Grinderman 3 in the future, though they're all focused on new TBS material for the time being.

If that second Melbourne show in 2017 hadn't clashed with Laneway I would've gone again 100%. I do need to listen a little more to albums beyond the two most recent ones, but they're so strong.

Back
Top Bottom