Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O Children with children's chorus.

YES.

It can only be downhill from there, as that's probably my favorite of his. And he probably won't do anything else from Orpheus.

This is really quite a restrained album, isn't it? Almost menacing at times.

My favourite tracks are far and away Jubilee Street and Higgs Boson Blues. Mermaids is also good, and I like Push the Sky Away as well, good menacing closer that leaves you wanting more and lyrics ("keep on pushing / push the sky away") that stick in your head. But I just feel like a few of the tracks would have been made more awesome if they'd broken into some rocking endings. Others may disagree, say that would be cliche, which is fair, but I definitely found myself most attracted to Jubilee Street and Higgs Boson Blues because they both pick up the pace a bit.

Nick Cave really just does whatever the fuck he wants though, doesn't he. The opening lyrics to Mermaids and the references to "Mylie" Cyrus and Hannah Montana in Higgs Boson Blues made me laugh pretty hard. Imagine being a fly on the wall as he and Warren Ellis made this record. It'd be the most bad arse shit you'd ever see. I also like when he goes all meta with Finishing Jubilee Street. I've never come across that on a record before.

Also: "Additional photographs by Cat Stevens"

But I just feel like a few of the tracks would have been made more awesome if they'd broken into some rocking endings.

When I first heard We No Who U R, I was definitely expecting it to explode at some point, so I see where you are coming from. The more I listen to the album, though, the more its consistency of mood and tone becomes its strongest point.

cobl04 said:
Dude seems like a real misanthrope.

I don't have tickets to see him in a couple of weeks. I feel like I'll come to regret it, but it's over $100.

Dude i dont either. I will regret it.
I will however get off my ass and get this album

Man this album is just killer. I prefer the first half to the second though, title track aside.

Yeah, I'm convinced that this is the finest album I have heard this year by a fairly wide margin. He is one hell of a lyricist. He reminds me a bit of Waits in the sense that both of them are refusing to accept that "elder statesman" type of progression. There are some other bands out there who could learn quite a bit from Mr. Cave about aging gracefully and still releasing challenging, insightful music...

Yes, I was hoping that'd be your bat signal.

Haha, just heard it and wow, he talks about her in Toluca Lake.

She has a house in Toluca Lake. This is not general public knowledge. Not even close. The only people that know this are:

1. People who know Miley or the Cyrus family in real life
2. Paparazzi types
3. Creeps/big fans that actively seek out pictures of Miley Cyrus on the internet and pay close attention to detail

This leads me to believe that Nick Cave is a perv and has done some serious Miley searching on the web. There is really no other explanation. He's writing in character as someone else he knows who has oddly specific knowledge of Miley Cyrus' life? Nah. His kids watch Hannah Montana? Very possible but, still, you gotta do some digging to know she has a vacation home in Toluca Lake. This dude is into Miley.

And this makes me feel better about myself and my obsessions.

Yeah, I'm convinced that this is the finest album I have heard this year by a fairly wide margin. He is one hell of a lyricist. He reminds me a bit of Waits in the sense that both of them are refusing to accept that "elder statesman" type of progression. There are some other bands out there who could learn quite a bit from Mr. Cave about aging gracefully and still releasing challenging, insightful music...

I can't believe I already have at least three, possibly four albums that I feel this strongly about so early in the year, but I can't WAIT to see what happens to this, MBV, and Foals (maybe even Beach Fossils).

Haha, just heard it and wow, he talks about her in Toluca Lake.

She has a house in Toluca Lake. This is not general public knowledge. Not even close. The only people that know this are:

1. People who know Miley or the Cyrus family in real life
2. Paparazzi types
3. Creeps/big fans that actively seek out pictures of Miley Cyrus on the internet and pay close attention to detail

This leads me to believe that Nick Cave is a perv and has done some serious Miley searching on the web. There is really no other explanation. He's writing in character as someone else he knows who has oddly specific knowledge of Miley Cyrus' life? Nah. His kids watch Hannah Montana? Very possible but, still, you gotta do some digging to know she has a vacation home in Toluca Lake. This dude is into Miley.

And this makes me feel better about myself and my obsessions.

I think it's more likely that he was drunk, high or bored, likely a combination of the three and just googled her name and then wrote a song on what he found, because he does whatever the fuck he wants.

Someone asked him in an interview recently if Mark Seymour (frontman of Hunters & Collectors, classic Aussie rock band) was being truthful about a story in his autobiography in which he (Seymour) claims to have saved a fan's life at an old Birthday Party gig. And Cave was like "...who the fuck is Mark Seymour?"

I suppose that's possible. Still, like I said, you wouldn't find out that she has a house in Toluca Lake just by googling her name real quick. You'd have to do some digging, or just know about it already. He's a fan.

Don't try to take this from me, cobbler. Fuck.

He's referencing Miley as a point of disposable pop culture that he observes while coming down from some kind or combination of drugs. The odds that Nick Cave is a Miley Cyrus fan are beyond miniscule.

He's referencing Miley as a point of disposable pop culture that he observes while coming down from some kind or combination of drugs. The odds that Nick Cave is a Miley Cyrus fan are beyond miniscule.

I understand that. I guess that's not really my point.

I have to go, but I'll be back to explain. Which I already have. But I guess I need to again. I'm bad at explaining.

Well that was amazing. For those that didn't watch the stream, new album played in full plus favourites after, with and without the orchestra / choir.

Early stand out was Jubilee Street. You know how in All I Need you just never want the song to end after that first cymbal crash? Was like that for five minutes with Nick alternatively pounding the piano and belting out the I'm transforming refrain from the edge of the stage. Amazing.

Rest of show was dope. I didn't recognise many but my long time fan friend was enraptured. Not that I didn't love it too, but now I just have to hear Henry's Dream, apparently.

Plus, Opera House setting was fantastic. Perfect show, although I can only imagine what the club show will be like in a couple of weeks time.

So it was a connection with his kids. I thought that was a strong possibility. And then he was up late one night doing some research on her on the interwebs, got sucked into her world, and discovered that she lives in Toluca Lake.

I have one more thing to add, and it's the most important thing, and it came to me today as I was out and about, and I thought I had to share:

My father wears his sneakers in the pool.

I totally love the overall atmosphere of the album, for me, it just flows.

I think my favourite track right now is Wide Lovely Eyes.

Still thinking of going abroad to see him live in fall, but it's so far away, I can't decide yet.

Back
Top Bottom