Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Iyup, I want you to know that you're on lots of drugs that's okay I just want you to know that it hasn't gone unnoticed.

Hahaha, that line was great. I was around pretty sedate people, with the exception of the obese woman who kept yelling "shut the fucking door" to everyone who left the box.

If you heard a drunken idiot scream, they were probably standing behind me.

What I learned from the crowd:

-Nick Cave is old
-Nick Cave was born in a cave
-Nick Cave is a crazy motherfucker after all these years
-Most of the songs played tonight were at least 30 years old
-Ballads and bourbon don't mix
-Holy sweet motherfucking damn

I'm late to this party due to my crazy schedule this year but I finally picked this up this week and I was totally in love with it from the first note.

This is still easily the best album of the year for me, and Jubilee Street the best song. There's something new revealed on each listen, and the more I listen to the lyrics on Jubilee and Higgs Boson Blues, the more unnerving and poignant they become. The slight variations he puts into lines like "saving them savages" or "fetus on a leash" helps make what could be throw-away abstractions into something evocative. Mood is the thing that I probably look for above all else in an album, and this one has it, however difficult it might be to define.

On topic: The Good Son (the song) is playing now.
And I saw him in concert last night. It was another great show, like it was two weeks ago when I also saw him. Jubilee Street is such an intense highlight live, despite being played very early in the set. I still think the two shows of the past two weeks don't reach the awesomeness as his show at the Lowlands festival (it was like some monster was unleashed on stage that night! :ohmy: ), but they were still great.
I loved hearing Into My Arms at all three shows. And last night we also got The Weeping Song, that one never fails to crack me up (though Blixa is missed on that one). And oh, I've totally fallen in love with Stagger Lee, another monster live, especially with the extended verses about the devil.

So yeah, Nick Cave! :bow:

AND_03b51f_2914237.jpg
[/IMG]

Okay, kiddies. Give me three essential Nick Cave albums to start my education.

Depends on what you want: hard-edged or mellow. My three favorites are probably

1. Push the Sky Away
2. No More Shall We Part
3. Murder Ballads

though there is a lot of love for Let Love In and Abattoir Blues as well.

Alright I'm going with

Let Love In
Murder Ballads
Abattoir Blues

and probably the new one for shits and gigs.

I'm not sure I'd be in a position to give a really informed suggestion, but it's a good sign with this guy that many of the go-to suggestions are from the last decade.

Back
Top Bottom