New Tom Petty Album and "Extensive" North American Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tight. I just hit play on the first track. This is one of the ones he played on SNL, if I remember correctly.

"First Flash of Freedom" is one of the tracks I'd already heard. I'm not too big on it. It's pleasant, but also not very exciting. And the chorus sounds like exactly what you would sing in your head if you thought "How would the chorus on a Tom Petty song called First Flash of Freedom sound?"

Also, I know this discussion's a few months old, but I just want to say that Wildflowers=awesomeness. One of my all-time favorite albums by anybody. Course, I heard a lot of the songs from it on the radio when I was a kid, so maybe that adds to the soft spot I have for the album.

Wildflowers is Tom Petty's best album.

That is, unless Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) is offering more than meets the Joe Piscopo.

"First Flash of Freedom" is one of the tracks I'd already heard. I'm not too big on it. It's pleasant, but also not very exciting. And the chorus sounds like exactly what you would sing in your head if you thought "How would the chorus on a Tom Petty song called First Flash of Freedom sound?"

It's a little predictable, but I do love it, have since the first time I heard it. This and Good Enough are the only tracks I've yet heard.

This album is total Summerfest/Crossroads Festival fare and it's cracking me up. I also have a reason to facebook my father about something now.

Seriously, I think Tom Petty just wrote the ultimate old man album.

Haha.

I know he often gets called "Dad Rock" or even "Mom Rock."

I personally take offense to those labels. But that's probably because I'm biased and love his music so very much.

The plan:

1. Tom Petty makes Mojo
2. Eric Clapton places Tom Petty on his iPhone contacts
3. Depends and patchouli for all

Haha.

I know he often gets called "Dad Rock" or even "Mom Rock."

I personally take offense to those labels. But that's probably because I'm biased and love his music so very much.
I usually take great offense to it. I wrote a long ranty blog post once about how underrated Tom Petty is as an artist.

But if it looks like Dad Rock, sounds like Dad Rock, and Rocks like Dad Rock, it looks like Tom Petty might've just pwned Dad Rock.

Tom Petty wants candy
Bubble-gum and taffy
Went to the sweet shop with his sweetheart sandy

I assumed Candy would be about an affair with a 16 year old cheerleader that he picks up every night in his recently-purchased late '60s muscle car. Thankfully, that song is already titled Honey Bee.

"No Reason To Cry" is nice.

And we get another one of Tom's awesome pronunciations of the word "wish."

WUSH!

In spite of any other feelings I may have about the album, Tom Petty can still move me to tears with his ballads. "Something Good Coming" = Easy favorite.

The track titles for the last two are hilarious.

Something Good Is Coming

Well, it's Good Enough, at any rate.

Man, I don't know. I don't think I like the album much.

Like I said earlier, bluesy is not really what I want in my Petty. I want some upbeat, catchy rock songs. And, yes, some nice balladry. "Something Good Coming" is lovely. But, for the most part, the melodies here don't seem very original, at least on first listen. And there's like 6 or 7 of those blues based numbers that drag it down and really seem interchangeable and terribly unexciting.

I don't see myself revisiting this thing very often at all.

Nope, it's near the bottom of Tom Petty releases, easily. There were a few gems though, and he seems to be playing those live, so that should be fun, but I'll admit I'm not looking forward to 20 minute jam sessions, which I've seen him do before.

Honestly, I feel uncomfortable listening to this album knowing what the Heartbreakers stood for in the beginning. American Girl was pretty much the anti-I Want You (She's So Heavy), and now Good Enough is closing this thing. Tom Petty sounds fucking old here, not badass, and that's what I was hoping for from this.

I, too, will not be revisiting this often. The Blues doesn't grow on you; the goal is to grow out of it and move on. :wink:

Good to see more love out there for Wildflowers :up: :). Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) has good songs on it, but for some reason I don't listen to that one much. Don't know why. Hm.

*Goes to link where the new songs are* Thank you, ESPN-first time I think I've ever said that.

Interesting...hm. I really like "The Trip To Pirate's Cove", "No Reason To Cry", "I Should Have Known It" (that was one of the ones from "SNL"), and "Something Good Coming", yes, definitely agreed. "Lover's Touch" isn't too bad, either. "Don't Pull Me Over"-wow, Tom Petty does reggae (and am I the only one who is reminded a bit of "Mr. Cab Driver"? Not the same situation, but for some reason, that song popped into my head)!

Reminiscent of some of his older work-there's a slight Wildflowers feel in a couple of the songs, so yay. Kinda lengthy...I don't know... Strange little album.

Angela

So I saw Tom Petty tonight. The one thing that I came away with is that the dude is a fucking pro; it's pretty scary when one can air guitar to solos precisely at a live gig, but Mike Campbell is just that spot on. Which isn't to say that the performance felt hermetically sealed or assembly line in the slightest, not when Petty poured his heart into the vocals to the degree that he did, and not when the band clearly had a lot of fun playing the new shit (not that he had anything particularly poignant to say about the performance, although he did appear rather thankful of our presence). I had an absolutely wonderful time and, outside of a missing Even The Losers and You Wreck Me, had a dream setlist. The Mojo songs sound great too, although they were -- quite unfortunately -- bunched together:

1. Listen To Her Heart
2. You Don't Know How It Feels
3. I Won't Back Down
4. Free Fallin'
5. Oh Well
6. Mary Jane's Last Dance
7. Honey Bee
8. Breakdown
9. Jefferson Jericho Blues
10. Good Enough
11. Running Man's Bible
12. First Flash Of Freedom
13. I Should Have Known It
14. Learning To Fly
15. Don't Come Around Here No More
16. Refugee
17. Runnin' Down A Dream
18. American Girl

And yes, we did the EXACT same setlist as Thursday's gig. What of it?

I have to hand it to Petty for having the balls to play five songs in a row from his new album when he's forced to play to a crowd of the biggest posers in all of time. Yeah, I'm a bit bitter, I always have been about Tom Petty appreciation levels. I guess because I'm such a huge fan of his album work, and I don't think there really are a lot of people out there who are. Especially not my age, which was why I was disappointed to find myself once again behind a group of drunken raucous frat boys. I don't get drinking at a concert, but that's just me. Anyways, the dick in front of me was just so out of touch with reality I couldn't believe it. Screamed at the top of his lungs to each and every song, which was just so very sweet to hear, and then gets up and goes to get more beer during the next three songs once Tom played "Oh Well" and missed the next four songs. And once he got back he was onto the Mojo stuff, so yet again the guy took off for more beer. Anyways, I don't mean to shit all over everything, it just pisses me off is all. I need to not be in the nosebleed sections again for a show like that if I can avoid it.

So anyways, back to what I was saying. It was bold of Petty to play five Mojo songs, but to have played them all in a row like that took a lot of umph out of the show, unfortunately, especially in the section we were sitting in. I'm pretty sure LemonMelon and I were the only ones who knew "Good Enough", "First Flash of Freedom", and "I Should've Known It" in our section. That made for fun on its own. Especially during "Honey Bee", another song not many around us knew.

Anyways, I love this guy a whole hell of a lot, and to be able to have seen him twice in my life when he said he was done touring four years ago means a lot to me. I'll keep attending if he keeps touring, and I really hope he does. I want one more chance at front row tickets so I can look at that man's beautiful beard.

Back
Top Bottom