Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boatman's Call is great and recommendable as a starting point for Into My Arms alone. He just has so many albums, it's difficult to limit it at three.

DLD has never really stood out to me.

Dig Lazarus Dig was the first I heard. Have never returned to it, not sure why not, it was good. I LOVE this new album and I'm also a big fan of No More Shall We Part. Bought but have yet to listen to Let Love In and Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus.

I'm not sure I'd be in a position to give a really informed suggestion, but it's a good sign with this guy that many of the go-to suggestions are from the last decade.

Rubbish. Once a musician reaches the age of 35 they stop making good music.

IMGP8640.JPG

Finally starting to listen to some more Nick Cave, after I got half of the songs from No More Shall We Part stuck in my head this morning.

Today was Let Love In, which I really enjoyed. Quite consistent in that I found myself really enjoying at least parts of every track. Favourites were Nobody's Baby Now (really nice guitar playing), Loverman (love the maniacal chorus breakdowns) and Lay Me Low was probably my favourite. Red Right Hand actually took me out of the listening experience for a bit, mostly because I've heard it seven million times before.

Yeah I want to say around the release of Tender Prey in 1988 is when the band hit their stride. Their early stuff is good, but a bit darker and more chaotic like early Birthday Party.

Nick Cave will be touring solo (with a few guest musicians) in UK and Europe next year:

Live / Nick Cave

Shows seem to sell out quickly, but they're in small places.

I might try and get myself a ticket for Berlin next week. Maybe if U2 will come to Germany in May I can connect these events, since I'm planning to spend some time in Berlin again next year.

I got my tickets for the two Dutch shows. :drool:
The way I see it, it'll probably be some quiet Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds shows, as most of The Bad Seeds will be playing too (Martyn Casey, Warren Ellison & Barry Adamson).

Finally got to see the man tonight. Guessing it's part of those shows posted above, but I thought it was going to be stripped down and solo, so I was pretty pumped to get in and see a heap of instruments. Most of them seemed to belong to Warren Ellis, who is that talented he can just fuck right off. One minute he's playing that restrained guitar that made Push the Sky Away so good, the next he's tearing the same guitar to shreds, I'm pretty sure he was playing the flute and guitar at the same time at one point, he also plays the accordion, it just goes on and on, what a man.

Anyhoo. No opener which was awesome. Band came out, also featuring a drummer, a bass guitarist and another bloke on synths/organs/keys. Then Nick Cave comes out. I just love this man. So much swagger. Just absolutely radiates cool. They opened with We Real Cool, which mostly featured Nick Cave coaxing people, 99% females, from their seats to stand at the front of the stage, crooning the opening lines.

Disclaimer here - only Nick Cave albums I've heard are Push the Sky Away, No More Shall We Part, Let Love In and Dig Lazarus Dig, and the first two are really the only ones I'm familiar with at this point in time. Red Right Hand is fucking everywhere, I'm not a huge fan of it but it was great live, nice escalation in the music and watching Warren Ellis whack the bell was cool. I fucking love Higgs Boson Blues, on my Nick Cave Rushmore, and it was fucking wicked live. It was followed by Mermaids, a song I've always loved, but which was much better live. Just had a real dramatic feel to it, and had a big raucous outro as well which took it even further.

Seems time has not diminished Nick Cave's fondness for From Her to Eternity, he was really into it and it was great. Was followed by God is in the House, which I thought might lead into Love Letter, my favourite Nick Cave song, and it did, and it was just so fucking lovely. Water's Edge might have been a little too much of the restrained stuff from the new album but was still good. Lay Me Low was outstanding, although Into My Arms was a bit underwhelming for such a loved song I thought. Jubilee Street closed the main set and it was the undisputed highlight of the night, my fucking god. I'M TRANSFORMING, I'M VIBRATING, LOOK AT ME NOW... just so fierce and passionate, a truly towering achievement.

Elongated break before they came back on stage but they played quite a few songs. I thought they might get back into it with We No Who U R, and they did, and it ruled, such a cool song. Up Jumped the Devil was not a song I knew but it fucking rocked, as did Jack the Ripper, and the other tracks that filled the encore were great as well. Particularly loved a line in the last song, "Eurydice said Orpheus if you play that fucking thing down here I'll stick it up your orifice!"

Also want to make a comment on how fucking entertaining Nick Cave was. I was expecting him to be way more cranky/mumbly/reserved than he was. In the opening minutes he signed a girl's breasts, and, among other things throughout the night, he threw cue cards from his piano over the top, threw mics around, thrashed a xylophone, replied to things audience members were shouting at him, joked around with Warren Ellis and the rest of the band, asked his crew to come and fix his piano when it lost something and started sounding like a toy piano, dropped a heap of f-bombs, signed things before going off stage, he was just a fucking delight.

We Real Cool
The Weeping Song
Red Right Hand
Sad Waters
Higgs Boson Blues
Mermaids
The Ship Song
From Her to Eternity
God is in the House
Love Letter
Water's Edge
Black Hair
Lay Me Low
Into My Arms
The Mercy Seat
Jubilee Street

We No Who U R
Up Jumped the Devil
Breathless
Jack the Ripper
Babe You Turn Me On
The Lyre of Orpheus

tl;dr - Jubilee Street omfg

Also want to make a comment on how fucking entertaining Nick Cave was. [...] threw mics around

No-one can throw a microphone down on the stage as Nick Cave. He makes the thud sound like it absolutely belongs in whatever song they're then playing.
:)

Good to hear you had a great time.

Back
Top Bottom