Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 12-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #211
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:04 PM
My favourite Nick Cave audience interaction is the one on youtube somewhere where a heckler is shouting at him during Stagger Lee. He simply replies 'fuck you' without missing a beat.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #212
45:33

Local Time: 07:04 PM
would like to hear people's take on this... https://overland.org.au/previous-iss...nwyn-crawford/

I don't like this writer very much at all, she has also written terribly about U2 in the past, but I thought it was an interesting read. I don't really agree with it, though.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #213
A childless dog

Local Time: 12:04 AM
I saw the word middlebrow and closed the tab.

Nick Cave is, at best, a theater act here in America. There's nothing middlebrow about his audience. And if this writer is attempting to describe his art instead of his position in popular culture, using "middlebrow" as a genre tag is patently idiotic. Citing From Her to Eternity as his creative apex was also worth a huge eyeroll.

Booooooooo

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #214
Blue Crack Distributor

If I hear the word "Middlebrow" one more time...
Old 12-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #215
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:04 AM
I don't know if misogyny is a charge that can justifiably be made of Cave - no more so than, say, The Rolling Stones, as they are both mimicking to some extent a very old blues tradition that is suspicious of but not hateful toward women. I'd say Cave has some misanthropic tendencies, but those also extend to himself, especially on something like No More Shall We Part. Listen to something like Hallelujah, and it's hard not to be moved by the intensity and poetry of the introspection on display there. There's nothing middlebrow about that album, or The Boatman's Call, or Push the Sky Away: there's a genuine intellectualism there that is rarely found in such variety in any one artist.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #216
A childless dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
If I hear the word "Middlebrow" one more time...
If Australia just discovered it, you know it's on the way out.

Now.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #217
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
would like to hear people's take on this... https://overland.org.au/previous-iss...nwyn-crawford/

I don't like this writer very much at all, she has also written terribly about U2 in the past, but I thought it was an interesting read. I don't really agree with it, though.
Borderline unreadable, but the upshot seems to be; another column by someone about why you're bad for liking (insert thing you like here).

I can't stand the kind of literal-mindedness that seems to afflict some critics (though actually in places this author gives some indication of being at least aware of the role-playing/mask-donning nature of performance). It's as bad as the people who think Tarantino films actually are advocating you kill a bunch of people.

Loved the little dig about his 'consensual rape' lyric from a Grinderman album. Course he meant raping someone. Course he did. :eyeroll:

Now, admittedly, Cave's image down under has been gentrified a bit of late (really, since at least the turn of the century and No More Shall We Part) what with the exhibitions and magazine writeups and collections of the private papers and so forth; but he can't be blamed for his admirers. It's no skin off my nose if some readers of the Sydney Morning Herald weekend style magazine picked up his new album to play on the trip to the winery, running-dog capitalists though they may be. I think his actual self-presentation remains at least somewhat tongue-in-cheek, albeit the swagger is backed up with real talent.

I doubt that the duet with Kylie Minogue, not really his finest hour imo, and however calculated it may or may not have been, has that much bearing on his commercial career nearly twenty years later.

Quote:
‘Where the Wild Roses Grow’ exemplified Cave’s ambiguous attitude to the music industry, and particularly to success in his home country. He accepted his 2007 induction into the ARIA Hall of Fame while maintaining a haughty contempt towards the honour; he dismisses song writing as ‘woman’s work’ while regularly expounding upon the elevating notion of his ‘muse’, who seems not to mind a chart success or two; and he has become determined during recent years to shape for himself, as he admitted frankly in his interview with Good Weekend, a legacy in the country that he left behind nearly thirty years ago.
This writer is astoundingly clueless. I obviously don't have a quote of Cave 'dismissing songwriting as woman's work', but I have read quite a few quotes about him wearing a suit to his office to, you know, song write. Maybe he was making an off the cuff crack? Maybe, maybe everything isn't to be taken literally?
Old 12-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #218

That's what annoyed me the most, yeah. This idea that everything has to be taken literally. Tom Waits never drove a nail through a woman's forehead. Songs like From Her to Eternity are so obviously an artistic work of fiction. Music and art are inhabited so richly by flawed characters, but if it were left to writers such the author of that article we'd be left with nothing but vapidity.

And yeah, middlebrow is literally the last word I'd choose to describe his music.

It probably speaks volumes that after I tweeted an open criticism to the author she immediately replied "I have no time or energy for Nick Cave fan boys. Bye" and blocked me.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #219
A childless dog

If she's too busy for an open conversation, she should keep her terrible opinions to herself.

Now.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #220
Blue Crack Distributor

Wow, haha, what a joke.

Some people aren't really good at taking what they dish out, are they?
Old 12-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #221
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
That's what annoyed me the most, yeah. This idea that everything has to be taken literally. Tom Waits never drove a nail through a woman's forehead. Songs like From Her to Eternity are so obviously an artistic work of fiction. Music and art are inhabited so richly by flawed characters, but if it were left to writers such the author of that article we'd be left with nothing but vapidity.

And yeah, middlebrow is literally the last word I'd choose to describe his music.

It probably speaks volumes that after I tweeted an open criticism to the author she immediately replied "I have no time or energy for Nick Cave fan boys. Bye" and blocked me.
You may have been a little late to the party; unless I totally misread something, the article appeared to date from 2009. Or maybe I did misread something.

If people like the author had their way, everything would be focus-grouped sludge sending an appropriate message to a docile, lobotomised audience. Look, I even agree a bit with her lamenting the rise of what is often lumped under the label 'neoliberalism'. Our society/economy in its present form is profoundly sick. Nick Cave is not the enemy in this picture.

I couldn't really understand her repeated allusions to his obviously extremely limited musical talent, as though such a thing were self-evident. I mean, make that argument if you want, but it isn't self-evident.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:22 PM   #222

Looks like the new album will continue in that brooding, ready-to-break-but-never-doing-so vein.

But with far more weight and heaviness, following what happened

Old 09-01-2016, 11:43 PM   #223
She's the One

I'm almost hoping he doesn't tour. It would be too much.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 09-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #224
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:04 AM
New song is deeply unsettling and deeply awesome.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:13 AM   #225
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

It's brooding, alright. I'm a bit hesitant to speculate on what this means for the album (yeah, I mean, I hardly expect a chuckle-fest), but in and of itself it's a compelling piece.

Tags
nick cave