New Tom Petty Album and "Extensive" North American Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome to hear that you guys had a good time.

The man is playing the hits on this here tour. 10 of the 18 tracks from Greatest Hits on each set list? And then playing one of his (if not the) biggest post-Greatest Hits song in "You Don't Know How It Feels." Tommy is a fuckin crowd pleaser.

Also, "Honey Bee" :drool:

Awesome to hear that you guys had a good time.

The man is playing the hits on this here tour. 10 of the 18 tracks from Greatest Hits on each set list? And then playing one of his (if not the) biggest post-Greatest Hits song in "You Don't Know How It Feels." Tommy is a fuckin crowd pleaser.

Also, "Honey Bee" :drool:

This tour is NOTHING compared to last time around as far as hits go :lol:

Last show of his I saw: Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Concert Setlist at United Center, Chicago on July 2, 2008 | setlist.fm

I promised myself that the next time Tom Petty was at Summerfest I would finally make the journey up there. Looks like the time has come.

I'd pay that to see Petty in a small club. I love Tom Petty, have seen him several times. But it's pretty much the same run through the Greatest Hits everytime, and a few songs from whatever new album they're pushing. A club show might prompt some deeper cuts, which is always a good thing!

Even though it's basically the same show each time, he's so wonderful I can't help but go.

It was the second song they played on the night. Kimmel often has a band play one song, and then play another one as the show goes off-air.

The first song they did was their own song, "Like Ice Cream". And it was great.

I much prefer Britt Daniel's vocals to the other guy's. I actually think that Petty cover kinda sucks, mostly because I think the vocal kinda sucks.

I enjoy Petty a fair bit. I was watching the Foo Fighters documentary 'Back and Forth' two nights ago, and I was surprised to learn that Petty offered Grohl the full-time gig with the Heartbreakers as the drummer in 1994/5, right when Grohl was just starting the Foo Fighters. You have to respect a guy who would turn down a surefire gig like that to start his own thing, having no idea if it's going to work out or not.

Anyway, yeah, Petty and the Heartbreakers are cool. Their 1993 greatest hits is one of the better hits packages I've seen/heard.

It's new album time for the Heartbreakers. If you head over to youtube and type in Petty followed by Hypnotic Eye (new album title) there is a typically silly video of Petty playing clips of new songs from the album. Sounds very good to me.

God, I wish U2 were content to release material like this.

Is it there best work? No. But it's by far more than competent and it's not like he teased about it coming out for eons before hand, either. The only thing he did that kinda disappointed me was suggesting that this was going to be another power pop album. I don't really think that happened, but it was a weird blend of blues and power pop, which was fun.

Sounds like Petty needs to increase his Prozac doses from what I've listened to. It used to be that you could identify or at least empathize with the characters he created, but since about The Last DJ onward many of the people in his songs are unlikeable.:|

Pretty good on first listen. I'll probably end up liking this better than Mojo or Last DJ

Another solid effort from Petty and his Heartbreakers! It feels like a sequel to "MOJO", which I loved so I'm happy with this for sure! Unfortunately they're not touring anywhere near me this year. I've seen them 7 times since the mid 90s, and they're always a great show! If you have the opportunity to see them, FUCKING GO! You won't regret it. I expect they'll probably do 4-5 new songs, which is their norm.

Back
Top Bottom