New Sufjan Stevens EP available now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dislike a good chunk of that album and find it unusually lacking in focus lyrically, but he gets a gold star for trying. I'm glad it exists for Impossible Soul alone.

Pretty much in agreement on the title track. Some parts work, some parts don't.

I really wish Bonnie and Imperor were still around. They'd back me up on Adz :sad: it's become my favourite Sufjie album.

I dislike a good chunk of that album and find it unusually lacking in focus lyrically, but he gets a gold star for trying. I'm glad it exists for Impossible Soul alone.

Pretty much in agreement on the title track. Some parts work, some parts don't.

Impossible Soul (which is the album's best song, a towering achievement and my favourite Sufjan song) is a nice microcosm of the album: starts and ends astonishingly well but loses a bit of shape in the middle.

I also love the lyrics on Age of Adz. There's less state-based research, less crises of faith, less excruciatingly honest family revision, but of the five albums I've heard it's the most moving set of lyrics, for me. They're selfish and self-indulgent at times, but we all have those moments. It's a very fragile, human record, which I think is an achievement in itself given how wrapped up in warped electronics it is. Much of it appears to be ostensibly about a break-up, and it's elongated and eviscerating, thrilling and ugly in equal measure.

Is "Age of Adz" (track) terrible or great? I'm not sure. Part of it makes me want to rip my ears out, but then other parts are phenomenal. But in order to appreciate the good parts, you must endure the awfulness as well. I've listened to it over and over again, but I'm still not sure. Any other opinions of the song?

Personally I think it's a stunningly good song. I think the processed horns, synths, strings and all the rest of it that surround his vocals have a soaring quality to them, that matches well the vocals. The lyrics are depressing as hell, but the music and vocals give this sense of a man trying desperately to beat away at his black shroud.

I wonder if the parts you think are phenomenal are the same ones as me - I think the really quiet parts, which come in during the song's second half, are absolutely stunning, as beautiful as anything he's ever recorded. The last 90 or so seconds might be my favourite bit of music he's ever done - the electronics slowly being stripped and falling away before it all gives way to just an acoustic guitar and Sufjan's warm, soft, vocals. I fucking adore it. It is just astonishingly beautiful.

I'm sorry if I seem self-effacing, consumed by selfish thoughts
It's only that I still love you deeply
It's all the love I got

I totally see where you're coming from though. When I first listened to the album I had no idea what to make of it - there were these brief respites from the cacophonous noise that were stunning in their beauty, but they were few and far between. But that's what kept me coming back, those moments of beauty in the madness. And now I love it dearly.

I think your comment "in order to appreciate the good parts, you must endure the awfulness as well" is pretty spot on (although obviously I wouldn't use the word awful. Dissonant, maybe. Or something). In Impossible Soul and indeed the whole record, those transcendent moments of beauty are made even better by the mess that surrounds them. It's rewarding music; you get through one sloggish part and you're rewarded with a moment of true beauty.

I don't apologise for crapping on about this album, I love it so much. I have found it very, very addictive. I see he's been playing I Want to Be Well and Vesuvius from it live lately (in addition to Futile Devices, which rules), hopefully I can catch one or both at the upcoming shows.

I also love the lyrics on Age of Adz. There's less state-based research, less crises of faith, less excruciatingly honest family revision, but of the five albums I've heard it's the most moving set of lyrics, for me. They're selfish and self-indulgent at times, but we all have those moments. It's a very fragile, human record, which I think is an achievement in itself given how wrapped up in warped electronics it is. Much of it appears to be ostensibly about a break-up, and it's elongated and eviscerating, thrilling and ugly in equal measure.
:up:
Personally I think it's a stunningly good song. I think the processed horns, synths, strings and all the rest of it that surround his vocals have a soaring quality to them, that matches well the vocals. The lyrics are depressing as hell, but the music and vocals give this sense of a man trying desperately to beat away at his black shroud.
I wonder if the parts you think are phenomenal are the same ones as me - I think the really quiet parts, which come in during the song's second half, are absolutely stunning, as beautiful as anything he's ever recorded. The last 90 or so seconds might be my favourite bit of music he's ever done - the electronics slowly being stripped and falling away before it all gives way to just an acoustic guitar and Sufjan's warm, soft, vocals. I fucking adore it. It is just astonishingly beautiful.

I'm sorry if I seem self-effacing, consumed by selfish thoughts
It's only that I still love you deeply
It's all the love I got
Agree 100%. :up: :up: Exactly what I'm talking about!

I totally see where you're coming from though. When I first listened to the album I had no idea what to make of it - there were these brief respites from the cacophonous noise that were stunning in their beauty, but they were few and far between. But that's what kept me coming back, those moments of beauty in the madness. And now I love it dearly.

I think your comment "in order to appreciate the good parts, you must endure the awfulness as well" is pretty spot on (although obviously I wouldn't use the word awful. Dissonant, maybe. Or something). In Impossible Soul and indeed the whole record, those transcendent moments of beauty are made even better by the mess that surrounds them. It's rewarding music; you get through one sloggish part and you're rewarded with a moment of true beauty.
Agree again. "Awful" was a bit too strong, but you can tell what I meant by that. Very chaotic and messy.
I don't apologise for crapping on about this album, I love it so much. I have found it very, very addictive. I see he's been playing I Want to Be Well and Vesuvius from it live lately (in addition to Futile Devices, which rules), hopefully I can catch one or both at the upcoming shows.

I love the album as well. I appreciate something new every time I listen.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I really wish Bonnie and Imperor were still around. They'd back me up on Adz :sad: it's become my favourite Sufjie album.

I like it too. That's the only tour I've seen him live on, t was great.

:up::up::up::up: glad to see there's another fan Mr Saget!

and you too, Mofo. I'd have loved to have seen him on that tour. Would have been so cool seeing him pull off those songs live. He'll never do Impossible Soul again, I'm guessing.

Yeah, Age of Adz is great. There's very little I don't like in that album, and the I Want To Be Well-Impossible Soul combo at the end is out of this world.

Those live shows were fantastic, as mofo said. I think I saw that tour 2-3 times and loved every one of the shows. Sufjan was in a completely different state of mind, a bit detached from the audience, but giving some very theatrical performances. Some of his banter was almost new agey. And the Impossible Soul live performances were a huge party, with balloons, hula hoops and dancers.

By the way, cobbler, have you ever heard You Are the Blood? It's his contribution to the Dark Was The Night Compilation put out by the Dessner brothers, and pre-dates the All Delighted People-Age of Adz releases, but some of the lyrical and musical references are present already.

I saw Sufjan live for the first time just around the release of that song, in 2009, just as I arrived in NYC. He played early versions of Impossible Soul, Age of Adz and All Delighted People then (one of the Dessler brothers was playing with Sufjan's band as a guest). You Are The Blood had in a way prepared me not to be completely shocked to hear those songs, but most of the audience was really surprised with the new direction.

Here's the setlist, by the way: Sufjan Stevens Concert Setlist at Bowery Ballroom, New York on October 5, 2009 | setlist.fm

And here's that early Impossible Soul:

Last edited:
Yeah legit, the last half an hour of Adz is fucking amazing. I LOVE I Want to Be Well. Wish I could go back in time and see the shows, I've seen a ton of YT clips but they can't compare. It'll never happen again, although the current show is brilliant as well.

I have heard You Are the Blood, like it a lot, very prescient of what was to come.

I had not heard that early Impossible Soul though. That's lovely, thanks for sharing. Bummer it ends just before it gets to the best part!

So, night one of three with Sufjan.

I last saw him in May last year, at the Sydney Opera House. Didn't expect him to be back but I'm very glad he is, particularly as I know his music much better now, I think I only had Carrie & Lowell and Illinoise at the time, maybe had just gotten Seven Swans. It's interesting, reading back through this thread, the Age of Adz copped some heat for focusing too much on that album. This tour, if anything, focuses even more on the album it's supporting. From what I can see the Age of Adz tour included more material in the main set than this tour, like Seven Swans and Chicago.

Anyway. Redford is a stunning opener, very menacing. You don't notice that Sufjan is playing at the piano and then by the time the show proper starts he's already slunk over to the mic to begin Death With Dignity. We were third row, which was super cool. Dude is SO hot. He's like, what, 40? And his arms and chest are ripped and he's just a real good-looking dude. Huge man-crush on him.

He played eight songs in a row from Carrie & Lowell, which is just so hugely impressive. It's a wonderful thing to watch. No Shade hit me harder than usual, my god what an utterly hopeless, depressing song that is. Then came a song I didn't know, Stone, which is apparently from a band he was in in the late 90s, Marzuki. Vesuvius was my highlight of the now, so stoked to hear an Adz track and it was fantastic. Went very nicely followed by Futile Devices, and then the main set closed with that stunning, 10+ minute rendition of Blue Bucket of Gold. Phenomenal, that is.

The encore had nine songs. His banter is great, he was talking about how he'd seen Stevie Wonder recently. "Songs in the Key of Life, what an album. I just do Songs in the Key of Death." Very self-deprecating and he's aware of how many of his songs are depressing. He also told a really nice story, about how he had been thinking lately of a kid that died in fourth-grade, and how the teachers told the kids that they should celebrate his life and his impact, not so much mourn, and how Sufjan was now seeing the death of his mother as something to make him stronger and happier, it was really nice.

John Wayne Gacy gave me absolute chills, Palisades was fucking wonderful. He kept forgetting the lines in Casimir, "there's so many events in this song and they're all ordered", before closing with Chicago. The whole encore was acoustic, which I thought was a bit of a bummer but it was still super nice.

I'm not sure this setlist is correct because I feel like Stone was much heavier, more rockier and upbeat (in pace, not tone) but I just listened to a live version from last year on youtube and it's quite quiet. I also don't recall Mistress being played, I haven't listened to The Avalanche but I feel like I'd remember the song being played, I thought I recognised everything in the encore.

Bring on nights two and three.

Redford (For Yia-Yia & Pappou)
Death With Dignity
Should Have Known Better
Drawn to the Blood
All of Me Wants All of You
The Only Thing
Fourth of July
No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross
Carrie & Lowell
Stone
Eugene
Vesuvius
Futile Devices
Blue Bucket of Gold

For the Widows in Paradise, For the Fatherless in Ypsilanti
The Dress Looks Nice on You
A Good Man Is Hard to Find
John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
The Mistress Witch From McClure (Or, the Mind That Knows Itself)
To Be Alone With You
The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us!
Casimir Pulaski Day
Chicago

Night two. (And from the previous night, Mistress Witch was definitely not played.) Went with bae this time, and we had shitty seats, up in the balcony, which is quite ill-shaped, meaning you had to sit forward if you wanted to see the front of the stage without people's heads in front intervening. I was super excited for bae to see the show, since she's a Sufjan fan and loves the new album (that's how she got into him) and I knew she'd love the show. Before she met me the only concert she'd been to was Aqua, and though she has quite good taste in music, she'd not ventured out much. We saw Hot Chip a couple weeks back and she said it was the best thing she'd ever seen; so, without taking credit away from one of my all-time favourite groups, I knew she'd love this show even more.

Eugene replaced All of Me Wants All of You early in the set, and in fact the latter was almost completely relegated; (it later appeared in an acoustic form in the encore, which was hella nice but not as good as the Adz-ified version he's been playing. It was also the second night in a row he didn't play John My Beloved, which seems a little weird as all the C&L songs go down well. Anyway)

I swear Drawn to the Blood was different from the night before. There were quite a few songs that I could have sworn were done a little differently, but I might be wrong. Anyway Drawn to the Blood came to a phenomenal closure, very nearly moved me to tears, and tonight it was The Only Thing that cut me real deep, god that was good, and it has a great instrumental swell towards the end of the song. I could listen to Fourth of July for years. There is something so amazing about seeing a band go hard at it, lights flashing everywhere as the refrain "we're all gonna die" is endlessly repeated.

The Owl and the Tanager replaced Stone, I don't dig it a hell of a lot on the record but it's quite good live; it's quite epic and sprawling in a hushed way over its six minutes. Bae loved it and even picked up on it before I did. Vesuvius, again, was spectacular, probably the highlight and perhaps even better than the night before. The graphics on the panel screens are fucking awesome, and as the song roars to this monstrous, volcanic crescendo there's flames and shit being animated on the screens behind. It's so fucking good. I Want to Be Well followed and it was great, featured some decidedly Floyd-esque guitar playing but I was slightly bummed the "I'm not fucking around / I want to be well" part didn't reach the same heights as it does on the record, it's taken down a notch, which probably suits the show a bit better, but still. But then, it was still great to hear. Blue Bucket of Gold, shit. I've spilled plenty of words about it before but I thought its conclusion was even more nuts tonight, the drummer nearly breaking his kit as it reached a thunderous conclusion. So good.

The encore was a lot shorter, All the Trees of the Field the only different track. Supposedly UFO Sighting, Casimir and Palisades were all on the setlist but considering they've been a bit off-base so far I'm not so sure about that. Owl and the Tanager probably cut some time, as did I Want to Be Well. Widows is such a fucking good song.

Can't wait for the third and final show tonight. Think we're a pretty decent chance of getting Heirloom, which is quickly becoming one of my fav Sufjan songs, but what I really really want to hear is Sister. Fingers crossed it gets in there somehow. That's my white whale.

Redford (for Yia-Yia and Pappou)
Death with Dignity
Should Have Known Better
Eugene
Drawn to the Blood
The Only Thing
Fourth of July
Carrie & Lowell
The Owl and the Tanager
Vesuvius
I Want to Be Well
Futile Devices

For the Widows in Paradise, for the Fatherless in Ypsilanti
All the Trees of the Field Will Clap their Hands
The Dress Looks Nice on You
To Be Alone with You
Chicago

Third and final night and alas, no Heirloom, nor Sister. I guess there's always next tour :sigh: or maybe he'll magically have dates in Europe when I go visit bae.

It was ~probably~ my least favourite show of the three, but still great. Carrie & Lowell came early in the set, that song deserves a lot more credit. Really great song, and it just goes to another level after the "my lucky charm..." part, live 10x more so, it's really glorious to watch. Drawn to the Blood was completely different tonight, a more electro take on it, Sufjan not playing guitar, just singing. Very cool. John My Beloved finally appeared and was very, very nice. "In a manner of speaking I'm dead." And those soft, floating backing vocals and lovely little piano touches.

Sadly the main set was a song shorter tonight. Futile Devices led into Vesuvius, which was slightly changed up again and not as great as the two nights previous, but still ruled. Hell of a song, and I would have to imagine that even non-Adz fans would love Vesuvius at the very least. Elsewhere, Fourth of July continues to be fucking incredible, making me cry again, just such a desperately sad yet powerful song. Blue Bucket of Gold live, fuck, I'll keep mentioning it til the very end of my days. I also want to shout out the final lines of both No Shade - "there's blood on that blade / fuck me, I'm falling apart" and Eugene - "now I'm drunk and afraid / wishing the world would go away / what's the point of singing songs, if they'll never even hear you..." for praise. Eugene is a really great song and it's very lovely live; short, sweet, but it's the graphics that help it - a sun setting over clouds, and it just dips below the clouds during those final lines.

Seven songs in the encore, which is where Sufjie forgets most of his lyrics. UFO Sighting, iYup's girlfriend's favourite song if I'm not mistaken, tonight. Widows is great, has definitely gone up in my estimation after hearing it these three nights. Romulus was a nice little surprise, one of the better tunes on Michigan. I'd have preferred a number of other Sufjan songs but it was still really nice, and very funny when he stopped the song... "what's the next line?" Dawn whispers to him, "about your grandpa". "Ohh that's right, my grandpa dying. Fucking hell." John Wayne Gacy again, very great live, he even did the subtle intake of breath that's on the studio track. If you can listen to this song without getting chills... you might not be human. Then Chicago again to close. It's weird, but honestly I reckon Chicago is just not that great. I mean, it's one of those great indie rock songs of the mid-2000s but I doubt it would make my top 20 or 30 Sufjan songs. Bit overrated in my view, although the full band version would be better.

Redford (for Yia-Yia & Pappou)
Death With Dignity
Shoulda Known Better
Carrie & Lowell
Drawn to the Blood
John My Beloved
Eugene
The Only Thing
Fourth of July
Futile Devices
Vesuvius
Blue Bucket of Gold

Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland Illinoise
For the Widows in Paradise, the Fatherless in Ypsilanti
That Dress Looks Nice on You
Romulus
John Wayne Gacy Jnr
Chicago

Awesome that you got a three-night opportunity with old Sufjan, Cobbler. Personally I don't know if I could see that show again. It was so riveting the first time that it seems like it needs to be held sacred now.

The subtle changes for most of the songs, as well as throwing the setlist around, make it interesting, but I take your point. It's a very special show, very coherent and consistent in its theme.

Anyone have thoughts on the All Delighted People "EP" (it's still nearly an hour long)? I really dig it quite a bit.

For me there was the venue aspect as well - outside just as the sun was going down on a near perfect summer day. That extended outro to Blue Bucket of Gold just as it was getting dark was about as powerful a concert experience as I've ever had.

Sounds like a great three-show run, Cobbler. You managed to get some rarities in there, which is cool.

I Want to Be Well this tour lacks some of the punch of the Age of Adz tour, but it's still an awesome song. Glad you got it. That Dress Looks Nice on You is a personal favorite too.

You can read my full, actually-somewhat-well-written review of the three nights here, (which I get paid for!! woo!!) but my main point was the contrast between the main set and the encore, which blew me away upon reflection.

Finally, the band comes to a halt, and walk smiling, sweaty to the front of the stage to a standing ovation. It is obviously a cathartic moment for Sufjan, who has not spoken a word to this point – indeed it’s not until the encore that we see the real Sufjan, all self-deprecating, goofy and, well, happy.

All these songs are inherently beautiful; moving in their simplicity, captivating in their studied, storied lyricism. But what is most striking about this acoustic encore is just how at peace Sufjan seems to be. He tells the audience how he has been writing the setlist each night to Stevie Wonder’s masterpiece Songs in the Key of Life, noting the irony with a wry laugh, “nearly all of my songs are about death. This is Songs in the Key of Death.”

It is quite remarkable, watching a man with so many depressing songs bring a genuine sense of gravitas to a room that has spent the past two hours crying, but as Sufjan tells us, “this isn’t meant to be a funeral”. His mother’s death, and all the death and misery he had seen before it, he says, has led to a period of healing and allowed him to live a fuller, happier life.

Late last year, Sufjan was closing his shows, ridiculously, with a cover of Drake’s ‘Hotline Bling’. He’s moved on from that now, favouring the upbeat crowd favourite ‘Chicago’, his best-known song. But as Shawn Cooke wrote for Pitchfork, ‘Hotline Bling’ was a “well-earned triumph”, a moment of celebration after a string of intensely personal songs that clearly still move Sufjan deeply.

On the final night of his Melbourne stay Sufjan takes a breath, smiles, and introduces ‘Chicago’ as a song about travel, moving forward with your life. It, too, is a well-earned triumph and ensures everyone in the building leaves with a smile on their face knowing that they, too, can overcome their darkest moments. All things go, all things go.

Kanye just tweeted Death with Dignity.

In the same photo, you can see that Kanye has Piratebay opened in another tab.

Sounds like an awesome experience cobl. The footage I've seen from his live shows are really great. It looks like a very different and unique concert going experience. More of a show that you sit back, let the music engulf you and enjoy the art instead of going crazy. Plus, the fact you got to see him three shows in a row is pretty cool.
Just curious, are his shows pretty pricey?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah, much more of a sit down show. Vesuvius was the only song I wanted to really get up and about.

Not sure about the States but tickets were $85 Australian dollars.

I'm really falling for the All Delighted People "EP", gang. It started with Heirloom, which is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard, I love it so much. For someone who trades so much in depressing, harrowing work, it's really lovely and uplifting. The title track is terrific, goes without saying, that's the one most people are probably drawn to. Then I really dig Djohariah. Then, slowly but surely, the album's other songs begin to worm their way into your heart - Enchanting Ghost, From the Mouth of Gabriel, Arnika. God, he's brilliant.

I was just listening to this EP yesterday for the first time in a while.
It's really great, it's basically an album. "Heirloom" is definitely my favorite. One of the best Sufjan songs out there IMO.
And I'm in agreement with you on the rest.
I swear to God, "A Sun Came" is a new addition to Spotify. Maybe I'm crazy and I've never seen it on there, but I think they just added it. Don't know much about it, but I'm gonna try to give a listen either tonight or tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Avalanche is really good. A lot of quality songs on there.
"Dear Mr. Computer", "No Man's Land", and "Pittsfield" are probably my favorites. I also prefer the acoustic version of "Chicago" over the album version.

Still need to hear Enjoy Your Rabbit.

So I've been listening to The Avalanche a few times lately.
"Pittsfield" is such a beautiful song, one of his best IMO.
Hey Cobbler. Do you have any thoughts about "Pittsfield"? I always really enjoy reading your thoughts about Sufjan. You're in-depth analysis is a lot better than I can articulate. I'm not much of a music expert, but I know when I like something. [emoji1]

Blue Bucket of Gold is a true work of art. I don't think I have ever come across something so devastating and so beautiful at the same time. It's brought into sharper focus for me in that I have a friend who has been drifting away lately for a variety of legitimate reasons - the atmosphere of the song captures the desperation to keep a relationship alive so poignantly.

Yes, it is wonderful. I saw him live in Sydney last year, flew there from Melbourne with a girl I really liked who did not reciprocate feelings, and when he played that song it absolutely crushed me, in the best ways.

Back
Top Bottom