Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So it was a connection with his kids. I thought that was a strong possibility. And then he was up late one night doing some research on her on the interwebs, got sucked into her world, and discovered that she lives in Toluca Lake.

Or maybe somebody told him that she lives over there. Or maybe he came across a random newspaper article.

He's referencing Miley as a point of disposable pop culture that he observes while coming down from some kind or combination of drugs.

That, combined with the fact that Miley Cyrus gets more Internet hits than Martin Luther King. That's his observation of the state of the world (and all the knowledge in the world on the Internet) today.

I was mostly just having fun, guys.

But then I had to dig my heels in a bit when fucking cobbler spoke up.

No need to keep discussing it. We've peeled off all of the layers already.

This really is quite good. I'd say it and Amok are my favs from the year so far.

We No Who U R, Jubilee St, Higgs Boson Blues and the title track are my fav tracks.

I'm not so sure about this album, after a bit of time... 'We Know Who U R", "Jubilee Street" and "Higgs Boson Blues" really are high points. (To a lesser extent, "Mermaids" and "Finishing Jubilee Street")

It's a long time between drinks waiting for one of those three to show up, though. A little like the long middle third of Alligator. Yes, I'm aware of the skip button. But should I be wanting to use it?

So I've never listened to Nick Cave at all, other than hearing his songs in Wings of Desire. I'm listening to the new record now, and I think I love it. I'm not even all the way through it yet, but it's pretty wonderful.

It would be much easier if I didn't like it. To make my way through his back catalog at this late stage is daunting.

I'd start with the 2000s, maybe skip Nocturama and actually... just try No More Shall We Part and Dig Lazarus Dig!!! (actual title, not me exclaiming).

They represent two different (except not really) tendencies in his work, I guess. Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus is somewhere in the middle.

I wouldn't recommend Dig Lazarus Dig over anything besides Nocturama.

Just go with your mood. If you want something sinister, Tender Prey and Let Love In are great choices. If you want something contemplative, No More Shall We Part, The Boatman's Call and The Good Son are all going to treat you well.

I love Push the Sky Away because it's a little of both.

Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus is somewhere in the middle.

This is a good starting point, I think. Or maybe even Henry's Dream, though it doesn't get a lot of publicity. The early albums are so wildly different from what Cave is doing now that they might be best saved for later.

So I'm going to the Chicago gig after all. I am fucking ecstatic. Seeing an act with a shitload of classic tunes support what will be one of 2013's best albums in a lovely venue is going to be great.

Push the Sky Away just keeps getting better. It's a tossup with Boatman's Call for my third favorite album in his discography (behind Let Love In and No More Shall We Part).

Finally listened to the new album. Generally speaking, slow and contemplative Nick Cave is probably not my favourite Nick Cave, or at least I prefer it when he mixes it up with something a bit more raucous. Boatman's Call for instance has some of my favourite songs of his but I can rarely listen to the whole album from start to finish without getting a tad impatient. So I wasn't sure how much I was going to like this one, but after one spin I can safely say I'll definitely be listening to it from start to finish. It's so lovely and I just really love the chill-but-eerie vibe of the album.

Well, the performance of Jubilee Street tonight is an instant classic for me. Cave might be the best frontman I've ever seen in person.

Hes fantastic. Definitely made me a real fan of the band tonight. More of a passing interest prior

Horrible crowd aside, easily one of the best shows I've ever seen. Stagger Lee and Jubilee Street were out of this world.

Back
Top Bottom