New Yo La Tengo - Popular Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
necessary bump. Coldplay gets page after page but no one wants to talk about this? :wink::angry:

Wonderful record, yes. I'm pretty new to YLT, the only album of theirs I had heard beforehand in full was I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One, so I can't exactly compare this record to previous releases, but it's lovely, and surprisingly versatile. I'm impressed, would certainly place it in my top five for the year so far:

1. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
2. U2 - No Line On The Horizon
3. Yo La Tengo - Popular Songs
4. Passion Pit - Manners
5. The Horrors - Primary Colours

Still stunning. Matador is doing a Buy Early, Get Now campaign for this album. I cannot being to recommend this option strongly enough--they always deliver the goods, and it's important to reward artists and labels who're willing to go the extra mile, like this. Extra songs and downloads, an immediately active stream, a bonus record to go along with this double LP...come on! Visit, investigate, and please buy it, if you're into the music:

Matador Records | Matablog

In other news, much to the dismay of laz and probably the rest of the world, I'm going to say that this is Yo La Tengo's best song of the decade:

YouTube - Yo La Tengo - Don't Have To Be So Sad

Loved it from the moment I heard it. It's this decade's "Griselda," in terms of my irrational over-love.

And, again:

Matador Records | Matablog

Buy it if you like it, and buy it early! Support a label which makes the package that much more worthwhile!

Kids, seriously--this album is gorgeous. I just cannot believe how stunning the last three songs are. My word...so beautiful. "More Stars Than There Are In Heaven" is nearly unbearable, it's so great!

Saw them, tonight. If you have ANY chance of doing so, in your home city, you cannot miss this band on this tour. Holy SHIT. I cannot believe how spectacular this show was. I cannot even begin to express myself coherently, here, so I'll just toss up a setlist. Most of the encores were audience requests.

1 Periodically Double or Triple
2 More Stars Than There Are in Heaven
3 Avalon or Someone Very Similar
4 Flying Lesson
5 Last Days of Disco
6 The Weakest Part
7 If it's True
8 Here to Fall
9 I'm on My Way
10 Tom Courtenay (acoustic)
11 When it's Dark (acoustic)
12 Sugarcube
13 False Alarm
14 Drug Test
15 Nothing to Hide
16 Story of YLT
--
17 Gates of Steel
18 Big Day Coming (acoustic, Georgia vocal)
19 My Little Corner of the World
--
20 Time Fades Away
21 By the Time it Gets Dark

This show was stupefyingly great. Anybody with even the most remote interest HAS to catch a show. Please listen to me. You will thank me.

They are resuming the Popular Songs tour, but the odds of us hearing anything from it are slim.

Pitchfork: Yo La Tengo Plan Insane Concept Tour

When indie O.G.s Yo La Tengo hit the road early next year, they're not going to play any standard-issue greatest-hits-plus-new-shit sets. Instead, they're trying out an appealingly goofy show concept, one that'll probably lead them to stuff that they hardly ever play. Or show off their acting skills, if you're lucky.

As the band announces on their website, they'll start every show by spinning a giant wheel which has all sorts of ridiculous show concepts on it. They'll let the wheel pick which one they're going to do that night. Some of the concepts are pretty straightforward: They could play a set as their noisy garage alter-ego Condo Fucks, or as bassist James McNew's solo project Dump. Or they'll do a question-and-answer set, with music. Or they'll play half of their instrumental film-accompaniment album The Sounds of Science, except without the film accompaniment.

But some of their ideas are decidedly more weird. For instance, they may play an entire set of songs with a name in the title, or a set of songs that begin with the letter S. Or-- and, really, this is the best one-- they and their crew will act out "a classic sitcom." So many possibilities! Oh yeah,-- we've confirmed that this is not a joke.

Before this goofy-ass tour starts, Yo La Tengo will play the City Slang anniversary festival in Berlin and their regular Hanukkah shows at the Hoboken club Maxwell's. All dates below.

Yo La Tengo:

11-21 Berlin, Germany - Admiralspalast
12-01-08 Hoboken, NJ - Maxwell's
01-20 Philadelphia, PA - The Trocadero *
01-21 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club *
01-22-23 Carrboro, NC - Cat's Cradle *
01-25 Orlando, FL - The Social *
01-26 Jacksonville, FL - Freebird Live *
01-28 Atlanta, GA - Variety Playhouse *
01-29 New Orleans, LA - Tipitina's *
01-31 Birmingham, AL - WorkPlay *
02-01 Nashville, TN - Exit/In *
02-03 Indianapolis, IN - The Vogue Theater *
02-04 Chicago, IL - Metro *
02-05 Pittsburgh, PA - Mr. Small's Fun House *

Do I want this to be my first live experience with YLT? Why yes.

Back
Top Bottom