New Sufjan Stevens EP available now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seven Swans is comparable to Carrie & Lowell in that it is consistently excellent throughout (whereas I think Michigan and Illinois have more ups and downs). There are so many great songs there... The Dress Looks Nice on You is my favorite, but Size Too Small, Seven Swans, Sister, In the Devil's Territory, All the Trees..., and the Transfiguration are all fantastic.

Well I've heard three albums now, Illinoise, Seven Swans and Carrie & Lowell and they're all extremely good. Illinoise has so many great songs but as you saw Seven Swans and Carrie & Lowell are much more consistent and easier to digest (that's not a knock though). I'll hit up Michigan before the gig too.

I'm not ready to do a Rushmore but these are the songs in contention:

John Wayne Gacy Jr, Chicago, Casimir Pulaski Day, The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts, The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is Out To Get Us!, Death With Dignity, Should Have Known Better, Fourth of July :)drool:), In the Devil's Territory, Sister.

Age of Adz and the All Delighted People EP are also great, cobbler. Make sure to check them out.

I think Age of Adz goes a bit overboard at times, but I love the indulgence of Impossible Soul. That and I Want To Be Well are my favorite songs there.

Futile Devices works very well with the Carrie & Lowell songs in his new tour.

Yeah, I just don't like his beats very much. We all have our gifts and I don't think electronic music is one of his; its inclusion is more distracting for me than anything else. I don't hear much of a lyrical center either, the way his earlier records did.

But I agree that Impossible Soul is awesome in its ambition.

I listened to Age Of Adz for the first time in a long while just now.

Futile Devices, Age of Adz, I Walked, Vesuvius, I Want To Be Well and Impossible Soul are all fantastic. Vesuvius is probably my absolute favorite. Lyrics aren't that important to me, except if I know they're very good so what draws me most to Sufjan's music are his melodies. And there are just as many great melodies on Age of Adz as there are on his other albums. They're buried beneath some weird electronics sometimes but that only makes it more rewarding after a few listens.

I love Carrie & Lowell so much that when I went back and listened to Illinoise it almost sounded silly by comparison (except for John Wayne Gacy). For me Carrie & Lowell is his masterpiece. The emotional complexity and lyrical maturity, blended with the simple but beautiful and catchy melodies makes it his most accomplished record in my opinion.

I also like Age of Adz more than most people and agree with niels on all the above songs.

The Age of Adz tour was pretty awesome, how is he performing those songs on this tour?

Joyful, i still probably prefer Illinoise, but I like Carrie & Lowell more than anything else he's done.

Sufjan has to be at the top of my list to see live, especially this tour....wish he was coming near here.

Carrie and Lowell is easily my most listened to album of 2015

Come to Utah Soof!

The Age of Adz tour was pretty awesome, how is he performing those songs on this tour?

Joyful, i still probably prefer Illinoise, but I like Carrie & Lowell more than anything else he's done.

I haven't checked all the setlist, but I think he's only playing Futile Devices and The Owl and the Tanager from the Age of Adz/All Delighted People Era. He's played them pretty bare bones, the later on solo piano.

Interestingly, though, he added some Age of Adz-style beats in some Carrie & Lowell songs, and it worked great (All of Me Wants All of You is a good example).

I'm quite amazed by how many people consider Carrie & Lowell to be his best album. It's pretty rare, I feel, for a well-established artist with a number of well-loved albums to release a new one after a five-year break and for it to be considered a new high watermark.

I quite like it but I don't feel as strongly about it as everyone else seems to. It's very consistent and coherent (and really good) but Death With Dignity, Should Have Known Better and Fourth of July are well ahead of all the other tracks imo. Might listen to Michigan this arvo.

I'm quite amazed by how many people consider Carrie & Lowell to be his best album. It's pretty rare, I feel, for a well-established artist with a number of well-loved albums to release a new one after a five-year break and for it to be considered a new high watermark.

I quite like it but I don't feel as strongly about it as everyone else seems to. It's very consistent and coherent (and really good) but Death With Dignity, Should Have Known Better and Fourth of July are well ahead of all the other tracks imo. Might listen to Michigan this arvo.

Well, my mom died a few years ago, and we had a difficult relationship, so it was a given that this record would totally wreck me.

I think every song on it has something special going on - a lyric, a vocal, a chord change, an instrument, something, that just gets me.

Yeah it seems to have struck a chord in that regard with a few people. I didn't mean to imply people were wrong/stupid for having it as their favourite or anything. Just that it hasn't resonated as strongly with me.

I will totally agree with your second sentence, though, definitely. There's something in every song that makes me nod my head. As several have pointed out the ambient outros are really something.

I like Michigan a good deal, but I don't think it has the songs that Illinoise has. I find UFO, John Wayne Gacy, Chicago and Casimir Pulaski Day are better than anything in Michigan, even though the latter is a bit more consistent.

Yeah it seems to have struck a chord in that regard with a few people.

I feel certain I'd still love it very, very much without the personal connection but that connection probably did push it to another level for me.

I feel The Only Thing doesn't get enough love.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Guys, tomorrow morning (at 6:45am :crazy:) I am flying to Sydney with a girl I have had a huge crush on for like a year to see Sufjan Stevens. I'm nervous, excited, anxious, can't wait :)

I like Michigan a good deal, but I don't think it has the songs that Illinoise has. I find UFO, John Wayne Gacy, Chicago and Casimir Pulaski Day are better than anything in Michigan, even though the latter is a bit more consistent.

I thought Vito's Ordination Song, Romulus, Holland, Upper Peninsula, Tahquenetcetc Falls, They Also Mourn... were all really good. Four albums I've heard now, and they're all really really good. Ridiculous.

I actually did hear Age of Adz when it came out, in true Cobbler style I downloaded it having not heard any of his other work, I recall getting a couple of songs in and turning it off :lol:

Well, my mom died a few years ago, and we had a difficult relationship, so it was a given that this record would totally wreck me.

I think every song on it has something special going on - a lyric, a vocal, a chord change, an instrument, something, that just gets me.

Cases in point: the chimes/synths/shimmery guitar/whatever it is in the background of Blue Bucket of Gold, "I want to save you from your sorrow" in The Only Thing, the piano in John My Beloved.

I like every song. All of Me Wants All of You is another brilliant song.

Guys, tomorrow morning (at 6:45am :crazy:) I am flying to Sydney with a girl I have had a huge crush on for like a year to see Sufjan Stevens. I'm nervous, excited, anxious, can't wait :)

Cases in point: the chimes/synths/shimmery guitar/whatever it is in the background of Blue Bucket of Gold, "I want to save you from your sorrow" in The Only Thing, the piano in John My Beloved.

I like every song. All of Me Wants All of You is another brilliant song.

Well, that's the sweetest thing! Sufjan whispering "We're all gonna die" might not be exactly the most romantic thing in the world but you could have an intense and bonding experience together. What a lucky girl.

I hope he comes back around to somewhere near me. I had a ticket for his last tour but broke a toe the day before the show and couldn't drive to Denver.

It's "I want to save you from your sorrow" and what happens immediately following that line that kills me. I crank it up in the car every time.

All of Me was the song that first drew me in on the NPR stream.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So Sufjan was just phenomenal. Was at the Sydney Opera House (which is obviously impressive from the outside but it's not much different to any old concert hall inside imo). Huge room, but right from the outset that didn't seem to matter. The crowd was very respectful, clapping at the end of songs and cheering but never interrupting during songs.

The setlist:

Redford
Death With Dignity
Shoulda Known Better
Drawn to the Blood
All of Me Wants All of You
Eugene
John My Beloved
The Only Thing
Fourth of July
No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross
Carrie & Lowell
Owl and the Tanager
In the Devil's Territory
Heirloom
Futile Devices
That Dress Looks Nice On You
Blue Bucket of Gold

Concerning the UFO Sighting...
Casimir Pulaski Day
Palisades
Chicago

I sometimes get edgy when artists play slow, quiet songs in big venues but I need not have worried at all. It was just Sufjan on piano for the first song, and then a seriously impressive run where he played the new album very nearly in full AND in the correct order, something I've never really experienced before. As gump mentioned All of Me Wants All of You has been completely reworked and it sounds terrific. All the songs sounded really good (how quietly intense is the ending to John My Beloved?! "In a matter of speaking, I'm dead", and then it just cuts out. Also Eugene, which is maybe my least favourite on the record, was really nice) and those ambient outros were just fantastic. The aesthetics were great as well. We were a long way back but there was a drummer, two, sometimes three guitarists and a horns man. He had about eight lengthy diamond-shaped screens which showed alternately colours and footage I assume from his childhood. I must make special mention of Fourth of July, which might be the song of the year, and it was just. fucking. amazing. Really fucking takes off with the addition of drums as well, you get this incredible mix of "we're all gonna die" as it is on the album, hushed and haunting, and then barely audible underneath a mountain of noise.

Up next were a series of songs I didn't know (aside from In the Devil's Territory, which was fucking great, love that song), none of which particularly took my fancy on the night (I was also a combination of tired, having been up since 5am, had just pretty much skolled a glass of merlot and I was also a bit bummed about some personal manners) but all of which were good.

Then came what was undoubtedly the highlight of the night - Blue Bucket of Gold. I already liked the song but I just can't do justice with words about how fucking mindblowing this performance was. It extends out to about 10 minutes and just absolutely roars into a monstrous crescendo, and it was fucking spectacular with the lights - there were disco balls behind the long diamond screens and those combined with the stage lights combined with the amazing sounds coming from stage was just something else. The song absolutely destroyed me, in more ways than one, and has taken on a new meaning that really sucks and is strangely comforting at the same time. I know he's talking about his mum on this album, but the great thing about lyrics is you're kinda free to read into them whatever you like.

The encore was all songs from Illinoise. UFO Sighting is a great song, I don't think he quite played the whole thing but it was very good. Casimir Pulaski Day was great in how quiet it was for much of it. Also a great song. When he introduced Palisades he was like "I was gonna play another song about death" and everyone lol'd and then he introduced it saying it was a song about flying objects and I got super excited thinking it might be Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts, but the disappointment didn't last long as Palisades is great too. He closed with Chicago... weirdly, since it was the first song of his that I really went "man this is great" I actually wouldn't have been shattered if he didn't play it. He played Sister the night before and I would have killed for that song. Still, it sounded great and was an awesome way to end a really excellent show. Everyone who has seen him is right, he is so very good and I am so happy that I got into him a few months ago.

Great post. :up:

I'm jealous as I missed out on tickets to see him later this year.

Glad you enjoyed it, cobbler. Blue Bucket of Gold really was something else. Best moment of the show by far.

Shame you didn't get Sister, but Casimir Pulaski Day is a good replacement and fits, thematically, I guess.

I was out of town when he was in Chicago. All these comments about the show are making that hurt all the more.

Back
Top Bottom