New Weezer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't hate it. It's painfully self-conscious, and yes the lyrics are kind of awkward, but a lot of Weezer's songs are kind of iffy in the lyrical department. It'll take some growing, but it definitely sounds like the 37 year-old Rivers Cuomo should sound to me.

Anyway, regardless of this track, I'm still excited for this album. There could be a Keep Fishin' or Perfect Situation that hasn't been unveiled yet.

The music sounds great, but the lyrics are somewhat crap even from an ironic stand point. Even though the sound is completely different, it still reminds me of Make Believe where somehow the song can be both good and horrible at the same time.

Regardless, definitely looking forward to the new album and tour. :up:

phanan said:
The lyrics are so bad that it's funny. I don't know if they did that on purpose or not, but it goes well with the music, and I like it.

The "I don't care" refrain is particularly compelling. :wink:

I really like the production on this track. It sounds like the last few albums have, but with a greater range of dynamics and extra sonic flourishes.

S'ok. Perhaps it'll grow on me. I never got Weezer's last album either. but everything before that is solid...I saw Weezer back in 2002...I'd definitely see them again :up:

I've never seen them live and I want to soooooo bad!!!!! If they played "Tired of Sex" I would probably just combust and be done right there! :combust:

And lovin' the new song! Fun, catchy, rockin' . . . God Bless classic Weezer.

Last edited:
Weezer put on one of the best shows I've ever seen, actually. I saw them on the Enlightenment Tour in '02. The thing I loved about this was the complete and utter randomness of the setlist. The rumor at the time is that they were using a computer program to select their setlists. If so, it seemed very calculated - so many singles from each album, so many album tracks. But the setlists were different practically every night.

That said, they were supporting Maladroit at the time and only played three songs - "American Gigolo," "Dope Nose," and "Burndt Jamb." I think there were a whopping six each from Blue and Pinkerton, three from Green.

That said, I got to hear "Butterfly," "Falling For You," and a 15 minute "Only in Dreams" :drool:

I think this is the third version I've seen of the cover.

I'm sure I'll end up buying the deluxe edition, I'm a sucker for extra songs.

Ok , this might be old news but I thought it was too cool not to post....

The DJ at my local college radio station just relayed the story...

Apparently when Weezer showed the new album to the executives at Geffen, they said "We don't hear a single on this album...how are we going to sell this thing?"

Rivers got really pissed off and offended threw a fit. He went back and grabbed his acoustic and wrote Pork and Beans and came back and said "here's your single"

I think that is awesome and it totally enhances my enjoyment of the song. Listen to Pork and Beans again with that story in mind and I think you will see what I mean.

Way to go Rivers!!! :up:

Is this supposed to make me like or respect Rivers more? For kowtowing to record execs?

If he had any real integrity he would have told them to fuck off, straight up.

yeah, but they're still record execs.

If he made a single for them, but takes shots at them in the lyrics, that earns him some points.

If true, this story makes me really want to hear the rest of the album . . .

Interesting if true, as it does kinda make some sense about why the song's lyrics are so ridiculous. (IE, a complete mockery of Pinkerton era Weezer)

lazarus said:
Is this supposed to make me like or respect Rivers more? For kowtowing to record execs?

If he had any real integrity he would have told them to fuck off, straight up.

The way I look at it, Rivers did say "fuck you" to the execs by writing the song. Anyway, it makes me like the song Pork and Beans more and, yes, it even makes me like Rivers more.

Also, our friends over at stereogum have discovered 3 or 4 more songs off the new "Red" album if anyone's interested....

http://stereogum.com/archives/mp3/n...ariat_009662.html?utm_source=bb&utm_medium=mc

lazarus said:
I don't understand how doing what the suits tell you to, even if it's in a defiant manner, is more admirable than just walking away.

Well, it's an absolutely miserable song lyrically, and an abortion of an attempt to sound like the whole "this is who I am" feel of Pinkerton. So to some degree it's like he's giving them what they want, but it's the worst possible version of what they think they want I suppose. Kind of a "You want some stupid catchy pop single to throw on the radio? Here you go." I dont know, I get what you're saying, but I get what GAF and coemgen are saying as well.

Back
Top Bottom