New Tom Petty Album and "Extensive" North American Tour - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 02-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:48 PM
New Tom Petty Album and "Extensive" North American Tour

Last week, I received an e-mail from Tom Petty & Co. that big news was forthcoming. I promptly forgot about that e-mail. But now, here I am, home sick from school, and what to my wondering eyes should appear but an email from Floridians full of good cheer:

http://click.bsftransmit2.com/ViewInBrowser.aspx?pubids=6153|71|605864&digest=X5GCoelimbjmLzCS8lVilA

Quote:
2010 NORTH AMERICAN SUMMER TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT

TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS TO RELEASE NEW ALBUM, MOJO, THIS SPRING

EACH ONLINE TICKET PURCHASED COMES WITH A DIGITAL COPY OF MOJO INCLUDING TWO ADVANCE TRACKS. ONLINE TICKET BUYERS ALSO GET LIVE TRACKS FROM 2010 TOUR AT THE END OF THE SUMMER

Dear Ashley,

We are excited to announce that Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers will mount an extensive tour of North America this summer and also release their first studio album in eight years, Mojo, this spring.

The tour begins May 6 in Raleigh, NC and will take the band throughout the US and Canada all summer long. Special guests on the tour will include a mix of appearances by My Morning Jacket, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Joe Cocker, ZZ Top, and Drive-By Truckers.

Tickets for many of the shows go onsale to the public Monday March 8. Highway Companions Club presales will begin on Wednesday March 3.

Visit the tour page for cities, dates and venues. Click here for details on the new Highway Companions Club and premium ticket packages.

Mojo is Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers’ twelfth studio album and is the sound of a band making some of its most exhilarating music, over thirty years into their career.

Every online ticket purchased to the tour comes with an MP3 download copy of Mojo, delivered via email on the album’s release date, scheduled for this spring.

Upon purchasing their ticket to the tour fans will receive an email with codes entitling them to download two tracks from Mojo right away. The tracks are “First Flash Of Freedom” and “Good Enough.”

“Good Enough” is currently streaming exclusively on TomPetty.com. Click here to listen.

Plus, fans who purchase tickets online and download Mojo will also receive 8 tracks recorded during the 2010 Tour to be delivered after the tour. Members of the Highway Companions Club will receive an additional 6 live tracks for a total of 14 at the end of the tour.

More details on Mojo will be released in the coming weeks. In the meantime make sure to check out all the tour dates here!

Official Site: TomPetty.com
Official Merchandise: Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Store
Join: The Highway Companion Club
On Facebook: Facebook.com/TomPetty
On Twitter: Twitter.com/TomPettyDotCom

PLEASE FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO A FRIEND.
Tour Dates...are here: http://www.tompetty.com/tour?utm_sou...umAnnouncement copying this over was too difficult

Old 02-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:48 PM
The first Heartbreakers album in almost eight years, good shit. I feared this might be another solo Tom joint.

I'm going to try to make the show at the UC. One of my best friends has just recently, like within the last year, become a huge Petty fan (mostly because of me) and it'd be cool to go the show with him. Ticket prices haven't been announced yet? Or am I missing something?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

When I saw him at the United Center two years ago, the tickets were like $90 and $100, I have to assume they'll be the same again .

Also, Gaffer, I will very likely be going to that show as well
Old 02-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
A childless dog

You can count on me being there too. Fuck yeah.

I'm one of those fans that wouldn't mind if the set was 95% Hard Promises and earlier. I'm a Petty curmudgeon that way. I'm more curious to hear the crowd reaction to Free Fallin' than the song itself, ditto I Won't Back Down. A few Wildflowers tracks would be a nice surprise, although it's illogical that a Heartbreakers set would load up on those.

Oh and yeah, a new album. That's cool and stuff.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
You can count on me being there too. Fuck yeah.

I'm one of those fans that wouldn't mind if the set was 95% Hard Promises and earlier. I'm a Petty curmudgeon that way. I'm more curious to hear the crowd reaction to Free Fallin' than the song itself, ditto I Won't Back Down. A few Wildflowers tracks would be a nice surprise, although it's illogical that a Heartbreakers set would load up on those.

Oh and yeah, a new album. That's cool and stuff.
Try and remember that Full Moon Fever is a solo album as well, and it's not inexplicable. Last time I saw him, it was All Da Hitz, and he did play "You Don't Know How It Feels." Last time, he wasn't promoting a new Heartbreakers album though, just Mudcrutch, so maybe he'll try to support Mojo, but I somehow doubt it.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
A childless dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Try and remember that Full Moon Fever is a solo album as well, and it's not inexplicable. Last time I saw him, it was All Da Hitz, and he did play "You Don't Know How It Feels." Last time, he wasn't promoting a new Heartbreakers album though, just Mudcrutch, so maybe he'll try to support Mojo, but I somehow doubt it.
See, Rick Rubin's production sets Wildflowers apart for me. Not necessarily because it sounds significantly different, but because Jeff Lynne isn't behind it. Plus, it's so personal.

Anyway, I'm thrilled. Petty is one of those artists, like David Bowie or Paul McCartney, that seem larger than life to me because their music has had such a strong presence throughout my life. Bowie is never going to get off his sequined space ass, and McCartney wants the deed to my house in exchange for a ticket, so I gues Petty will be the first off the list.

Now.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Sorry guys, apparently when I made this thread, I foolishly copied the links out of my e-mail, thought that it would work, but, well, they don't.

Here's the link to "Good Enough": TomPetty.com > News > Listen to 'Good Enough'

Here's the link to the tour dates: Tom Petty.com Tour

Highway Companion Club info: TomPetty.com > News > Premium Packages and Highway Companions Club Info

Official Site: TomPetty.com > Home

And I'm sure you can find anything else you want on your own
Old 02-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
War Child

Local Time: 01:48 PM
Good Enough is a standard blues song, as is the rest of the album from the rumors I've heard. Great musicianship on that track, if blues are your thing!
Old 02-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
She's the One

I've really liked every Tom petty show I've ever seen. If the dates work, and the prices aren't too bad, I'll be there.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 02:48 PM
I'd love to see him sometime, but doesn't look like that will happen this time.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:48 PM
Quote:
See, Rick Rubin's production sets Wildflowers apart for me. Not necessarily because it sounds significantly different, but because Jeff Lynne isn't behind it.
Not sure why people give Jeff Lynne such a bad rap. Full Moon Fever is fantastic, and Lynne, from his days in ELO to producing numerous records, has always been a favorite of mine.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #12
A childless dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Not sure why people give Jeff Lynne such a bad rap. Full Moon Fever is fantastic, and Lynne, from his days in ELO to producing numerous records, has always been a favorite of mine.
Oh, I wasn't speaking negatively of Lynne. I do HATE the production on Full Moon Fever though. I always feel that album is fighting an uphill battle against sterility, which is a shame, because it's clearly his best batch of songs on any 80s album.

Also, ELO is great.

Now.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:48 PM
Ah, I see.

I think the production is pretty good on it myself, although it does need a good remastering job.

Quote:
Also, ELO is great.
to that.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #14
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:48 PM
I saw Petty and The Heartbreakers in Jackson Hole, WY in 2003, it rained the whole time but it was a really fun concert...Looks like he won't even be getting that close to UT this time.

Excited for the new album
Old 02-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:48 PM
July 15, Cininnati... I AM THERE! I have seen Petty 6 times before (99, 01, 02, 05, 06, 08), and each time is a religeous experience that surpasses all for me except U2 concerts. Though his concerts can be a bit predictable as far as being a greatest hits show, those hits are so good you don't even care. If anybody has never seen Petty live, I STRONGLY recommend it. Mike Campbell is the most underrated guitarist that ever existed. He plays to fit the songs, he's not a big showboater, but he could definitely play circles around most guitarists that top these "100 greatest guitar player" lists.

Tags
mojo, the heartbreakers, tom petty