Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You will give me your opinion on new dkm, too. Lead single sounded right up your alley.

Belated, but...
I didn't care much for it at first. I like Ken more than you, but Al needs to get vocals on a lead single, and I thought the lyrics were too saccharine. After a few listens, though, I think it's one of their best songs - possibly ever. It's perhaps too evocative of Flogging Molly's "Float," but more accomplished musically. After hearing it in the context of the album, I definitely put it as one of the highlights on a very solid album.

The only song I don't like is the second "single," "The Season's Upon Us," mostly because novelty songs bore me and holiday novelty songs don't work on regular albums (except "Fairytale of New York," but Shane McGowan gets at a bittersweetness that in attempts by other lyricists just comes out in the form of crude and cheap jokes). "Prisoner's Song" is also like the lovechild of "Shipping..." and "The State of Massachusetts," but it grew on me fast. I love "Burn" and "Out on the Town," though. The latter is full-tilt Thin Lizzy with some seriously swinging Al vocals, so how could it not be awesome?

Anyway, back to the previously scheduled Nick Cave discussion.

Copying it for completeness:
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds will play a series of very special events to mark the release of Push the Sky Away in London, Paris, Berlin and LA.
The band will present the new album live, accompanied by strings & choir at these one-off shows, along with an exclusive screening of a new short film about the making of Push The Sky Away by Iain Forsyth & Jane Pollard.

10 Feb - Her Majesty’s Theatre , London
11 Feb - Le Trianon, Paris
13 Feb - Admiralspalast, Berlin
21 Feb - The Fonda Theatre, Los Angeles

Tickets on sale Thurs 17 Jan, 4.00pm GMT, via nickcave.com
On general sale Fri 18 Jan, 10.00am GMT

Nice, but not in the Netherlands. :sad:

Thanks, Marty. I was too excited to do it.

Tickets are onsale at 8 AM my time and 2 AM my time. 8 sounds better, but I might be late for work getting them. Or, I could just get there early and use my work computer. Hmmm.

Woah woah woah, wait a minute. You mean tickets for the show are actually cheaper in Australia? Hot damn.

I don't care that he is Australian, the point stands!

I paid $80 or so for a mid-level Chicago ticket. It may even be one of the famed douchebag seats, as a matter of fact.

Great song. So I take it Grinderman is just a harder, looser, dirtier version of himself and the Bad Seeds?

I just looked that song up on Wikipedia and there's a great quote in response to whether it had a deeper meaning - "it's just about not getting pussy when I had my moustache".

What do you (and others here too) think of No More Shall We Part?

What do you (and others here too) think of No More Shall We Part?

My favorite of his. Few albums capture that sense of ecstatic pain so well - Cave's own Boatman's Call is another. I feel like you can really step into his emotions on both, which is definitely an accomplishment.

No More Shall We Part is both far too long and not long enough. It depends on my mood. Either way, it's undoubtedly a classic.

I've only heard Grinderman II so I guess I'll listen to the debut now.

I haven't picked up tickets to see him live yet. I didn't expect Morrissey to sell out and it did, so I suspect I'm going to be just as out of luck for Nick Cave, but we'll see.

I need to hear more of his music, I've only heard like two albums.

I absolutely adore The Boatman's Call and No More Shall We Part. They are the softer side of Nick, but they are so beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom